Blackadder's Attempt To Build a Lucius Patten Imperator

Blackadder

You've gotta check in more often :D

Just Another Energy Cannon;

Not bloody likely.

So after all that work I'm covering it with a sheet of Plastic

9djtpnRl.jpg

But I'll make it removable for painting and displaying the interior.

UEKzy6dl.jpg

I have to admit I really like this design

d7EsNbRl.jpg

I believe it's an worthy complement to the Plasma Blaster without being just another energy weapon.

You've gotta check in more often :biggrin.:

Just Another Energy Cannon;

Not bloody likely.

cheaper option mount this at the elbow:

owk1cvo.jpg

I'm kidding of course. Though it would make hit rolls easier to address since you can just shoot darts and any model hit counts as a hit.

I'll pretend I didn't see that nerf cannon. Smacks forehead.

Anyway

The Cowl,

One of the interesting features of this weapon is the cowl.

I began with just a curved piece of 0.020 inch ( 0,5 mm) styrene and reinforced the underside to lock into place on the rotating breach.

I then began to reinforce the underlayment seen here with 0.080 inch (2,0 mm) stringers.

See image below:

dXaRULQl.jpg

This is the fun part because I had to figure out how to build this without gluing it to the underlying structure; sort of in mid-air.

I need to have this removable so I can paint the thing. Plus I'd like to pop off the cowl to show the underlying work.  

The cowl had to be modified from the original because of the greater diameter of the gun barrels and the greater length.

Project For a Rainy Day

It's been quite a while since I began this particular weapon; November 14, 2021 to be precise.

Actually it's quite an involved construction and three months isn't that long.

Last evening I put the finishing touches on the inner framework and am ready to apply the secondary stringers.

The hard part is that I want to be able to remove this cowling occasionally so it has to be rigid enough to maintain its shape when standing alone:

4vpC3Qbl.jpg

And in place on the barrel assembly:

5OvrZWwl.jpg

The front quarter view reveals the modifications necessary to accommodate the larger caliber barrels:

KmXQHaol.jpg

Next the mount arm adaptor.

A Cure for a Rainy Day.

For the first time I've set the main weapons side by side in their relative mount positions on the model and I have to say I'm pleased with the result.

Both weapons still need a lot of detail work but as far as size and balance they seem to be compatible; neither overpowering nor outsized for the Titan itself.

LnXygLDl.jpg

Someone voiced concern that the Gatling Blaster would be out of place and was too big for the model but I believe the scale is proper.

It does not have the sleekness of the Plasma Cannon but when paired up with the Quake Cannon (to be addressed at a later date) I think it will serve as a proper addition to the arsenal.

ixQpY8ql.jpg

I figured I'll take an image before I cover the barrel cowl with sheet styrene but the more I look at it the more I think it a crime to cover all that detail.

I can't decide....

Opinions would be greatly welcomed. :D

I wouldn’t personally cover it - it’s a beautiful piece right now as is - if you wanted to give the impression of additional armor, you could try to thicken it up between the supports, but I think it will paint up with a really cool pattern the way it is and looks just fine.

The whole Titan is magnificent, it’s amazing watching you work on this creation!

If each boltgun is revered and individualised, how much more so the Imperator? And if each Imperator is revered and individualised, then this beast is remarkable for its similarity to the Mars-pattern Emperors rather than for its differences.

So you have more license for artisitic license, if you needed it :)

At risk of derailing the thread; have you decided on (or against) a particular Titan Legion?

Perhaps have a cowl for the weapon but leave it removable?

Maybe some strong magnets to "lock" it place when displayed with the cowl on?

Best of both worlds this way, and if the titan gets weapon options in the future you can store the gatling with the cowl on to prevent scuffing.

Edited by Wulf Vengis

Thar's GOLD in Them Thar Recyclables:

I haven't calculated but I'd be willing to bet I'm close to a thousand+ dollars invested in materials on this project.

So anything I can do to defray costs is a bonus.

This past winter with its wind storms the local Exxon and Starbuck which are both within a mile of my residence had their advert signage blown away onto my property.

oYHUcEjl.jpg

RM810Vfl.jpg

It fell on me to remove the refuse and as luck would have it the signs were made of 0.020 inch (0.5 millimeter) high grade polystyrene in almost 2/3 of a square yard sheets (~half a square meter.).

Normally a sheet of this size would run me about  $12-15 bucks at the local wholesale plastic distributer.

xE0nWGnl.jpg

I rescued about a couple of $100 dollars worth in a few minutes. Enough to reskin the Emperor Titan if I were so inclined.

4BLLGVQl.jpg

Keep an eye out for such windfalls if you're into scratch building projects

You should leave the text on the outside and add some more.

Come here and earn your rewards traitors!

But, I'm really liking the way the cannon is moving.

I'd stick to what you've covered up to now. The upper fairing looks wicked.

Keep it up!

The Magazine and Loader Assembly:

kKuKqxVl.jpg

I had to do a lot of redesigning to make the rear stock assembly work with the chosen hanger arm joint.

lIcTNaPl.jpg 

The rear assembly will be hollow and filled with sand bags to counterbalance the forward weight.

I'm going to increase the mount arm robustness because while substantial enough to hold the weapons weight it looks too small compared to the weapon's overall size.

I toyed with the inspiration to have the ammo belt come out of the main body of the hull removing the necessity of making an ammo  drum.

We'll see how that shakes out after I complete mounting the current arm assembly.

The body fed amo drum is a cool idea. But you do run the risk of catastrophic internal ammo explosions when the magazine is compromised (a la mech warrior 2). Resulting in premature loss of your god machine.

Anyway, the weapon looks great. Very nice build!