Emperor's Spears covered by A D B

Kelborn

Has he mentioned what’s next on the docket after this one is done? Talon of Legion 3: the Drach’nyening?

Yep-yep-yep. I'll cut you in for 10% if I go with that title.

Yesss. I can stop worrying about the series ending prematurely now

(It still might. I'll have a definite answer soon.)

Nooo. Worrying mode re-activated

5TNQkll.png

Fingers crossed!

Edited by Marshal Loss

Dead on. And it's been a breath of fresh air to write from a non-Space Marine perspective. As much as Space Marines have variances in personality, their cores are still Probably Bitter and Definitely Deluded Jerk (Chaos Marines) and Hypno-indoctrinated Psycho-conditioned Warrior (Loyalists) underpinning all they do. One of the joys of Spear was getting to write a human reaction to things, with a human's unbiased/unblocked emotions. 

Now I've got an inexplicable hankering for a Chaos Marine who is well-adjusted, psychologically stable, and who really wishes his brothers could just learn to chill a little. :D

Dead on. And it's been a breath of fresh air to write from a non-Space Marine perspective. As much as Space Marines have variances in personality, their cores are still Probably Bitter and Definitely Deluded Jerk (Chaos Marines) and Hypno-indoctrinated Psycho-conditioned Warrior (Loyalists) underpinning all they do. One of the joys of Spear was getting to write a human reaction to things, with a human's unbiased/unblocked emotions.

Now I've got an inexplicable hankering for a Chaos Marine who is well-adjusted, psychologically stable, and who really wishes his brothers could just learn to chill a little. :D
Probably Death Guard, if you ignore the “collecting his own snot” thing...

I tend to find Astartes work best in fiction when seen from a human perspective. I think you need a human comparator to appreciate the superhuman scale. Astartes vs Astartes stories often feel like they might as well be about normal humans without that sense of scale.

I also tend to prefer fantasy fiction in which the reader is offered a character who acts as the reader’s proxy, by having an outsider viewpoint: e.g. Bilbo Baggins or Tyrion Lannister. Octavia provides that, for me, in the Night Lords trilogy. Oddly, in the Emperor’s Gift, Hyperion is our proxy but Annika gives the scale: I think that works due to Hyperion being a rookie and a bit of a square peg (plus what we learn of his background helps our connection). So, yes, looking forward to this!

Edited by Plasmablasts

Dead on. And it's been a breath of fresh air to write from a non-Space Marine perspective. As much as Space Marines have variances in personality, their cores are still Probably Bitter and Definitely Deluded Jerk (Chaos Marines) and Hypno-indoctrinated Psycho-conditioned Warrior (Loyalists) underpinning all they do. One of the joys of Spear was getting to write a human reaction to things, with a human's unbiased/unblocked emotions.

Now I've got an inexplicable hankering for a Chaos Marine who is well-adjusted, psychologically stable, and who really wishes his brothers could just learn to chill a little. :biggrin.:
Probably Death Guard, if you ignore the “collecting his own snot” thing...

I tend to find Astartes work best in fiction when seen from a human perspective. I think you need a human comparator to appreciate the superhuman scale. Astartes vs Astartes stories often feel like they might as well be about normal humans without that sense of scale.

I also tend to prefer fantasy fiction in which the reader is offered a character who acts as the reader’s proxy, by having an outsider viewpoint: e.g. Bilbo Baggins or Tyrion Lannister. Octavia provides that, for me, in the Night Lords trilogy. Oddly, in the Emperor’s Gift, Hyperion is our proxy but Annika gives the scale: I think that works due to Hyperion being a rookie and a bit of a square peg (plus what we learn of his background helps our connection). So, yes, looking forward to this!

The outsiders perspective is as effective in 40k because the reader isn't really an outsider. If anything, the average reader will know more about the universe than the character. 

• 1 month later...

Holy...every single chapters sounds promising. Some even sound like they are seperate stories.

Aaron? Is it just my very own impression or will we see something like Dan's Brothers of the Snake: same heroes in different, yet nearly independent episodes?

• 3 weeks later...

When is the release again?

Ran

I don’t think anybody knows. Except for the fact that it is sometime this year...

By the way, we have gotten our first book cover tease via A D-B’s Facebook... That is clearly a Spear marine with his blue armour and white helm. Unfortunately It seems he is in the process of exploding or being eaten by yellow goo.

D2b7lOw.jpg

WMQId0p.jpg

Edited by Rathamanti

Respect for your eyes, mate.

All I'm seeing is yellow. Looks like a flamethrower shooting in downright.

The Highmountain crest is interesting, as well. Guess who's playing a Highmountain Tauren. ;)

So, looks like the book is basically done, with some editing work to be done, and a likely release date of December.

Looks like a big book too, from the word count ADB posted in January ( final wordcount ADB?)

That's awesome news! 

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught up on this whole thread and am really looking forward to this one.

The perspective and setting seem really interesting as do the Spears. Going to model one up soon.

But as a Mentor Legion collector I'm in to learn more about them. I've been building them up as working as mentors, leading and training trial units of Primaris.

Any new hints about the Mentors ahead of release?

• 3 weeks later...

So, looks like the book is basically done, with some editing work to be done, and a likely release date of December.

Looks like a big book too, from the word count ADB posted in January ( final wordcount ADB?)

Uh, same word count as Black Legion. Maybe Soul Hunter too, I'm not 100% sure.

Just got the epilogue to do, then it's finished today. I think they're announcing the cover art at BLL today and online on Monday. So freaking psyched to see what people think of it.

Not carrying a literal trident, immersion ruined, 0/10.

Ahem.

Sweet. Definitely got that sub-Roman Britain look, with the collapsing columns, cloak, torc-looking kneepad and the gladius-ish spear blade. Is that a cat on the right knee?

Looks great, although it says ‘debuts as a limited edition, and will be released as a hardback 6 months later’. Which I’m not overly happy about.

Maybe there will be some sort of miniatures release and the hardback might accompany it?

Like soul wars and the new edition of AoS?