3D modeling and printing...

Shadow Captain Vyper

So I really want to get some custom Storm Shields for my upcoming builds with Vanguard Vets. My issue is I have zero 3d modeling experience, and I want to get something printed up on a site like Shapeways. My questions for you all is as follows:

1) Have you seen anyone on a 40k site offering to do commission/custom 3d modeling? I have seen it with Decals on our own site here, and I figure with the abundance of Shapeways shoulder pads, finding someone who is willing to do this shouldn't be too hard. Furthermore, if you know of multiple folks that are doing it, do you have one you would recommend?

2) My crappy paint mockup is below, I have two different designs in mind. I want a shield that is sleek, with minimal ornamentation, but uses the RG symbol as the overall shape and style. I also want the shield to have a lot of hard angles to convey that "stealth" feel. Minimalistic and modern. (Some examples include the F-117A Nighthawk fighter, and meshed with the Corax/Dark Fury aesthetic that Forgeworld has put out recently). If you have any feedback on the designs below, I would love to hear it!

gallery_16835_12893_99273.jpg

Half shield is definitely my favourite.

Would be great to add a cut out bolter slit on the straight edge to allow firing while advancing behind the shield's.

I'd definitely pick some up for a zone mortals boarding team.

Cheers,

Valaas

How about like this? Apologies again for my MSPaint skills, really have never been a graphic design type of person. I really don't care for the way I cut this one at the top from beak to pinion.

gallery_16835_12893_31342.jpg

Half-shield is a great idea.

The full shield doesn't appeal to me due to the shape. Nothing wrong with having it in the shape of the chapter mind, but it's a lot wider at the bottom than the top. Which is the opposite of what a shield should be.

Long time lurker and fan of the spire here who has finally left the shadows so be gentle. 

This idea is awesome and I work with design programs so I thought i'd make you the emblem and a shield suggestion in case it was helpful. Both are made using vectors (which i'm pretty sure whoever is doing the 3D modelling will appreciate and if you message me i'm happy to give you the original files) I found there was quite a bit of variation for the RG emblem itself so I settled on reference from forge world.

Hope it's helpful/adds to the discussion!

RG Shield

Recently I saw some 3D build RG rhino (or maybe LR) doors. The resolution of the printer was low, so they would have taken a lot of sanding. By the look of it it seemed a bit thin and brittle, so I passed.

So depending on your resolution (Shapeways' is very good, ie no filing needed) it is worth building some thichness to your design if it needs a little TLC after the print.

I do some from time to time, though so far only low-res GK prototyping since I'm forced to deal with the limitations of my home printer.

I'll take a shot at seeing what I can put together, especially since I need about 20 combat shields for my 30k assault marines!

Ooh! Idea!

What about a half shield on both arms...that combine to form the chapter symbol?

And then work out a way to combine it with lightning claws...

Have the Raven Talons act like lightning claws...

I started a conversation thread with POP Goes The Monkey on Shapeways tonight, ill post back when I hear his response.

I do some from time to time, though so far only low-res GK prototyping since I'm forced to deal with the limitations of my home printer.

I'll take a shot at seeing what I can put together, especially since I need about 20 combat shields for my 30k assault marines!

I look forward to seeing what you come up with for sure. If you want to spitball any ideas, feel free to post here or PM me. I have felt for sometime that Raven Guard shields is something in high demand, but most of the options out there look too clunky and over-sized for our stealthy legion!

99550101253_Terminatorweaponpack01.jpg

Tartaros Storm Shield has always been my favorite pattern. Very minimalistic and stealthy. Put your chapter emblem on it (especially a fairly symmetrical one like RG) and it would look cool. The RG symbol is bottom heavy, so you will have a fatter, bell-shaped shield if you incorporate it into the design.

Not really relevant to your topic though, so apologies for that.

Edited by Tyberos the Red Wake

Honestly totally relevant. I welcome any and all brainstorming on shape/design/style. I too like that Tartaros pattern shield quite a lot. Its very reminiscent of the Assault Squad combat shield, in its minimalistic nature. I had thought about using something of that style/type, and just making a stencil of the RG logo, but in a way that's blown up, so part of it is cut off, thus making it more abstract. My concern with that idea was too much white (albeit probably not an issue for Vanguard Veterans, which is my primary concern for these).