Emperor's Spears covered by A D B

Kelborn

Finished it within a week, which is a new record for me due to work, having a kid, etc. :wink:

Such a damn good and well written one. It hooked me right from the intro. The way the Primaris were introduced into Elara's Veil was way more better written and done than the overall official stuff. Due to all the future stuff, which was already teased in this one, I honestly cannot wait to see a continuation. The Pure, Elysium, the fate of certain characters... Do we already know if the second one is in the making or will it be done after Aaron's contribution to the Siege?

I dare to say that the only time I was on such a hype level was after finishing Soulhunter. The Spears are so enjoyable. Their behavior, their culture, just everything was well researched. I fell in love with them, seriously. Although I got several favorite chapters, most notably the Vlka, most of the time, they are somewhat too much focused on a certain theme or are overusing certain aspects (wolfy mcwolf wolf or the Salamanders & fire or the DAs and their secrecy). The Spears, in comparison, feel more balanced, somewhat way more realistic / natural. Furthermore, they reminded me of my Hawaiian themed chapter, the Storm Riders (ocean world, storms, close brotherhood, somewhat of a bro-type).

Others have already praied this one more eloquent, previously. Long speech short: I highly reckommend this one to everyone, even if you're disliking the Primaris. This book redeems a lot. At least to me.

And thanks for giving us an insight of your research (with whom you had spoken, etc.). Knowing this made it even better.

Some thoughts I have to leave:

Poor Lions. :sad.:

Seriously, I thought things are getting better. Gosh, I hate the Inquisition!

I assume that just the process of creating Primaris marines reached them about 100 years ago, right? That'd be important to know regarding Primaris and how they would be assimilated into a chapter. As far as I've understood, the Spear's Primaris were the first to survive the process.

Why is it that Breâc was so highly respected? He's the equivalent to the 3rd captain, right? Wouldn't be the 1st and 2nd lords be of a higher rank? Seemed to me that he's the top officer right after the high king.

Seems like I've missed the Knight Household or was it just mentioned once?

Making Ekene the lord of the veil was so good to see! Hope that the Lions will not be screwed in book no. 2.

TEMPLARS back in Aaron's hands!!!!!!! Hell yeah!

Elara's Veil is of subsectod size, right? Really need to reconsider some thoughts / projects I had in mind for my own DIYs in terms of vastness of a chapter's protectorate, etc. Here we got three chapters tasked to guard a subsector size area. I got a area of several sector size protected by three chapters, which does not seem so right anymore. :wink:

Edited by Kelborn

Finished it within a week, which is a new record for me due to work, having a kid, etc. :wink:

Such a damn good and well written one. It hooked me right from the intro. The way the Primaris were introduced into Elara's Veil was way more better written and done than the overall official stuff. Due to all the future stuff, which was already teased in this one, I honestly cannot wait to see a continuation. The Pure, Elysium, the fate of certain characters... Do we already know if the second one is in the making or will it be done after Aaron's contribution to the Siege?

I believe Aaron said just last month that he is over halfway done with the second one. 

Finished my book before New Year, and was so exited, that I decided to start a primaris strike force of ES right after! And we even decided with my colleague from my gaming store that we shall make an army display with the chapter and Mechanicum + Imperial Knights allies. A lot of gamers stop by to ask about the story, since a lot of them don't know English, but they are very intrigued by the chapter. 

I am very, very impressed. So much that I can't even describe my full ponion on it (and the lack of my vocabulary actually makes describing it even worse ='(  ). It is so good to see that there are still many ways to show Space Marines different from each other. New interesting concepts and culutures, the organisation of the chapter, behaviour towards other forces of the Imperium, etc. And I can't recall any chapters (not countig Mortifactors) who are so different in so many ways, but also close to the roots of their parent chapter. They definetly won a place in my heart. I have few questions though:
>  I was surprised I haven't noticed any references to the chaplain's "bloody tears" on helmets. Or maybe I missed the mentioning of that in the book, correct me if I am wrong.
> Also, is it possible to pinpoint exactly where the Elare's Veil is situated?

> I wonder, how many firstborn marines are still there in the chapter and how many warhosts are there?
> From what I recall, there are 12 tribes on Nemeton, but we haven't heard all of them? Any chance we can get their names, prehaps even some background? Or it is left, so we can invent our own?) 

We also started a Deathwatch campaign with a few friends, akin to kill team, but with the "one model - one player" rule. I shall be a Primaris Apothecary of the ES, who managed to break through the Great Rift to serve as a deathwatch marine. But his temper is a little bit off, and the local Watch Commanders have to count that during operations. From what I recall, the Marines can extract one progenoid gland after maturity. This Apothecary refuses to join any kill team which have any marines with two progenoid glands intact (from what we in our store remember, a lot of chapters remove the matured glands for new organs to be grown even if a space marine is not dead), as well as don't use any melee weapons. This behaviour is explained by his geas, which he recalls it as <<One cut is good, two cuts bringeth the ravens>>. So the poor guy fights with pistols only, for he fears that not killing an enemy with a single blow in close combat shall bring trouble. Same thing with his comrades - he fears that the removal of the second progenoid by himself can cause a great disaster.

Although I have to admit, I started to read it again to make all things clear. And the story is too good not to do that anyway! Thanks for this wonderful jorney to the Elara's Veil, A D-B =)

• 3 weeks later...

What kind of sadistic soul okayed Emperor’s Spears to be released on iBooks... for just $9.99, but only in German?

The German hardcover edition's been out for about a month now. I could order it right now off Amazon for 22,50€ and get it delivered in 6 to 10 hours. It's really weird to see translated editions out before the regular English release for a change...

Someone provided me a good explanation for that issue.

Money making. Give the English community the expensive LEs and have the others their translated ones.

If the regular hardcover would have the same release date for all languages, why getting yourself a LE instead?

That's more or less a summary of what I remember.

Hold on, so the translations are going up before the original? Wha? :|

Yes they are, and I think we know the reason for this.

They wanted to make more money on the English editions so they came up with the 80 pounds limited editions.

Which they did, cause it sold out. They could have done a general release in November but they deliberately chose to do that later and withhold the book.

Of course, people aren't buying a limited edition *that* expensive if the general release is soon afterwards, so that is why they wait 6 months until the regular hardback release comes out.

Clearly the foreign markets are seen as an entirely different thing.

That was me , last month in this thread ;)

• 3 weeks later...

They probably just made a special deal with the german publishers or whatever its called. Maybe they paid Black Library more money so they can sell it earlier so people are less likely to buy the english versions directly from Black Library of something.

A friend of mine works at Thalia, if I remember it I'll ask him tomorrow evening at a party. ^^

I had a crazy busy month when the limited edition was announced, and totally missed it. I only discovered it when I started searching for the book's general release back in December. A little bitter that I missed out but nothing compared to how bitter I am that I can't even read the damn thing. I've bought all of Aaron's recent releases in hardback or limited edition when available. I hope this doesn't become a new trend.

At this point, I’m willing to accept the inevitability of exclusivity in the sense that this is the current sales model. What I wish is that Black Library would be more sensible with the wait period itself. Surely the sales data shows that A D-B’s exclusives sell out significantly faster in relation to many of his peers’. Fine, don’t announce the release date for hardback and eBook, but at least plan to have those versions out 30-60 days after the Limited Edition release. It’s not like people won’t buy them.

At this point, I’m willing to accept the inevitability of exclusivity in the sense that this is the current sales model. What I wish is that Black Library would be more sensible with the wait period itself. Surely the sales data shows that A D-B’s exclusives sell out significantly faster in relation to many of his peers’. Fine, don’t announce the release date for hardback and eBook, but at least plan to have those versions out 30-60 days after the Limited Edition release. It’s not like people won’t buy them.

ADBs limited edition black legion remained unsold for most of a year. Limited editions sales have been seriously challenged this year across all the authors. The emperors spears £85 sell out was surprising. Abnetts is still unsold, and he has a massive following. But the hardback came out stray away for it. So they’ve realised releasing the limited ed and hardback at the same time isn’t a great idea for sales. You will still buy the hardback in 3,4 or 6 months time but you also might crack and buy the expensive one.

That’s an eye opener, Pete. I’ll be honest with you, though, that makes me more opposed to the enterprise — not less. The Limited Editions look like a quality product, to be sure, but if they stands on their own merits, why not release them concurrently with hardbacks, etc.? And if they don’t sell out that way, what does that say about the product itself?

I mean, at the risk of comparing apples to oranges, remember that time when New Line Cinema released the Lord of the Rings Collector Edition Movies complete with props and art prints before even releasing the regular DVDs?

Yeah, me neither.

With situations like this, it feels like the exclusivity isn’t about what you’re physically buying, but rather a variation of the pay-to-play scheme. And that sucks, because people shouldn’t feel aggrieved by what will undoubtedly be an excellent novel by an author who’s been nothing but engaging and good to both his reading audience and this community as a whole.

Edited by Phoebus

Limited editions sales have been seriously challenged this year across all the authors.

I disagree, this year was actually very good for LE's.

Spear of the Emperor, Celestine: The Living SaintAngron - ALL of them were sold out within FEW DAYS!!! And Clark and Martin not even in top 10 BL authors.

That's crazy.

I had a crazy busy month when the limited edition was announced, and totally missed it. I only discovered it when I started searching for the book's general release back in December. A little bitter that I missed out but nothing compared to how bitter I am that I can't even read the damn thing. I've bought all of Aaron's recent releases in hardback or limited edition when available. I hope this doesn't become a new trend.

Still available in Canada https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Spear-Of-The-Emperor-hb-ltd-Ed-2018

I was about to be very upset about it not being available in the United States (what, they divide copies by nation?!?), but there was at least also one more copy still for sale in the United States. How odd that you can’t get it via Black Library’s website, though.

Limited editions sales have been seriously challenged this year across all the authors.

I disagree, this year was actually very good for LE's.

Spear of the Emperor, Celestine: The Living Saint, Angron - ALL of them were sold out within FEW DAYS!!! And Clark and Martin not even in top 10 BL authors.

That's crazy.

Sorry, yes your right on 2019, I was thinking of 2018. LE sales slumped badly in 18. They hung around for ages and I would be suprised if that didn’t cause them to try a different approach. The schedule for Solar War and spears of the emperor would seem to agree with that.

That’s an eye opener, Pete. I’ll be honest with you, though, that makes me more opposed to the enterprise — not less. The Limited Editions look like a quality product, to be sure, but if they stands on their own merits, why not release them concurrently with hardbacks, etc.? And if they don’t sell out that way, what does that say about the product itself?

Generally speaking the LE's do not stand on their own, in the sense that if they were available alongside the regular hardback/e-book, people just wouldn't buy them in significant numbers.

It's exactly why BL inserts the exclusivity into it. You can get the LE, but the regular release will "follow some time down the line". And that is what gets people to buy that LE.

The attempt is to rake in as much money as they can for a book. And it's not as if by employing this tactic they will lose many sales for the regular hardback, because people that didn't want or could afford the outrageously expensive LE, are likely to still buy the regular hardback/e-book when it becomes available in 4-6 months.

Edited by Taliesin

The Limited Edition sellout for spears isn’t surprising since it came with game material, an Index Astartes, and transfers. That was a brilliant idea. I hope they continue that trend

Much as I hate the delay, it is fair to say that they actually provided reasonable value for it.

Generally speaking the LE's do not stand on their own, in the sense that if they were available alongside the regular hardback/e-book, people just wouldn't buy them in significant numbers.

It's exactly why BL inserts the exclusivity into it. You can get the LE, but the regular release will "follow some time down the line". And that is what gets people to buy that LE.

That’s the problem, in my humble opinion. If that’s the only way you can sell out a product, you should probably reconsider what you’re offering.