Initial Word Bearers 2500 pt list

ronin_cse

Hey all!

Trying to come up with my first real HH list based mostly on the models I already have. Let me know if there are any glaring issues here. I'll post my explanations after the list:

+++ WB 2500 HH (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy v49) (2500pts) +++

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List v210) ++

+ HQ +

········Legion Centurion [Artificer Armour, Burning Lore, Power Weapon]
············Consul [Chaplain]

········Lorgar [Lorgar Transfigured]

········Zardu Layak

+ Elites +

········Contemptor Dreadnought Talon
············Legion Contemptor Dreadnought [Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Graviton Gun, Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons]

········Gal Vorbak Dark Brethren [4x Dark Brethren, Plasma gun]
············Dark Martyr [Artificer Armour, Power Fist]

+ Troops +

········Legion Tactical Squad [Dark Channelling, 19x Legion Tactical Space Marines]
············Additional Wargear [Chainswords/Combat Blades, Legion Vexilla]
············Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Tainted Weapon]

········Legion Terminator Squad [Chainfist, Dark Channelling, Land Raider Phobos, 4x Legion Terminators, Plasma Blaster, 3x Power Fist, Tartaros Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon]
············Legion Terminator Sergeant [Grenade Harness]

········Legion Veteran Tactical Squad [9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Veteran Tactics: Marksmen]
············Additional Wargear [2x Missile Launcher with Suspensor Web and Flakk Missiles]
············Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier
················Combi-weapon [Combi-weapon: Meltagun]
············Legion Veteran Sergeant [bolt Pistol, Bolter, Chainsword/Combat Blade]

+ Fast Attack +

········Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod [Frag Assault Launchers]

+ Heavy Support +

········Legion Vindicator Siege Tank Squadron
············Legion Vindicator Tank [Combi-Bolter, Laser Destroyer Array]
················Combi-weapon [Combi-weapon: Flamer]

+ Legion +

········Legiones Astartes [  XVII: Word Bearers, Traitor]

········Rite of War [Primarch's Chosen]

+ Force Organization +

········Force Organization
············Battles in the Age of Darkness [ Age of Darkness Primary Detachment]

+ No Force Org +

········Adding a LoW

Created with BattleScribe

The Dreadclaw is the only model I don't own yet but I think it's probably about time I get one.

Anyways Lorgar will join the big blob of tactical marines and will take levitate in order to move them around. The chaplain will join them as well for zealot and I'm thinking I'll still Zardu in there too. Zardu is there because I want some more PD and I want to take burning lore on a couple units and he's cheaper than a librarian and diabolist together. The dreadnought is there just because I like dreads and I want to use it ;). Gal Vorbak are just awesome so of course they are in the list, obviously they will go in the drop pod. Despite not being great big units of tactical marines just feel like one of the hall marks of a 30k force to me, plus I don't really have a good place to put Lorgar without it until I can afford a Spartan and some more Gal Vorbak. Terminators are there just as a hard to move troop choice that can also do some dmg in CC, tartaros because I want to sweeping advance and because my cataphractii are spoken for in another army. Veterans are the same, just another troop choice to take objectives. Finally I have the Vindicator for some AA help. I plan on trying to summon a little with Zardu, probably a burning chariot or something. Not expecting a whole lot.

Looking it over again I think I I'm a little light on AA. I could try to fit in a heavy support squad or a support squad with meltas or something. Anything else and I'll have to get more stuff.

Anyways thanks in advance for any advice!

Primarch's Chosen Limitation: The number of units with the Legiones Astartes special rule in this detachment must be greater than the units without the Legiones Astartes special rule in total.

Lorgar, Gal Vorbak, the dread, and the tanks don't have it. So that leaves you with 5 units with Legiones Astartes and 7 without by my count. Swapping the Vindicator for a rapier battery could get you to 6/6. Splitting that into 2 batteries of 1-2 each would get you to 7/6 and would thus be legal. There's other changes that'd work of course, but that's a relatively easy and effective one.

Maybe you are a bit low on scoring units especially if you get the daemon rolling on dark chanelling (which is more likely with Zardu +1 running around)

Not sure that plasma on GV is the best equipment. Your centu would need a refractor field, not sure that you need a chap, the std centu can do the job cause you already have Zardu to give zaelot smile.png There is also a lottle trick that I read in the WB thread: put a burning lore chap with a tainted weapon. If you get Iron Arm it gives you a str 7 ap 2 ID guy that strikes at init 5. If you don't get it you can still stick to you normal power weapon that comes with the chap. If you want to play a bit more you can stay with a normal centu and give him a power fist and a tainted weapon to get +1 A. Quite expensive though. In any other way I don't think the tainted weapon is worth it on serg dudes.

Why the combi flamer on the vindic ?

Same question for the vet serg: why a combi melta if you plan to run your vet with ML they should not get that close x)

@Erren: or run the POTL instead of the primarch's chosen but the VP for destroying the vets and the termies will be an easy one especially if termies tunr into daemon ^^

Gah, forgot about that limitation....and PotL has a similar rule (majority need to be LA)

I guess I felt like I had more scoring units but it really is only 3, I had a support squad in there before so maybe I'll add it back in. I could always split up the big tactical squad too. I kind of have a soft spot for plasma and I tend to take it too much, I suppose with just a 3+ on them it's not worth it.

Hmmmm I guess I went with a Chaplain just because it felt fluffy. If I split up the tactical blob then having two units with zealot wouldn't hurt. I'll consider making him just a centurion. The tainted weapon thing is also a possibility. The sarg has a tainted weapon again just for fluff reasons msn-wink.gif. Maybe I'll change to a power weapon.

The vindicator has a combi-flamer because I picked combi-weapon and didn't pick the type. I only have a combi-weapon on it because it's a 5 point upgrade and gives me less of a chance to lose the main weapon if it gets a pen result of weapon destroyed. The combi-melta is actually on the Rhino carrying the veteran squad.

Thanks for the advice so far! All very useful

Edit: do the dedicated transports count against my LA ratio?

Yeah, dedicated transports count for your ratio. It's one of the things that's helped my Ironwing DA lists, but really hurt Primarch's Chosen and PotL lists I've tried to plan.

If you're ever looking for 5 points, I recommend dropping the extra weapon on the Vindicator. It mitigates 1/6 of pen results half the time. Assuming that that pen isn't followed up by more shooting that destroys it before your next turn. Assuming that that pen doesn't remove your last hull point and you're wrecked anyways. Weapon Destroyed just doesn't crop up that much compared to the myriad other uses for 5 points. And if your one weapon is destroyed, you can always use the tank to block LOS and tank shock things annoyingly until your opponent wastes more shooting at it.

Archived