Emperor's Spears covered by A D B

Kelborn

• 4 weeks later...

Per A D-B’s Facebook, The Emperor’s Spear is in the final stretch!

Hey Aaron, you keep talking about the big bucks, man. Asnwer the call of the Inner Circle, already. Besides, at some point you need to explain how Sorael got off Cadia before it exploded.

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case some eager spears fan missed it - A D-B wrote the following on his FB:

A word on research, as I reach the last lap on SPEAR OF THE EMPEROR:

The theme/vibe/central conceit of this novel is: "What is it like to be a human in the presence of Space Marines?" To live every day surrounded by that impossible focus, mindset, and insane physicality.

Over the course of this novel I've talked to firefighters, cops, soldiers, scientists, a priest, a doctor, a paramedic, a pilot, and a prison guard. I also drew on a bunch of stories once told to me by a deck gunner on the HMS Belfast.

I want to say I hope all of this shows in the final novel, sure. But it's so humbling to hear these perspectives and memories offered up with such emotion and clarity. I've never been on a sinking ship, but I bloody well feel like I have, after hearing about in such scary detail.

You sort of just... assume stuff, especially because of exposure to movies. You assume you know what you'd do in a burning building, and what it would be like. Then people with experience tell you the real deal, and it looks, feels, and sounds like nothing you thought you knew.

The same with a baby that stops breathing as soon as it's born. You know the fear from imagining the worst when your own kids were born; you know what a doctor can do to fix it. But the emotion. The minutiae. The options. The feeling of doing it in front of panicking parents.

I worked in a bar in my late-teens / early 20s, where several of the regulars were WW2 vets. PoWs who'd spent time in Japanese camps, describing their treatment. The aforementioned HMS Belfast deck gunner, talking about the sound, feel, and smell of the guns.

This book is personal, maybe because of there being so many of people's memories and experiences in it, and how I tried to do them justice. I don't pretend it'll be perfect and awesome - it's not about famous characters or grand events. But it's been a weirdly personal journey.

Edited by Rathamanti

lmao for the longest while I was like, 'did ADB change his username or start a second account??'  

also, obligatory - damn, that was fast. unless he's been working on it for like, 2 years and just didn't tell us

Edited by Apothecary Vaddon

lmao for the longest while I was like, 'did ADB change his username or start a second account??'  

also, obligatory - damn, that was fast. unless he's been working on it for like, 2 years and just didn't tell us

Started it February 2017.

So just as slow as ever, I'm afraid.

Edited by A D-B

Sorry, I should have been more clear :)

Looking forward to buying my copy. Is there a release date set yet?

Looking forward to buying my copy. Is there a release date set yet?
I think Aaron mentioned that he hoped for Q3 or 4 of 2018 in the AMA. Edited by Rathamanti

• 1 month later...
Really looking forward to the spears book coming out. Has ADB mentioned what the marines look like in regards to any tribal markings, tattoos, etc? Is long hair prevalent? Shaved heads? Clean cut? I am really keen to collect an army of them. But i want to know how they will look so i dont have to replace heads later.

Really looking forward to the spears book coming out. Has ADB mentioned what the marines look like in regards to any tribal markings, tattoos, etc? Is long hair prevalent? Shaved heads? Clean cut? I am really keen to collect an army of them. But i want to know how they will look so i dont have to replace heads later.

A D-B mentioned a couple of things about how they look in my Emperor’s Spears army log:

- The First Company has the trident marking on their helmets, like in my avatar. A lot of them also have it tattooed on their faces, in red or white ink.

-All kinds of skin tones, go nuts.