Space wolves hit and run

Purge the Daemon

For the question whether an IC ceases to be a one model unit when he joins another unit, saying the IC is a one model unit makes the joining pretty pointless, but that is what the rules say. I wouldn't play it that way.

Concerning a TDA IC joining a non-TDA unit, the IC becomes part of the unit he joined not the other way around. Neither the IC rule nor any other rule that I am aware of say that the unit loses the property of not being a TDA unit, so the unit still is a non-TDA unit. I'm pretty sure this is not what FW intended, and will possibly fix it, but right now it works. It is similar to the initial version of Cataphractii armour.

Posted · Hidden by Slips, February 24, 2017 - No reason given
Hidden by Slips, February 24, 2017 - No reason given

I can just imagine the conversation at the table...

"Ok I'm going to H&R with my terms..."

"But.... the RoW says they can't."

"But... there's this loop hole."

"So you're telling me your that guy."

sad.png

Posted · Hidden by Slips, February 24, 2017 - No reason given
Hidden by Slips, February 24, 2017 - No reason given

"You're that guy"

"But...this is how USRs work in every case where it says 'if one model in the unit has it' "

"Cheater WAACTFG"

"But...you did the same when your chaplain gave your squad fearless"

"I'M POSTING ON THE INTERNET ABOUT YOU"

After re-reading the rule, it explicitly says that infantry units not equipped with terminator armour gain the H&R special rule. It doesn't disallow Terminator infantry to H&R, just that they don't gain the special rule. So when an independent character joins their squad (a speaker for instance), the terminators would gain Fearless, Preferred Enemy (Infantry), and Hit and Run because all those rules are "conferable" (as in the wording of the rule states that only one model in the unit needs to have the rule for all models in the unit to gain it).

Does that abide by the fluff? Apparently not considering what the Bleed and Harry special rule says. Is there a way to get around the restriction? Yes, it is a completely legal tactic. Just not one I will use, specifically with cataphractii. I will use the tactic on tartaros, because I think it makes sense.

Really the debate should have ended with that a couple of pages ago. Rules allow it, but it doesn't make sense on Cataphracts, so the "gentlemanly" option is to not break fluff and use Tartaros.

I would have no issue with that, and that's coming from someone who is still conflicted about using Cataphracts in Rites that don't allow Slow&Purposeful.

I guess my opinion based around the models and the impact the rules would have. My first thought is this, how many units really can make use of hit and run that the SW have access to, where it would have much impact on the game. In my opinion, only say a 20 man GS blob. A 10 man squad often is going to be killed or crippled in combat. So from that perspective maybe the designers thought of this. A unit of terminators having hit and run certainly doesn't break the game and its certainly not better than some of the other rules/units FW has come up with. Perhaps its part of the reason the SW terminators are overpriced as they have the option to gain hit and run with one of the RoW? It's certainly not that hard to imagine. 

• 2 weeks later...

It seems pretty clear; Pale Hunters grants the H&R USR with a specific exclusion. If you attach an non-terminator equipped model to a unit in TDA and attempt to grant them the USR, you are breaking the exclusion set by the RoW.

Just look at it as the RoW is granting a specific version of the H&R USR because of the exclusion and it works out just fine. Unless your whole intent is to circumvent the RAW of the RoW to get H&R on terminator equipped infantry in which case you are being :cuss.

Archived