Emperor's Spears covered by A D B

Kelborn

Not gonna lie, Spears influenced my friend and I into creating our own custom Chapters in a situation similar to the Veil. It did so much to show just how messed up things are in Imperium Nihilus, not just "it's like the Terran side, there's just a warp rift in the way". Things are categorically Not Good over there. While it's not in the book, I also love that he's pointed out that Dante being the Warden of Imperium Nihilus doesn't really mean much in practice, he's not got the long-ranged communication and travel that would be required to actually lead the Imperium over there. Nobody does.

Yep, I'm in the same boat. The amount of money I have burned after reading an ADB book...

I'm in between moving, and once I'm settled, I think it's time for a fresh army I've never done before.

Edit: and boy, I'm glad I haven't kept up with this thread. I'd probably have gotten it locked too. :p

Edited by Scribe

Annnnnnd finished.

This book is embarrassingly good.

Honestly up there with the great ones.

I believe that there is more coming?

Iirc, Aaron leaned heavily on the 4th wall in the novel itself, outright stating in it that it's the first of a trilogy :laugh.:

So yes, there's still two more to go. :yes:

Edited by Gederas

Well the narrative would indicate it's the first chapter yes.

What a book. I will need to go gush at ADB, it's been so long since I've read anything from him I have forgotten why he's at the top for me.

Literally pages in, you care more about his characters than others can tease out over a series.

And the setting, man. Thaaaaaat is my 40K.

I believe so, but not for a little while, he's still got his Siege book to release, and the next Black Legion book too. At least both of those are nearly done.

Spears 2 finished a little while back.

BL 3 literally finishing any moment this week (see my post in upcoming).

SoT 7 (assumed number) not yet started.

Edit to add - Spears really is very good indeed.

Edited by DukeLeto69

It's a good, solid book. No breaking of the Emperor's dream or Legions spilling out of the Eye, but what it does it does very well - like a pretty plain but very well cooked and seasoned risotto. It's like ADB digs deep into themes and scenarios we take for granted and have seen explained hundreds of times, but portrays them up super well: Chapter homeworlds/systems, Gellar-field collapses, Space Marine-serf relationships, life on a Chaos ship and so on. I also enjoyed the layers of mistrust and deception going on, and the book reads even better the second time around