Emperor's Spears covered by A D B

Kelborn

On a side note, given that the Squats are actually somewhat coming back, is it time to retire their name as a term? Maybe replace them with Khemri-ed? Bretonnianed?

Khemri and Bretonnia still have rules in Age of Sigmar.

I say we go with "Zoats'd" :lol:

It looks like the Marine in the artwork above has an insular-style brooch holding his cloak up, which is like...the nerdiest reference to Post-Roman British culture ever and I love it.

Or I read too much into things >.> The image on his right poleyn is also reminiscent of Celtic artwork. Details like that are pretty cool to spot.

Right? It's the little details.

When you first look, you see "Marine with helmet crest and spear", which makes people think "Greco-Roman". Then you notice the torq on the left knee, then the Ogham-esque symbols on his shoulder, and the brooch, and the shape of his spear. That all screams Post-Roman Britons.

Well and the fact that he said this about their names:

I don't want to say too much in case it changes, or to promise a focus that may not be there in the final novel, but for names - you're good if you go with something Irish Gaellc, Scottish Gaelic, or Imperial/Republican Roman, or Romanised British. tl;dr -- Celtic or Ancient Roman.

Yeah, totally Post-Roman Britons :D

Edited by Gederas

Blood Angels have a fairly heavy greco-roman influence - sure it's renaissance too, but the Renaissance is almost defined by resurrection of greco-roman stuff. As the apple tends not to fall very far from the tree, the Blood Angels successors certainly have a lot of that.

The very notion and terminology of the Legions is overwhelmingly Roman.

The naming conventions (continued recently in "Imperator") are massively Greek.

The Iron Warriors draw on a lot of this sort of thing.

Various Ultramarinealike Chapters have heavy roman overtones (X Consuls, Nova marines) when they crop up in stories.

And that's not to mention the heavy Latin/Greek influences in the language more generally.

To put it mildly, other 'cultures' tend to be fairly conspicuous when they crop up (the influences on the Space Sharks being blatant but also, to my pakiha eyes, endearing - especially in contrast to the Space Wolves).

----

I've always faintly eschewed the Celtic influences myself, when pottering at home brew stuff, not for any conscious reason but I'd not be at all surprised if there wasn't a Celtic brand of Scottish cringe.

Still, as I've aged, I think my mind has unconciously revolved and all that sort of stuff is sitting more fully to the fore. Indeed, my gut reaction is to be fairly angry at English educational imperialism (and it's inheritance in America) how it has led me to this awkward 'Greek & Roman default'. It might not be wholly responsible, but it's the easiest to point my finger at right now!

To put it mildly, other 'cultures' tend to be fairly conspicuous when they crop up (the influences on the Space Sharks being blatant but also, to my pakiha eyes, endearing - especially in contrast to the Space Wolves).

----

I've always faintly eschewed the Celtic influences myself, when pottering at home brew stuff, not for any conscious reason but I'd not be at all surprised if there wasn't a Celtic brand of Scottish cringe.

Still, as I've aged, I think my mind has unconciously revolved and all that sort of stuff is sitting more fully to the fore. Indeed, my gut reaction is to be fairly angry at English educational imperialism (and it's inheritance in America) how it has led me to this awkward 'Greek & Roman default'. It might not be wholly responsible, but it's the easiest to point my finger at right now!

I feel that the Polynesian/Maori-inspiration for the Carcharodons SOLELY came from their old Forgeworld transfer sheet, which had Polynesian-esque markings.

As to the Celtic thing: There was originally one Chapter that's explicitly Celtic, the Storm Wardens from FFG's Deathwatch RPG. And they were Flanderized by fans to being a bunch of drunk Scots. Despite their Chapter Master being their Chapter Master being named after a WELSH hero. Because "lol celts are scottish"

And it annoys me. A lot. Like, the Celts ranged from the British Isles all the way to :cuss-ing TURKEY.

Edited by Gederas

'A new Space Marines novel by Aaron Dembski-Bowden focusing on a newly founded Primaris Chapter? Count us in! ' 

Well at least the BL marketing team are not setting up expectations for the primaris role in this one 

Edited by nagashnee

Well, while a bit off-topic, the Carcharadon novels firmly place them as Pacific Islander in culture, as I believe it's been implied that there was more written about them that just wasn't released in the FW book, given the air of mystery they're trying to give them. 

Well, while a bit off-topic, the Carcharadon novels firmly place them as Pacific Islander in culture, as I believe it's been implied that there was more written about them that just wasn't released in the FW book, given the air of mystery they're trying to give them.

Well, as I said, I think it was the old Forgeworld Transfer Sheet that got the idea of them having Polynesian inspiration:

Hidden Content
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jwXe9Bnzjqo/Ti2fEuVEZdI/AAAAAAAAAJA/9qAWhjLXBhs/s1600/charcdecals.jpg

The skulls have markings that look very much like Pe'a/Tā moko, as do the Tactical Marine symbols.

This actually makes me wonder. I know ADB mentioned that the Emperor's Spears use markings that are like Ogham on their armour. I wonder if they also use Celtic-style markings as well?

Edited by Gederas

Well, as I said, I think it was the old Forgeworld Transfer Sheet that got the idea of them having Polynesian inspiration:

Hidden Content
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jwXe9Bnzjqo/Ti2fEuVEZdI/AAAAAAAAAJA/9qAWhjLXBhs/s1600/charcdecals.jpg

The skulls have markings that look very much like Pe'a/Tā moko, as do the Tactical Marine symbols.

This actually makes me wonder. I know ADB mentioned that the Emperor's Spears use markings that are like Ogham on their armour. I wonder if they also use Celtic-style markings as well?

Well they had those markings in the Imperial Armour: Badab book. So it wasn’t the transfers specifically, it was FW at the time they made the book and transfers decided to go with a Polynesian feel.

• 2 weeks later...

Super excited to dig my claws into this, for more than one reason I’ll admit. One can only read ToH and Black Legion so many times (or can one?)!

You’re satisfied with the final product then AD-B? :)

Super excited to dig my claws into this, for more than one reason I’ll admit. One can only read ToH and Black Legion so many times (or can one?)!

You’re satisfied with the final product then AD-B? :smile.:

Never. But it's as done as it can realistically get, and the editors/test readers really liked it.

The Desolators get a mention, as promised.

You’re satisfied with the final product then AD-B? :smile.:

Never. But it's as done as it can realistically get, and the editors/test readers really liked it.

The Desolators get a mention, as promised.

Understandable. I can only imagine your standards are quite exacting, given the quality of your work. That’s not a character trait that lends itself to being totally happy with your end products.

I am, of course, a giggly mess at the news that you actually decided to do that with the Desolators. So freaking cool of you man

Edited by Draakur

Just the Chapter of a completely random and very lucky frater who was arbitrarily chosen by Aaron in a right-place-right-time situation to be namedropped (and therefore have their name, at least, canonised) in a work of his. Nothing to see here and certainly no reason you should know of them

Curious, who here is more interested in getting a closer look at the Mentors, than learning more about what is essentially a “new” Chapter?

I'm here for the Mentors. There isn't much fluff about them and some of it is very old. This could clear a lot of stuff down.

At various times they're said to be secretive, high-tech, students of war, and work by leading other forces. A little like a loyalist Alpha Legion - but NOT actually.

And I hope we get some use of the old owl logo.

But I am also here for the Spears because their culture does sound interesting and I'm very drawn to the colours. And because a new group of chapters and a new conflict zone is an exciting prospect.

For the sake of clarity, since you're all my homepeeps and I don't want you going in assuming this is something it's not, there is a little Mentor stuff in Spear and it's mostly based on the much older lore from Ye Olde Rogue Trader era. The main character (though not the narrator) is a Mentor.

But honestly, if you go into Spear expecting marquee/famous lore and stuff, you're going to be disappointed. Like how Helsreach wasn't about the War for Armageddon and most of the major Space Marine players; it was about Grimaldus and one city. Spear has a very specific tone. I've done a lot of Really Big Stuff lately -- my last 5 novels were Betrayer, The Talon of Horus, Ragnar Blackmane, The Master of Mankind, and Black Legion. 

I wanted to write something more intimate and less "This is how the grand scheme of the setting works".

Things This Book Is About:

• Space Marines. 
  • Being a human living around, and serving, Space Marines.
  • The Emperor's Spears Chapter: its vibe and customs.
  • Life on the bad side of the Great Rift.
  • The war in Elara's Veil.

Things This Book Is Not About:

• Primaris Marines vs. Regular Marines.
  • The Mentors.
  • Guilliman / Cawl.
Edited by A D-B

@A D-B

Thank you. Wasn't expecting answers or facts about the Mentors, just hope for the odd spark for the imagination, or interesting implications.

No assumptions or demands, going in curious and really looking forward to enjoying what's on offer.