Emperor's Spears covered by A D B

Kelborn

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm basically bleeding out of my eyes from watching a late-night showing of the director's cut of Das Boot, but I'm tremendously excited to hear of new ADB coming down the pipe.

I guess I'm wondering, why the Emperor's Spears? Almost nothing about them seems to exist, from what I can tell. Why not create a whole new Chapter rather than drawing from one of the lesser-known existing Chapters? Not a criticism, just curious.  

That's a good question. 

The dream, I guess, is your own Chapter. But that's also the... easy route, I guess? I don't know how or why, but at some point the dream sort of becomes taking a Chapter that's just a scheme and a name from the history of the setting, and making that your own instead. I'm not sure why. It's sort of like... you're not here to invent your own stuff and make it prominent, you're here to illustrate the setting as best as you can, in your own voice. Nothing quite that set in stone, but that kind of angle. You're still in the sandbox.

"My" Chapter is already in the lore: I chucked in a few references to the Angels Numinous in the background, and that's that. I put my wife's Chapter in, too: the Shadow Wolves get a few mentions in the background with no real detail, but just so they 'exist', so to speak.

It's like Dan with Brothers of the Snake. He invented the Silver Guard, but he took the Iron Snakes from Ye Olde Lore, with nothing much mentioned about them, and made them his own.

EDIT: Phone typos.

Always been curious where the Shadow Wolves came from. Now I know

So I'm basically bleeding out of my eyes from watching a late-night showing of the director's cut of Das Boot, but I'm tremendously excited to hear of new ADB coming down the pipe.

I guess I'm wondering, why the Emperor's Spears? Almost nothing about them seems to exist, from what I can tell. Why not create a whole new Chapter rather than drawing from one of the lesser-known existing Chapters? Not a criticism, just curious.  

That's a good question. 

The dream, I guess, is your own Chapter. But that's also the... easy route, I guess? I don't know how or why, but at some point the dream sort of becomes taking a Chapter that's just a scheme and a name from the history of the setting, and making that your own instead. I'm not sure why. It's sort of like... you're not here to invent your own stuff and make it prominent, you're here to illustrate the setting as best as you can, in your own voice. Nothing quite that set in stone, but that kind of angle. You're still in the sandbox.

"My" Chapter is already in the lore: I chucked in a few references to the Angels Numinous in the background, and that's that. I put my wife's Chapter in, too: the Shadow Wolves get a few mentions in the background with no real detail, but just so they 'exist', so to speak.

It's like Dan with Brothers of the Snake. He invented the Silver Guard, but he took the Iron Snakes from Ye Olde Lore, with nothing much mentioned about them, and made them his own.

EDIT: Phone typos.

Always been curious where the Shadow Wolves came from. Now I know

So from where do the Shadow Wolves came from?

He gave away the name of an upcoming protaganist on his FB- Justinian.

Emperor Justinian's life might shed some light on the Spears https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justinian_I

Maybe he's restoring a chapter to a lost former glory? Maybe he fights Tzeenchian rebels called the Tzani? Maybe I'm reading too much into things?

He gave away the name of an upcoming protaganist on his FB- Justinian.

Emperor Justinian's life might shed some light on the Spears https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justinian_I

Maybe he's restoring a chapter to a lost former glory? Maybe he fights Tzeenchian rebels called the Tzani? Maybe I'm reading too much into things?

You are reading too much into things ;) It's all rumours and wishful thinking by that point :)

Of course, it is possible that he was inspired by Justinian II, the "Rhinotmetos", in which case... oh boy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justinian_II

Also, for more scholarly account:

http://www.roman-emperors.org/Just2.htm

Good catch! So if A D-B like Justinian he will make him a Chapter Master and depose him by the hands of a sergeant ;)

• 2 months later...

In your humble opinion, of course. :P

Though I can see why some will dislike the Ultima Founding, I'm curious of how it will turn out in the end and if I may create my latest chapter idea the way I wanted (namely a Vlka successor).

And yes, Heri. I know that it will be "as horrible as the abomination called Gathering Storm" and so on. Surprise me with something new in your humble opinion, of course. :P

In your humble opinion, of course. :tongue.:

Though I can see why some will dislike the Ultima Founding, I'm curious of how it will turn out in the end and if I may create my latest chapter idea the way I wanted (namely a Vlka successor).

And yes, Heri. I know that it will be "as horrible as the abomination called Gathering Storm" and so on. Surprise me with something new in your humble opinion, of course. :tongue.:

Nothing is more horrible than Gathering Storm lol.

He got it right from point to point if you do not believe me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GdxRK3qm1A

Will the Ultima Founding and its implications feature in the story or will it be set prior to these events? Just curious.

It's set in one of the many parts of the Imperium where "the Imperium" no longer really exists as a cohesive whole. Not that it was ever cohesive, but you know what I mean. Once you cross the divide into Imperium Nihilus, it's Mad Max: Fury Road out there. So timeline-wise, it's around those events; the Ultima Founding doesn't feature directly but its implications do, yep.

Is there a space for sizeable* chunk of space to remain under Imperial control, but obviously still cut off? The way some Roman cities and towns survived the collapse of Rome.

*sizeable as in enough for a decent sized fleet and large guard armies but not like Ultramar.

Is there a space for sizeable* chunk of space to remain under Imperial control, but obviously still cut off? The way some Roman cities and towns survived the collapse of Rome.

*sizeable as in enough for a decent sized fleet and large guard armies but not like Ultramar.

It's nebulous right now, and I can't say much about the setting without getting my wrist slapped, but yes, yes, yes, and indeed so. A lot of that kind of freedom going around.

It's nebulous right now, and I can't say much about the setting without getting my wrist slapped, but yes, yes, yes, and indeed so. A lot of that kind of freedom going around.

To be more direct - GS = AoS with WFB being hidden instead of destroyed ;)

Interesting to see enclaves that are still loyal to the throne on Terra getting into wars over resources.