Emperor's Spears covered by A D B

Kelborn

Boring fact: The only book I was ever asked to write was Helsreach, when I was very new. I pitch my own projects, and some authors are extreeeeemely lucky with the leeway we get. If you're fortunate, you reach a point where it's:

Author: "I'd like to write a book about Space Marines or Chaos or something."

Editor: "Okay. When will it be in?"

Author: "I'm not on trial, here."

Several years? Damn. I thought it was like a couple of months ago

You're right, it wasn't too long ago: Facebook Clicky-click.

awesome. It seems new ideas and concepts approved much quickly now then before - is that a direct result of new BL approach A D-B

Nope, no change there. Like I said in the other thread, that stuff never affected me, project-wise. It didn't change my schedule or my projects at all - I was lucky to be immune to it in a lot of ways. This is no different, time-wise, than any other of my projects in terms of pitching and so on. The stuff Laurie mentioned affected me (and a couple of other writers) in terms of how pleasantly the company treated us, and how eager we were to work for them, but it didn't change our projects. There's no gossip there, and no external effect that will suddenly be different now. 

It's worth noting that there's no "new approach". There was a new approach for two years, and it sucked, so they went back to normal. As fascinating as that look into the company was, it only dealt with a 2-year period, and it's probably wrong to attribute most visible things to it, or attach any current importance to it. Things went back to normal a while ago.

Glad to hear. It's always easier to write amazing stuff in good working environment and with goodhearted people. I know you will do awesome stuff in the future - roll in Black Crusade :rolleyes:

It's too early to say too much, but I'd argue we've seen very little good Greek/Roman stuff in any detail. Historical fiction is a passion of mine

I hate to go off-topic, but would you (or anyoneone else) be so kind as to recommend a couple of good ancient Greek historical novels to me? It's a period I like the idea of, but know relatively little about

Edited by aa.logan

It's too early to say too much, but I'd argue we've seen very little good Greek/Roman stuff in any detail. Historical fiction is a passion of mine

I hate to go off-topic, but would you (or anyoneone else) be so kind as to recommend a couple of good ancient Greek historical novels to me? It's a period I like the idea of, but know relatively little about

Gladly! I'll PM you, unless you're on FB, in which case, PM my author page and I'll reply.

Boring fact: The only book I was ever asked to write was Helsreach, when I was very new. I pitch my own projects, and some authors are extreeeeemely lucky with the leeway we get. If you're fortunate, you reach a point where it's:

Author: "I'd like to write a book about Space Marines or Chaos or something."

Editor: "Okay. When will it be in?"

Author: "I'm not on trial, here."

Several years? Damn. I thought it was like a couple of months ago

You're right, it wasn't too long ago: Facebook Clicky-click.

awesome. It seems new ideas and concepts approved much quickly now then before - is that a direct result of new BL approach A D-B?

Nope, no change there. Like I said in the other thread, that stuff never affected me, project-wise. It didn't change my schedule or my projects at all - I was lucky to be immune to it in a lot of ways. This is no different, time-wise, than any other of my projects in terms of pitching and so on. The stuff Laurie mentioned affected me (and a couple of other writers) in terms of how pleasantly the company treated us, and how eager we were to work for them, but it didn't change our projects. There's no gossip there, and no external effect that will suddenly be different now. 

It's worth noting that there's no "new approach". There was a new approach for two years, and it sucked, so they went back to normal. As fascinating as that look into the company was, it only dealt with a 2-year period, and it's probably wrong to attribute most visible things to it, or attach any current importance to it. Things went back to normal a while ago.

This is all great for us to hear though. A return to what made BL special in the first place is so welcome. We clearly noticed the difference and now better understand the time lag for seeing first the negative impact and now the positive impact.

How about not fully going Greek/Roman - but rather something mystical like Atlantean Culture - which still isn't far off from that AND contains a Naval theme.

It could introduce a Chapter thinking about "higher purpose", preserving the culture of Mankind (whatever twisted remnants are left of it). Noble, in their own weird way. [NOT the clichee "stoic/heroic" Marines].

Having lost their Fortress Monastery/Recruiting World to a (predicted) Super Nova or some such, they became a Fleet based Chapter.

...now that I think about it:

What if they meet the Carcharodons.

Both have a naval culture as their background.

...but VEEEERY different views.

A D-B, you're free to use the idea xD If you don't, I'll one day use it for a Chapter of my own...

Gladly! I'll PM you, unless you're on FB, in which case, PM my author page and I'll reply.

That's *almost* enough to tempt me to set up a Facebook account... 

Emperor's Spears you say? :happy.:

(Model by Lamenter)

LoL

That's *almost* enough to tempt me to set up a Facebook account... 

You still haven't??? Hereteks everywhere :wink:

Thank you, A D B for your insights. ☺

May I send you as well a pm regarding possible inspirations, etc? Either here or via FB. I'm currently working on an African Legion + a story and got some questions concerning the Celestial Lions. ☺

Asking an author for hints on a novel that has only just been hinted at being worked on us a bit silly. Let's be honest. He's not going to say anything yet. We are all going to buy it regardless. (You may not but I will) It's going to be good. All will rejoice.

The theme will be trident related. It has to be. Otherwise having the trident on their shoulders is pointless.

My only question is. Will it be a novel or a short story? Having both seemed to work quite well for the Carcharadons.

Asking an author for hints on a novel that has only just been hinted at being worked on us a bit silly. Let's be honest. He's not going to say anything yet. We are all going to buy it regardless. (You may not but I will) It's going to be good. All will rejoice.

The theme will be trident related. It has to be. Otherwise having the trident on their shoulders is pointless.

My only question is. Will it be a novel or a short story? Having both seemed to work quite well for the Carcharadons.

pretty much this, but i'd be interested in knowing where a trident related theme might end up in millennia from now rather than a transplant of one from our past directly into spaaaaaace

They are descendants of the 1st Legion's naval arm. The rank and file members don't know it but they're part of the Unforgiven.

At least that's how I want it to be. Years ago it was rumored you'd be writing your own Dark Angels successor chapter. Alas..

Edited by Augustus

Part of the reason is sales. Brand recognition in IP work is A Huge Deal. It's a big risk to do a no-name Chapter compared to a famous one, and it's guaranteed not to sell anything like a famous or First Founding Chapter. For that reason, BL is way less likely to be interested, authors are much less inclined to risk it, and BL is also way less likely to trust you to make it interesting.

Readers who can't stand Author X will still buy all of the Ultramarines / Space Wolves / Blood Angels, etc. novels, for example. They're also easy sells to people first getting into the setting, as they're perceived as "core". (You still see many, many examples online even these days where people recommend the Ultramarines series, the ancient Space Wolves series, and the Blood Angels series as entry points into BL fiction, for example.) And they'll be incredibly popular no matter their quality, and their name recognition and perception as core to the setting guarantees them huge traction.

Passing up the chance for those kinds of sales isn't easy, but it also comes with a certain freedom.

I think I am conflating BL and GW sales here (and probably those who like the literature but not modeling and vice versa) but aren't the Space Marine plastic sets produced as non-denomination to allow for people to create their own chapters as they so desire?  So there would be a market for exploring chapters outside of the primogenitor legions and second foundings?

Part of the reason is sales. Brand recognition in IP work is A Huge Deal. It's a big risk to do a no-name Chapter compared to a famous one, and it's guaranteed not to sell anything like a famous or First Founding Chapter. For that reason, BL is way less likely to be interested, authors are much less inclined to risk it, and BL is also way less likely to trust you to make it interesting.

Readers who can't stand Author X will still buy all of the Ultramarines / Space Wolves / Blood Angels, etc. novels, for example. They're also easy sells to people first getting into the setting, as they're perceived as "core". (You still see many, many examples online even these days where people recommend the Ultramarines series, the ancient Space Wolves series, and the Blood Angels series as entry points into BL fiction, for example.) And they'll be incredibly popular no matter their quality, and their name recognition and perception as core to the setting guarantees them huge traction.

Passing up the chance for those kinds of sales isn't easy, but it also comes with a certain freedom.

I think I am conflating BL and GW sales here (and probably those who like the literature but not modeling and vice versa) but aren't the Space Marine plastic sets produced as non-denomination to allow for people to create their own chapters as they so desire?  So there would be a market for exploring chapters outside of the primogenitor legions and second foundings?

What ADB is saying is that as a professional author for hire (working for tie in fiction as opposed to writing your own original fiction) you have to make a judgement call as to whether something is going to earn you money (or at least more money) versus what you would actually like/choose to write about which means taking a risk it will not sell.

A novel about one of the big four SM chapters (UM/SW/BA/DA) probably sell more copies than something about random faction X. As such the author will earn a bigger royalty check.

While each gamer may like the ability to develop their own homebrew chapter (hence as you say non-denomination sets) that will be individual to them and potentially not as interesting to others so the books would likely sell less.

The flip to this is that SOME authors have their own fanbase such as ADB and Abnett and as such that name on the cover will be sufficient to drive a certain level of sales.

There's definitely a market for it, but creative freedom also comes with downsides. In this case, what I mean is that there are mechanisms in the fandom and readership as well as in the publisher and the IP that all work towards reinforcing the importance and prominence of the Big Name Chapters. It's not purely a case of royalties, it's also exposure, advertising, and simple reader interaction. If Dan had written a Blood Angels novel, that would have made bank over Brothers of the Snake, as well as naturally getting huge traction with more readers, more advertising, and so on.

Even down to shoulder pads, Chapter-specific kits, and Forge World decals/Rhino doors... you know? If someone wants to play the Ultramarines, Minotaurs, Carcharodons, or the Blood Angels, they have a lot of tools, rules, and toys to do it.

The Iron Snakes? Not so much.

The best thing you can do for yourself sales-wise is to write either one of the Big Four (and, really, it's more of a Big Three - Ultramarines, Blood Angels, Space Wolves) Chapters, or write one of the exotic ones that are beloved in the fandom as a palate cleanser to the Big Three, and are seen as badass/savage: Flesh Tearers and Carcharodons, for example. On the same note, I was lucky to do the Night Lords first. They're a lot more popular than if I'd, say, done the Howling Griffyndors. (Or whatever.)

Ultimately, there is a market for other Chapters - but you have to accept you're taking a hit in exposure and sales, for the sake of writing what you want. I'm fine with that - and I'm sure most authors would be - but it's always a consideration on all sides of the table. BL, for example, would probably be much happier if I said "I want to do an Ultramarines novel..." as that's guaranteed to make a fortune and, crucially, be likely to enter into the default/stock answers for "I'm just starting 40K fiction, what should I read?" 

You really wouldn't believe how many answers to that question still consider BL to be the same thing as 10+ years ago, with the Ultramarines and Space WOlves series as the only things worth reading, or Graham, Dan, and Sandy Mitchell as the Holy Trinity. 

One of the huge upsides though, beyond creative freedom and the chance to add to the setting with your own angle, is that you take about fifteen times as much humble joy in seeing people make armies of something you essentially made from bare bones. I'm always honoured to see people's Grimaldus minis when they post them to me, but there's something even more special about seeing First Claw. And seeing people's First Claws is cool, but it's nothing on a Chapter you basically invent yourself. I know Dan's always honoured to see Iron Snakes and Tanith Firsts out there, you know?

So, that's all I mean. Ups and downs. It's just like any creative decision, really. Comes with pros and cons, benefits and sacrifices - and frankly I'm still amazed how fortunate I am to get to even consider it.