Emperor's Spears covered by A D B

Kelborn

Hey folks,

A D B just posted (via FB) that Black Legion is finished.

His new project will feature the Emperor's Spears!

I'm super glad that BL is giving some not so famous chapters some spotlight like Laurie had once hinted. :biggrin.:

Very curious and excited of what he'll be doing with them. SMB? Standalone novel? Short story?

As there is not much known about them, he has an opportunity of out-fleshing a whole chapter. :smile.:

@A D B: Already got a certain theme / culture in mind?

Imho, a chapter which is specialized in aerial combat / void combat would be something new. Lots of fighters, landing crafts, etc. mixed with boarding actions and the likes. Maybe with a Greek themed culture? A bit of 300: Rise of an Empire battles in space? :P

Cheers,

Kel

Edited by Kelborn

Emperor Spears? If he wants to be a hispter he should cover my Sable Claws. ;) (Astral Claws sucessor)

Even so I'm curious to see what he will do with them.

For the look of them, the trident and the blue, I would bet on "aquatic" theme.

But enough with Greek and Roman stuff please. We have more than plenty.

But I wonder what "culture" they will be inspired on.

Any insight on it would be great.

Edited by Sete

So awesome. The main Legions/Chapters are iconic for a reason I guess, there's plenty of thematic substance behind many of the themes the creative team originally decided on for them... but there is SO much potential in the hundreds of other minor Chapters that exist in canon that it really does my head in how rarely this is utilised.

So looking forward to this :)

This could be good! With a totally unknown chapter the possibilities are endless. For both success and also for complete failure. Lol.

Seems that with a trident logo something related to that form of mythology would go down a treat.

Of course, being one of the special authors we know that there will be some form of "secret" or "dark truth" revealed to make readers speculate until their speculation devices are completely out of speculationite.

Hey folks,

A D B just posted (via FB) that Black Legion is finished.

His new project will feature the Emperor's Spears!

I'm super glad that BL is giving some not so famous chapters some spotlight like Laurie had once hinted. :biggrin.:

Very curious and excited of what he'll be doing with them. SMB? Standalone novel? Short story?

As there is not much known about them, he has an opportunity of out-fleshing a whole chapter. :smile.:

@A D B: Already got a certain theme / culture in mind?

Imho, a chapter which is specialized in aerial combat / void combat would be something new. Lots of fighters, landing crafts, etc. mixed with boarding actions and the likes. Maybe with a Greek themed culture? A bit of 300: Rise of an Empire battles in space? :tongue.:

Cheers,

Kel

Too early to say anything in detail, sorry!

Emperor Spears? If he wants to be a hispter he should cover my Sable Claws. :wink: (Astral Claws sucessor)

Even so I'm curious to see what he will do with them.

For the look of them, the trident and the blue, I would bet on "aquatic" theme.

But enough with Greek and Roman stuff please. We have more than plenty.

But I wonder what "culture" they will be inspired on.

Any insight on it would be great.

It's too early to say too much, but I'd argue we've seen very little good Greek/Roman stuff in any detail. Historical fiction is a passion of mine, and I can't think of many Space Marine cultures we see in any real detail. The Imperial Fists have certain Ancient Greece themes, but we see almost none of that culture come through in any detail. When do we really see the Space Rome of Ultramar through the same kind of lens that has left the West fascinated by the Roman Empire for the last 2,000 years? The Minotaurs have Greek aesthetic, but what does that actually mean beneath the armour? If anything?

I should add, I'm not criticising the quality of any Roman/Greek stuff that's come before, but there's been very little focus on it compared to, say, the Viking culture of Fenris or the Mongol themes of the White Scars in the HH. Most Ultramarine/Imperial Fist writing focuses wholly on stuff outside their homeworld cultures - the Chapter itself rather than its rituals and heritage.

Having upgrade bitz and historical-style decals doesn't mean something's been done too much, or well enough, before.

So awesome. The main Legions/Chapters are iconic for a reason I guess, there's plenty of thematic substance behind many of the themes the creative team originally decided on for them... but there is SO much potential in the hundreds of other minor Chapters that exist in canon that it really does my head in how rarely this is utilised.

So looking forward to this :smile.:

Part of the reason is sales. Brand recognition in IP work is A Huge Deal. It's a big risk to do a no-name Chapter compared to a famous one, and it's guaranteed not to sell anything like a famous or First Founding Chapter. For that reason, BL is way less likely to be interested, authors are much less inclined to risk it, and BL is also way less likely to trust you to make it interesting.

Readers who can't stand Author X will still buy all of the Ultramarines / Space Wolves / Blood Angels, etc. novels, for example. They're also easy sells to people first getting into the setting, as they're perceived as "core". (You still see many, many examples online even these days where people recommend the Ultramarines series, the ancient Space Wolves series, and the Blood Angels series as entry points into BL fiction, for example.) And they'll be incredibly popular no matter their quality, and their name recognition and perception as core to the setting guarantees them huge traction.

Passing up the chance for those kinds of sales isn't easy, but it also comes with a certain freedom.

This could be good! With a totally unknown chapter the possibilities are endless. For both success and also for complete failure. Lol.

Seems that with a trident logo something related to that form of mythology would go down a treat.

Of course, being one of the special authors we know that there will be some form of "secret" or "dark truth" revealed to make readers speculate until their speculation devices are completely out of speculationite.

Naw, I'm not really keen on dark truths and huge secrets, etc. Not revealing every mystery is fine (I like it when Chapters don't know their origins; that's cool), but there's a reason I played it straight with the Night Lords in their series, the World Eaters in Betrayer, the Black Templars in Helsreach, and so on. Snowflake uniqueness is the easiest thing in the world to do, and we all did that with our first teenage homebrews, I'm sure. I prefer to take core concepts and basic assumptions and do my best to show why they're cool. 

Edited by A D-B

Well true the greek/Roman theme is kept light.

I was thinking of the Iron Snakes, on the greek part instead of Minotaurs.

But well the true question is are you going with Poseidon or Neptune?

Or Adamastor?

(Go for Adamastor)

Keep us in the loop please :D, like some of my fellow Frater, I have a soft spot for sucessors/ non 1st founding chapters.

Edited by Sete

So, you're currently in the "scrapboard" phase, ok. :)

The most "greek" chapter I can think of would be the Iron Snakes. They have the most Greek influenced culture, etc. as they are basically hippolytes in space. I must admit that there are, of course, more naval oriented cultures out there. British empire would be fun to read about. :P

As I said, something of a naval themed chapter would be cool.

So BL offered you the opportunity of writing about a "unknown" chapter and you had to choose by yourself or was it more like: "In Aaron we trust. We will give him the Emperor's Spears and let's see how this will turn out."?

That could be interesting as well, for sure. ;)

Though I secretly would favor a pirate space marine chapter. :P

How funny would it be if we coincidentally came up with the same ideas Aaron has for them? :D :D

Keep them coming, something might strike his fancy ;)

Being born and raised in a small island, if they have an aquatic aspect to their culture, sea creatures bone carving is a must. ;)

And dares by the sea cliffs :D

Edited by Sete

I trust the Emperor's Spears are hardened fighters

Another no name chapter?  What actually major happened with them? Or are they simply a blank slate to fill by the author? Which Founding are they?

'Naw, I'm not really keen on dark truths and huge secrets, etc. Not revealing every mystery is fine (I like it when Chapters don't know their origins; that's cool), but there's a reason I played it straight with the Night Lords in their series, the World Eaters in Betrayer, the Black Templars in Helsreach, and so on. Snowflake uniqueness is the easiest thing in the world to do, and we all did that with our first teenage homebrews, I'm sure. I prefer to take core concepts and basic assumptions and do my best to show why they're cool.'

- awesome point. Thanks A D-B :yes:

So, you're currently in the "scrapboard" phase, ok. :smile.:

So BL offered you the opportunity of writing about a "unknown" chapter and you had to choose by yourself or was it more like: "In Aaron we trust. We will give him the Emperor's Spears and let's see how this will turn out."?

1. Naw, I'm pretty settled. Been planning this for a while.

2. Can't say yet, It's close, but neither of those.

So, you're currently in the "scrapboard" phase, ok. :smile.:

1. Naw, I'm pretty settled. Been planning this for a while.

2. Can't say yet, It's close, but neither of those.

Wowsers. Nice to hear - seems it's definitely a new approach for Black Library now. :whistling:

I remember a while ago ADB was asking about Emperor Spears colour scheme and if anyone had images.

I reckon he asked to write about the chapter and given his track record on space wars why not.

I have time to conjecture. I would say slow day at work but in reality I'm just hard(ly)* working.

*Just as planned.

Edited by Sete

I remember a while ago ADB was asking about Emperor Spears colour scheme and if anyone had images.

I reckon he asked to write about the chapter and given his track record on space wars why not.

I have time to conjecture. I would say slow day at work but in reality I'm just hard(ly)* working.

*Just as planned.

So it was a long time ago - like several years. So the road from concept to approval took 2 years at least? 

Boring fact: The only book I was ever asked to write was Helsreach, when I was very new. I pitch my own projects, and some authors are extreeeeemely lucky with the leeway we get. If you're fortunate, you reach a point where it's:

Author: "I'd like to write a book about Space Marines or Chaos or something."

Editor: "Okay. When will it be in?"

Author: "I'm not on trial, here."

Several years? Damn. I thought it was like a couple of months ago

You're right, it wasn't too long ago: Facebook Clicky-click.

Boring fact: The only book I was ever asked to write was Helsreach, when I was very new. I pitch my own projects, and some authors are extreeeeemely lucky with the leeway we get. If you're fortunate, you reach a point where it's:

awesome. It seems new ideas and concepts approved much quickly now then before - is that a direct result of new BL approach A D-B

awesome. It seems new ideas and concepts approved much quickly now then before - is that a direct result of new BL approach A D-B

Nope, no change there. Like I said in the other thread, that stuff never affected me, project-wise. It didn't change my schedule or my projects at all - I was lucky to be immune to it in a lot of ways. This is no different, time-wise, than any other of my projects in terms of pitching and so on. The stuff Laurie mentioned affected me (and a couple of other writers) in terms of how pleasantly the company treated us, and how eager we were to work for them, but it didn't change our projects. There's no gossip there, and no external effect that will suddenly be different now. 

It's worth noting that there's no "new approach". There was a new approach for two years, and it sucked, so they went back to normal. As fascinating as that look into the company was, it only dealt with a 2-year period, and it's probably wrong to attribute most visible things to it, or attach any current importance to it. Things went back to normal a while ago.