Emperor's Spears covered by A D B

Kelborn

Finished my copy the other day and man, what a fantastic read. I couldn't put it down. I am now a big fan of the Spears and have been inspired in many different ways. If anyone is up for discussion, I would love to get into it. Just make sure to use spoiler tags. 

Skovakarah uhl zarûn! 

...click at your own peril.

Primaris?

No.

But also yes from a certain point of view.

I'd love to hear more about this. I don't mind the spoiler when I have to wait so long to read it myself.
Calgar isn’t the one one to have transitioned

Damn, pray tell more.

Or PM please.

Must know that :cuss and the regular release of the book is at least 6 months away :(

Any advice on how to do an ancient? Would he be one of the paragons, or simply a standard marine? It doesn't seem like he would have a crest.

No wrong answer, though it's unlikely he'd be a Paragon, as they're outside the Warhost hierarchy. Though, even then, it's possible if it's a Chapter banner rather than the specific Warhost banner.

More commonly: A Veteran Sergeant that outlived his squad or a Sergeant that was sideways-promoted out of his squad to this new duty? Cool. A Captain that stepped down from his officer role in favour of another commander? Totally. A battle-brother that displayed great courage or ingenuity in a campaign and was granted the honour of the Warhost's banner? Absolutely.

Every Warhost likely does it their own way, so don't feel too constrained.

The Exilarchy (and specifically the Pure) collects Adeptus Vaelarii war banners though, so it's one of the most dangerous jobs in Elara's Veil.

Edited by A D-B

Any advice on how to do an ancient? Would he be one of the paragons, or simply a standard marine? It doesn't seem like he would have a crest.

No wrong answer, though it's unlikely he'd be a Paragon, as they're outside the Warhost hierarchy. Though, even then, it's possible if it's a Chapter banner rather than the specific Warhost banner.

More commonly: A Veteran Sergeant that outlived his squad or a Sergeant that was sideways-promoted out of his squad to this new duty? Cool. A Captain that stepped down from his officer role in favour of another commander? Totally. A battle-brother that displayed great courage or ingenuity in a campaign and was granted the honour of the Warhost's banner? Absolutely.

Every Warhost likely does it their own way, so don't feel too constrained.

The Exilarchy (and specifically the Pure) collects Adeptus Vaelarii war banners though, so it's one of the most dangerous jobs in Elara's Veil.

Thanks A D-B. I've been trying to decide how I might go about doing the ancient. I thought if I did the relic banner it would most likely need to be a paragon. I remember reading the index about how the paragon caste is a separate fraternity entirely to the greater chapter.

Really like the figure your friend painted up for you. Just want to sink into a squad of paragons. I've already lined up some of the backpack banners to represent their personal heraldries within the unit. (If I understood that correctly)

Also, I'll be doing a few "Atlanteans" that we talked about many moons ago. It may be hard, or it might look wonky, but I'm going to attempt blue and then white tatoos over darker skin tones to represent some of the southern hemisphere tribes of Nemeton.

Also, I was wondering if you could go a bit more in depth about Bellona. Specifically their colors. Are they traditional red robes a la mars, or does that come with variation. (I don't recall you going into much depth about their colors. This may be an oversight, and if so I apologize.)

If it's okay with you, I'll DM you a picture of one of my primaris I'm working on, since this isn't the forge.

Yeah unless the Spears do it differently there's not really a rank attached to being the banner bearer. It's just an honour that's more likely to be given to someone with a higher rank but not exclusively.

Like pure crunch-wise all the Ancients are one way or another veterans (Terminators, Company Veterans, Sanguinary Guard, etc) except for the Primaris Ancient which is never painted as Veteran in the Codexes.

In the end it's your guys and you should do what you like best. Imo an Ancient is a kind of character that's worth having its own little background story and there you can have him be whatever you want. I for one made my BA successors Primaris Ancient into a Veteran just because I think it looks better on the table and because I still like the concept of an Icon Bearer for the whole army from WHFB back then and as such he should look more important than the kind of banner bearers you had in almost every unit (kinda like the Daemon and CSM units with their Icons).

I really hope the book will get released as audiobook on audible eventually as well!

Nearly finished this Bowden book, and it is absolutely brilliant. Totally and utterly superb. It’s ADBs best since the night lords and probably is at least as good as them if not better.

I friggin love it. I will reread it immediately, and download it on audio when it comes out.

Well done Aaron for writing such an original 40k book. I haven’t been disappointed by a single page. The dark imperium is a fantastic development in 40k and it’s going to be a great playground to tell stories in. I can’t wait for the second book. Hands down best thing I’ve read in years.

I hadn’t been following the hype over this prior to its release and was pretty reluctant to buy the limited ed as space marine books usually aren’t my favourite books. But I’m so glad I did. This is Black Library fiction at its best.

Sure. I'll spoiler tag and then sub-spoiler tag for two levels of spoilers here. First is a basic description, second is deeper.

They wear white, with bronze, verdigrised trim. Their sigil is a crimson, serpentine basilisk encircling an orb. They seem to be a renegade Chapter (or Chapters?) for the most part.

Anyone paying attention may have noticed the Star Scoprions were lost in the warp, fate unknown. Well, of course. They're back, after gazing too long into the horror of the warp, but they still think they're the proper Adeptus Vaelarii. They came to recruit from their homeworld of Khamun-Sen but the Spears and Lions fired cyclonic torpedoes into it instead. They have a faintly pre-Islamic ancient Arabic/Egyptian vibe, but it's removed a bit from the psychic mystic flavor we see in the Thousand Sons. I doubt there's any link. If anything, they may be in the thrall of Slaanesh? But it's hard to say at this point. One of their warlords has dusky skin, a beautiful, clean appearance, and bears one relic blade from a set of 10 khopeshes called the Fangs of the River Ghoul.
Edited by LetsYouDown

Sure. I'll spoiler tag and then sub-spoiler tag for two levels of spoilers here. First is a basic description, second is deeper.

They wear white, with bronze, verdigrised trim. Their sigil is a crimson, serpentine basilisk encircling an orb. They seem to be a renegade Chapter (or Chapters?) for the most part.

Anyone paying attention may have noticed the Star Scoprions were lost in the warp, fate unknown. Well, of course. They're back, after gazing too long into the horror of the warp, but they still think they're the proper Adeptus Vaelarii. They came to recruit from their homeworld of Khamun-Sen but the Spears and Lions fired cyclonic torpedoes into it instead. They have a faintly pre-Islamic ancient Arabic/Egyptian vibe, but it's removed a bit from the psychic mystic flavor we see in the Thousand Sons. I doubt there's any link. If anything, they may be in the thrall of Slaanesh? But it's hard to say at this point. One of their warlords has dusky skin, a beautiful, clean appearance, and bears one relic blade from a set of 10 khopeshes called the Fangs of the River Ghoul.

That sounds very close to the scheme for my old homebrew CSM warband which I painted up about 7 years ago. Wasn't able to get my hands on the limited edition so haven't read this yet, but if the Pure end up being as awesome as all of ADB's other stuff, I might have a project reboot on my hands! :wub:

46438328_2213586902048942_32463295429602

This keeps getting better and better! Hope there will be more on the Pure as this series develops!

BTW .. given their insignia .... is there any description on the Basilisk shape emblem.... is that supossed more along the classical rooster headed thing or more serpentine ?

I have some mother of pearl type white technical colour lying around for ages ... I feel there is another killteam to add to stack of unfinished prolects!

BTW .. given their insignia .... is there any description on the Basilisk shape emblem.... is that supossed more along the classical rooster headed thing or more serpentine ?

I have some mother of pearl type white technical colour lying around for ages ... I feel there is another killteam to add to stack of unfinished prolects!

The latter. I even used the adjective 'serpentine' above.

Edited by LetsYouDown

The latter. I even used the adjective 'serpentine' above.

Thank you! I might be a bit slow today. Bird headed serpents would also have been cool. But this seems easier to paint, thankfully.

Just received my copy today. Number 1357! Finishing up "Plague War" before diving in, but, I did read through the Index Astartes booklet and am already finding myself loving the Emperor's Spears. I especially love the "Footnote: Eukari Insurrection" part regarding the Spears and the Aurora Chapter. The final portion of that section actually made me laugh out loud.

Just received my copy today. Number 1357! Finishing up "Plague War" before diving in, but, I did read through the Index Astartes booklet and am already finding myself loving the Emperor's Spears. I especially love the "Footnote: Eukari Insurrection" part regarding the Spears and the Aurora Chapter. The final portion of that section actually made me laugh out loud.

Yeah same. I've already started customizing some of my fancy characters. My lieutenant is going to have a sea creature cloak, I stole from one of my unused dark elf corsair bits. I'm in between colors for it.

There really is a lot of room left open for different types of customizations.

Received a notification from Amazon.de

I that one's correct, The Emperor's Spear and the Corax Primarch novel will be available on the 10th of January.

Somehow, I highly doubt this as both pages do not feature the correct cover art.

I mean, I would be more than happy if that would happen but I don't expect it to be true.

Somehow, I highly doubt this as both pages do not feature the correct cover art.

https://www.amazon.com/Inferno-1-Tales-Worlds-Warhammer/dp/1784967335/

https://www.amazon.com/Victory-Part-Gaunts-Ghosts/dp/1784968153/

So you want to tell me that cover art doesn't matter in this or what is it exactly what those links shall tell me?

I started a thread in the General PCA forum to try and consolidate all the color schemes and information for painting purposes on the factions shared in the Spear of the Emperor. Feel free to swing by to give your thoughts or see if it contains the answers you are seeking.

https://www.amazon.com/Inferno-1-Tales-Worlds-Warhammer/dp/1784967335/

https://www.amazon.com/Victory-Part-Gaunts-Ghosts/dp/1784968153/

So you want to tell me that cover art doesn't matter in this?

Yep! BTW, check this out, you gonna like the dates ;)

https://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/spear-of-the-emperor-pb-ger-2018.html

https://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/spear-of-the-emperor-hb-fre-2018.html