Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Emperor's Spears covered by A D B

• Please log in to reply
1008 replies to this topic

Kelborn

Kelborn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,443 posts
  • Faction: BotL: XXth Legion - Predators

Finished it within a week, which is a new record for me due to work, having a kid, etc. msn-wink.gif

Such a damn good and well written one. It hooked me right from the intro. The way the Primaris were introduced into Elara's Veil was way more better written and done than the overall official stuff. Due to all the future stuff, which was already teased in this one, I honestly cannot wait to see a continuation. The Pure, Elysium, the fate of certain characters... Do we already know if the second one is in the making or will it be done after Aaron's contribution to the Siege?

I dare to say that the only time I was on such a hype level was after finishing Soulhunter. The Spears are so enjoyable. Their behavior, their culture, just everything was well researched. I fell in love with them, seriously. Although I got several favorite chapters, most notably the Vlka, most of the time, they are somewhat too much focused on a certain theme or are overusing certain aspects (wolfy mcwolf wolf or the Salamanders & fire or the DAs and their secrecy). The Spears, in comparison, feel more balanced, somewhat way more realistic / natural. Furthermore, they reminded me of my Hawaiian themed chapter, the Storm Riders (ocean world, storms, close brotherhood, somewhat of a bro-type).

Others have already praied this one more eloquent, previously. Long speech short: I highly reckommend this one to everyone, even if you're disliking the Primaris. This book redeems a lot. At least to me.

And thanks for giving us an insight of your research (with whom you had spoken, etc.). Knowing this made it even better.

Some thoughts I have to leave:

Spoiler

Edited by Kelborn, 17 January 2019 - 08:43 AM.

• Phoebus and DarKnight like this
tn_gallery_87379_12273_68539.jpg  tn_gallery_87379_12273_193556.jpg  tn_gallery_87379_12273_86064.png

Brotherhood of the Lost: XXth Legiones Astartes, the Predators http://www.bolterand...-the-predators/
Brotherhood of the Lost - The Icarion Insurrection: http://www.bolterand...od-of-the-lost/

Taliesin

Taliesin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 915 posts

Finished it within a week, which is a new record for me due to work, having a kid, etc. msn-wink.gif

Such a damn good and well written one. It hooked me right from the intro. The way the Primaris were introduced into Elara's Veil was way more better written and done than the overall official stuff. Due to all the future stuff, which was already teased in this one, I honestly cannot wait to see a continuation. The Pure, Elysium, the fate of certain characters... Do we already know if the second one is in the making or will it be done after Aaron's contribution to the Siege?

I believe Aaron said just last month that he is over halfway done with the second one. 

• DarKnight and Kelborn like this

Myrmidax Karras

Myrmidax Karras

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5 posts
  • Faction: Taghmata Antares

Finished my book before New Year, and was so exited, that I decided to start a primaris strike force of ES right after! And we even decided with my colleague from my gaming store that we shall make an army display with the chapter and Mechanicum + Imperial Knights allies. A lot of gamers stop by to ask about the story, since a lot of them don't know English, but they are very intrigued by the chapter. 

I am very, very impressed. So much that I can't even describe my full ponion on it (and the lack of my vocabulary actually makes describing it even worse ='(  ). It is so good to see that there are still many ways to show Space Marines different from each other. New interesting concepts and culutures, the organisation of the chapter, behaviour towards other forces of the Imperium, etc. And I can't recall any chapters (not countig Mortifactors) who are so different in so many ways, but also close to the roots of their parent chapter. They definetly won a place in my heart. I have few questions though:
>  I was surprised I haven't noticed any references to the chaplain's "bloody tears" on helmets. Or maybe I missed the mentioning of that in the book, correct me if I am wrong.
> Also, is it possible to pinpoint exactly where the Elare's Veil is situated?

> I wonder, how many firstborn marines are still there in the chapter and how many warhosts are there?
> From what I recall, there are 12 tribes on Nemeton, but we haven't heard all of them? Any chance we can get their names, prehaps even some background? Or it is left, so we can invent our own?) 

Spoiler

Although I have to admit, I started to read it again to make all things clear. And the story is too good not to do that anyway! Thanks for this wonderful jorney to the Elara's Veil, A D-B =)

• DarKnight likes this

Cleanse And Purify

Cleanse And Purify

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 222 posts

Amazing novel. Everything about it was basically perfect: great characters, incredible world-building, some excellent twists and hints of things to come.

Thanks for this one ADB, it was a true pleasure :)

• Punishing Pete likes this

We are the only source of goodness, severe and drastic.

There is no other source of hope than us.

We are agonizingly alone.

Phoebus

Phoebus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,039 posts
  • Faction: Luciferi Imperialis
What kind of sadistic soul okayed Emperor’s Spears to be released on iBooks... for just $9.99, but only in German?
  • Petitioner's City likes this

Nineswords

Nineswords

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 560 posts
  • Faction: Storm Sons
I’ve been thinking about this for a while now and regret not getting the special edition. Any word on a general release date?

We are the sword of Jaghatai. Had you not created great sins, the Emperor would not have sent a punishment like us upon you.

+++ Index Astartes: Storm Sons +++

A White Scars Successor Chapter

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,646 posts

What kind of sadistic soul okayed Emperor’s Spears to be released on iBooks... for just $9.99, but only in German?

The German hardcover edition's been out for about a month now. I could order it right now off Amazon for 22,50€ and get it delivered in 6 to 10 hours. It's really weird to see translated editions out before the regular English release for a change...

Kelborn

Kelborn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,443 posts
  • Faction: BotL: XXth Legion - Predators

Someone provided me a good explanation for that issue.

Money making. Give the English community the expensive LEs and have the others their translated ones.

If the regular hardcover would have the same release date for all languages, why getting yourself a LE instead?

That's more or less a summary of what I remember.

tn_gallery_87379_12273_68539.jpg  tn_gallery_87379_12273_193556.jpg  tn_gallery_87379_12273_86064.png

Brotherhood of the Lost: XXth Legiones Astartes, the Predators http://www.bolterand...-the-predators/
Brotherhood of the Lost - The Icarion Insurrection: http://www.bolterand...od-of-the-lost/

Taliesin

Taliesin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 915 posts

Hold on, so the translations are going up before the original? Wha? :|

Yes they are, and I think we know the reason for this.

They wanted to make more money on the English editions so they came up with the 80 pounds limited editions.

Which they did, cause it sold out. They could have done a general release in November but they deliberately chose to do that later and withhold the book.

Of course, people aren't buying a limited edition *that* expensive if the general release is soon afterwards, so that is why they wait 6 months until the regular hardback release comes out.

Clearly the foreign markets are seen as an entirely different thing.

That was me , last month in this thread ;)

• Kelborn likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users