Emperor's Spears covered by A D B

Kelborn

I love the Celestial Lions, but I wouldn't mind them being wiped out to a man. I would prefer to see AD-B's version of resurrecting a chapter from the brink of destruction though if that's even a viable option for the Lions at this point.

• 4 weeks later...

FINALLY..... just finished it:sweat: What a great read and what a great setup for the rest of the series. AD-B really crammed a lot into this one and did it well. What a very interesting chapter the Emperor's Spears is...… lots of great characters..... too bad so many of them had to die so soon:cry: This book was packed with great fluff without feeling forced down my throat. The picture of the desperate straight that Imperium Nihils is in is painted sparingly but vividly. For those who think not much has really changed in the 40Kverse should check this book out. The Cicatrix Maledictum brings a whole new kind of hurt to the Imperium and AD-B illustrates the point quite well. 

In spite of all of this there is still room for petty intrigue:

The assassination of the Celestial Lions Chapter Master was a terrible and petty blow. This tragic and tiny act of spite on the part of members of the Inquisition and their duplicitous lackeys, the Mentors was nothing short of treason against the Imperium.

The reaction towards Amadeus and his retinue was really quite extraordinary..... AD-B, you're not going soft on us are you?:wink:

I'm probably the last person on Earth to finish this book, but if not, read it.... you (probably) won't be disappointed.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

(apologies in advance for the semi-necromancy)

Okay, so I finally finished reading this book and I must say:

Wow, this was a page turner. My biggest complaint is that it ended. Also, cliff-hanger sequel hook :laugh.:

I can also say with 100% certainty:

The Inquisition can burn in hell. And deserves exactly what Guilliman intends to do to it. What an absolutely detestable, petty thing

All in all, definitely a book I feel is probably one of the better ones I've read from Black Library.

Then again, I don't think Aaron's ever written a book I can say is "bad". Like, imo, the "worst" one I've read I could say is a solid B- :laugh.:

Edited by Gederas

Just finished the book: really enjoyed it. The focus was much more on the characters and their interactions and development than on “events”.

I’ve also just read through this thread again: fascinating having the author’s thoughts, hints and inspiration from so early in the writing process.

Given the amount of heat that both gender and the introduction of Primaris marines generated on and off, it was interesting that I was several pages in before I knew that Anuradha was female and much further before knowing whether certain marine characters, including some very central ones, were Firstborn or Primaris. Apart from two plot points, it didn’t matter.

In response to Gederas’ spoiler:

One of the strengths of ADB’s writing is how well you feel you “get” the motivations of all the protagonists. He writes villains so well because they manage to be both villainous but coherently and comprehensibly self-justified. Nar-Kezar and the Pure are good examples of this. Indeed, Amadeus’ early unsympathetically rigid, unemotional, Codex-adherent demeanour is understandable and transcends being a clumsy meme. So, although the Inquisition is off-stage and faceless, we can bet that ADB has thought through their motivations more than purely petty revenge. The assassination plot isn’t just the Inquisition: it requires the cooperation both of the Mentors and the Officio Assassinorum (and does that then extend to the High Lords?). The Inquisition has relatively scarce resources of its own: its greatest resource is the Inquisitorial mandate and its ability to commandeer any Imperial institution’s resources. Sometimes, those resources will be shared willingly, due to shared interests; at others, the cooperation is less willing and relies on fear of the Inquisition’s power. If an Institution refuses to cooperate or indeed works against the Inquisition, there must be negative consequences for that institution or fear and the need to cooperate diminish, impeding the Inquisition’s mission. And from the Inquisition’s perspective, that leads to unchecked heresy, apostasy and the doom of the Imperium.

Not saying the Inquisition weren’t the bad guys here, but at least the plot makes sense!

I don’t think anyone’s commented on the Spears’ message of defiance sent back to the Inquisition. It’s certainly not conciliatory and the last line, “The Veil is ours!”, is hard for the Imperium to read as anything but a declaration of secession. I fear there will be consequences...

See, the way I see the Inquisition seeing it, is that in the time of Imperium Nihilus attempts to stand against the authority of the Inquisition, and thus the Imperium, need to be stamped down on even more heavily. The Imperium doesn't just guard against external threats, it guards against internal too, so heretics need to know that the Imperium will still be able to find them, no matter where they flee.

See, the way I see the Inquisition seeing it, is that in the time of Imperium Nihilus attempts to stand against the authority of the Inquisition, and thus the Imperium, need to be stamped down on even more heavily. The Imperium doesn't just guard against external threats, it guards against internal too, so heretics need to know that the Imperium will still be able to find them, no matter where they flee.
Exactly. Of course, this doesn’t preclude the possibility that an individual inquisitor, embarrassed and infuriated by the Lions’ defiance, is motivated by revenge (alas, human nature), but they would have had to convince the Mentors and the Officio Assassinorum (and likely other inquisitors) to commit resources to the plot. I’m sure their arguments would have been much as we’ve said.

It does raise a tangential question: is there no Inquisition presence in the Elara’s Veil sub-sector? If there is, what is their relationship with the Adeptus Vaelari? Could be an interesting story to be told about the Inquisition stranded in Imperium Nihilus.

Exactly. Of course, this doesn’t preclude the possibility that an individual inquisitor, embarrassed and infuriated by the Lions’ defiance, is motivated by revenge (alas, human nature), but they would have had to convince the Mentors and the Officio Assassinorum (and likely other inquisitors) to commit resources to the plot. I’m sure their arguments would have been much as we’ve said.

It does raise a tangential question: is there no Inquisition presence in the Elara’s Veil sub-sector? If there is, what is their relationship with the Adeptus Vaelari? Could be an interesting story to be told about the Inquisition stranded in Imperium Nihilus.

There's just one single Inquisitor over there, sitting in the foetal position, rocking back and forth muttering "the Lions are coming for me... the Lions are coming for me".

There's just one single Inquisitor over there, sitting in the foetal position, rocking back and forth muttering "the Lions are coming for me... the Lions are coming for me".

Elara’s Veil is not a good place to flash your rosette now!

Emperor's Spears II when?

I recall ADB talking about the

evacuation of Elysium
on Twitter in, like, 2018-time

Aaron's not a super fast writer (which isn't a bad thing as his quality output shows :laugh.:), and I think he's still working on Black Legion 3: The Drach'Nyening currently, so we won't see it until late this year at earliest.

I mean, do we need to be reminded why the Inquisition marked the Lions for death? It was because the Lions DARED to try and complain to the High Lords of Terra for an Inquisitor declaring Exterminatus on a planet the Lions just got finished pacifying and were in the process of repenting.

Quick reminder of that incident:

The Celestial Lions came into conflict with the Inquisition during the pacification of the world Khattar. Khattar was a Shrine World with a large, faithful population. When the upper echelons of the priesthood fell into worship of the Ruinous Powers, an Inquisitor Lord by the name of Apollyon called for an Imperial Navy blockade of the world in addition to Astartes support, a call that the Celestial Lions answered. After months of brutal fighting, the Celestial Lions managed to cut the head off the local heretic priests, and with that, the world's population lost the will to fight and surrendered to the Astartes. As the Lions were withdrawing, Inquisitor Apollyon decided that since the priesthood had been corrupt, the surrendering and repentant civilian population must also be corrupt, so he ordered Exterminatus on the planet. The Lions were, obviously, not very amused. After Apollyon refused to be held accountable for the senseless massacre, saying it was necessary, the Lions sent a Strike Cruiser with a delegation of Deathspeakers and Warleaders (Chaplains and Captains, respectively) to Holy Terra with the intention of entreating the High Lords of Terra to call the Inquisition to task over what they'd done. The ship was discovered two years later in Ork-controlled space, with no one left alive in it, nowhere even close to its intended destination.

The Inquisition's actions towards the Lions was always petty. The

assassination of Ekene Dubaku
shows that even more. Edited by Gederas

evacuation of Elysium

Aaron's not a super fast writer (which isn't a bad thing as his quality output shows :laugh.:), and I think he's still working on Black Legion 3: The Drach'Nyening currently, so we won't see it until late this year at earliest.

I believe he actually went from Spears 1 straight to Spears 2.  So if he's working on BL3 now, I'd lean towards Spears 2 being either finished or in final polishing.

evacuation of Elysium

I believe he actually went from Spears 1 straight to Spears 2.  So if he's working on BL3 now, I'd lean towards Spears 2 being either finished or in final polishing.

Ah, okay.

I think the main issue is Black Library is really bad with announcements regarding books, they normally only do a reveal when it's about to go on pre-order :lol:

evacuation of Elysium

Based on stalking ADB's Twitter every day since early 2018 I concur Emperor's Spears II seems about done and Black Legion III is currently in the making. I do wonder where his Siege of Terra entry fits into this though. I would bet real stakes he's doing the penultimate book, but I could be wrong. I mean who expected Dan the Man to do a random (if excellent) book at the half-time point?

I'm also willing to bet real stakes (again) that Black Legion III will be called Chaos Ascendant based on a post he made on my old forum in like... 2012 or something

evacuation of Elysium
I believe he actually went from Spears 1 straight to Spears 2. So if he's working on BL3 now, I'd lean towards Spears 2 being either finished or in final polishing.

Based on stalking ADB's Twitter every day since early 2018 I concur Emperor's Spears II seems about done and Black Legion III is currently in the making. I do wonder where his Siege of Terra entry fits into this though. I would bet real stakes he's doing the penultimate book, but I could be wrong. I mean who expected Dan the Man to do a random (if excellent) book at the half-time point?

I'm also willing to bet real stakes (again) that Black Legion III will be called Chaos Ascendant based on a post he made on my old forum in like... 2012 or something

My guess is ADB writes the second to last SoT book to set up Dan's book

Chaos Ascendant fits since it is probably the book where Abaddon gets Drach'nyen

Its just an idea ... but because the existence of the Black Templars in this story it could bring us to an old friend --> Castelan Draco who is official marked as traiter in the Imperial Fists Supplement. Maybe he is that guy who kicks some Inquisitors asses

Edited by Medjugorje

Its just an idea ... but because the existence of the Black Templars in this story it could bring us to an old friend --> Castelan Draco who is official marked as traiter in the Imperial Fists Supplement. Maybe he is that guy who kicks some Inquisitors asses

Who was that again? The name sounds familiar.

Who was that again? The name sounds familiar.

A limited edition model from 2000 that got grandfathered in as a BT character (no rules, I think, but some background) in WD in the mid-2000s, then was mentioned in the IF supplement last year as being excommunicate traitoris. He was never a big deal but BT fans sort of latched onto him for lack of anything else.

hard said but true. GW dont have that love for BT anymore like they used to.

But nothing happen without reason - I think it could be a thing especially because A-D-B often writes about BT.

It's really a shame - I like ADBs depiction of the Templars and they look awesome. I'm still kinda bummed that Indomitus - especially with that knightly theme - doesn't features Sigismund's descendants. And I'm an Ultramarine guy.

Thanks for the heads-up on Draco. I vaguely remember the model now. I guess, Helbrecht and Grimaldus stuck with me more, tho. :)

• 1 month later...