The Deathwatch (post) FAQ Concern Thread

Prot

If you want bang for your buck, get the terminator pack, that will give you 3 sprues, thats 30 bucks worth of deathwatch conversions....and 5 Terminators with not enough CML or any meltafists in the box.

• 2 weeks later...
So I watched a certain battle report when I read a comment saying that Deathwatch Frag Cannons do not fire 2 d3s for their template weapons on Overwatch  According to the BRB:

Q: How many shooting attacks can I do when

firing Overwatch?

A: As many as the model can fire in the Shooting phase

However, when I looked at the Blood Angels FAQ

Q: Does the Wall of Death rule give frag cannons 1D3 or 2D3

hits when firing Overwatch?

A: 1D3.

So by that logic, this should also apply to the Deathwatch Frag Cannon, right? I never played Blood Angels so I wouldn't have known about this bit of information until recently. Why wasn't it mentioned on the Deathwatch FAQ page? :/

Either way, I sent this question to the 40k Facebook page hoping for confirmation as well as to have it updated in their FAQ in the future. 

From 40k Rulebook FAQ pg 14.

Q: In the case of a template weapon that fires two or more times (such as the Blood Angels’ frag cannon), do they still only inflict D3 hits when firing Overwatch, or D3 hits per number of shots in the weapon profile? A: Always D3 regardless of the weapon’s profile.

• 4 weeks later...

With 8th coming out soon, it looks like the Codex will no longer be compatible. I wonder how this will work? Stopgap PDFs for armies or vague rules?

What happens to my codexes?

The rules in our current range of Warhammer 40,000 codexes aren’t compatible with the new edition of Warhammer 40,000. These books will be going off sale very soon. If you do want to pick any up, now’s the time – as all of the great hobby content and background information will be as valid as ever.

If I had to guess, it'll be like the recent Shadow Wars rules, but on a larger scale.

The main thing now is how it affects lists since I'm assuming they'll revamp the points cost on everything. Also Grav weapons; really wonder what will happen to those.

Now that 8th is officially close to release, and the updating of all rules confirmed, I'd recommend against modeling any odd combination of wargear. You'll probably have to pull off any bonus weapon you got by trading in your CCW. I'd even expect the PF/LC combo to lose their benefit, so just be aware that big changes are coming.

With 8th coming out soon, it looks like the Codex will no longer be compatible. I wonder how this will work? Stopgap PDFs for armies or vague rules?

What happens to my codexes?

The rules in our current range of Warhammer 40,000 codexes aren’t compatible with the new edition of Warhammer 40,000. These books will be going off sale very soon. If you do want to pick any up, now’s the time – as all of the great hobby content and background information will be as valid as ever.

My guess is that 40k will follow AoS's example by providing free datasheets for armies until we get brand new codices for them. 

I knew the conversation would shift once the 8th edition announcement was made. Obviously this thread was never intended to host any 8th edition conversation. You'll have to make a new thread for that.

I'll close out by saying this FAQ has been very awkward and poorly executed by GW and very disappointing. I don't think I've seen any of their modern FAQs cause this much controversy before. What's more disheartening is how they never really fixed or revisited the FAQ or Codex even with all our concerns. This always made me truly question the sinscerity and long term plans behind the codex.

That being said we are still in 7th ed for the time being so I'll keep this up for a bit longer just in case but once 8th hits, providing we aren't relegated to a unit entry in a different codex, this thread will exist in a locked state.

Thanks to everyone that tried to fight the good fight and actually mentioned our concerns on the GW Facebook. It was good to see a valiant effort by our community even if GW ignored it.

I would urge people to shift there efforts towards making GW keep Deathwatch as a real Faction as I believe that might be in peril.

So going forward let's please try to keep this thread 7th edition centric and have our 8th edition concerns in the main Deathwatch area.

Thank you.

• 1 year later...

Archived