3D modeling and printing...

Shadow Captain Vyper

If you want to have shields, then go to facebook and look for ML Shields or Lasercut Candies. He will make a shield following your wishes and designs. Is a lot cheaper than shapeways.

https://m.facebook.com/MisterLaserShields/?locale2=de_DE

Very nice guy who does his best to make the costumers happy.

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

So not to hijack but this seems like the appropriate place.

For those who haven't been following the news thread. There is a new store on shapeways offering shoulder pads. They have RG and Raptors ones, as well as force org ones for those who really want next level.

They also seems pretty responsive in their thread to new suggestions.

Their store is here

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/plokoone-s-bits?s=96#more-products

I've been fiddling with a few designs since I last posted, but life has been busy so I haven't had huge amounts of time. one of the things I did do was to use the chapter symbol to set the width but went for a more traditional straight edge to avoid the odd narrow-top look. With any luck I should be able to sort out the pad issues I'm having with the symbol itself by tonight. (freecad isn't the best program in the world to work with for doing curvatures)

Per Duz's suggestion (I had not received a response from Pop Goes The Monkey yet). I decided to shoot Plokoone a PM on the board (The shapeways designer Duz recommended). He responded, and his response gave me a lot of hope/excitement. I felt it pertinent to post it here so everyone else could be in the loop. Also if Windstorm comes up with anything, he can feel free to post it in this thread as well, as I have linked the thread to Plokoone, so he can refer to it. Here is the message below:

Plokoone, on 08 Mar 2017 - 8:06 PM, said:

Hello Vyper,

I'm in the process of finishing a wrist-mounted combat shield based on the one from the Assault Marine box.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZL5NW2YCP/combat-shield-wip?li=shop-inventory

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marine-Assault-Squad-BA

I was also recently asked to make a large storm/breacher shield based on the design here which requires me to make a hand for the first time.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Ultramarines-Praetorian-Breacher-Shields

I intend to order prototypes of each next week and after seeing them in person and making necessary adjustments I'd be happy to have a go at a sleeker pattern for the Raven Guard smile.png

I love those Dark Fury wings by the way. That shape may make an excellent starting point for a shield.

Best,

Plokoone

Aximand responded:

Love it, this response is full of all sorts of win. If you don't mind, I will be posting your reply in our thread, and I expect my fellow brothers will be rubbing their hands together with anticipation right after reading it, much like I did. I think the Dark Fury wings is an excellent starting point for shape and aesthetic. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

hand rubbing in 5...4...3...2...1... Gleeful smile whilst hand rubbing :biggrin.:

good news indeed Vyper,thanks for the update.

Iv'e seen Plokoone's efforts so yes this will be exciting indeed.

cheers Mithril 

• 1 month later...

A couple updates:

Matt Sweitzer of Pop goes the Monkey got back to me via Shapeways PM about my proposal. He was aware that I had got some headway with Plokoone and told me he is always free for commission work (he just asks that whoever he does the commission purchases at least one sprue of the finished product). He also sent me a link to an e-mail newsletter he is starting up, since his business has grown substantially more than anticipated, as a way of keeping in touch with his customer base: http://eepurl.com/cFzqSL 

Plokoone also got back to me, and he stated that he is satisfied with his prototype shields he was designing for the commission in line before my request, which means he has started work on the Raven Guard concept. Get hype!

• 1 month later...

Update!

Got a response from Plokoone, here is the current design he has come up with:gallery_54286_12794_190475.jpg

Here is my feedback I just sent him:

I like the design you have a lot. My only criticism at this time is I feel that the balance (aesthetically) is a little off. Most occurrences of the Raven Guard logo have a higher ratio of "feathered" to "upper/pinion". So I would say the "feathers should go up just a little higher. This current rendition looks to be somewhere close to 50/50, and most of the chapter badges appear closer to 70/30 (70% feathers to 30% upper/pinion). I really like how you gave the feathered section a backing but allowed the feathers to protrude. It makes it feel both solid but lethal/light/compact.

If you have feedback of your own, feel free to post it here, and I can forward it onto him.

Edited by ltvyper

When I first started following this thread, I was indifferent to the idea but thought I'd keep an eye on it to see how it panned out.

Seeing that mockup, I'm sitting here with my mouth open. That's awesome. The scale's good, he's been subtle with how he's put together Raven Guard elements and left space for decals/freehand/whatever so people can make them their own. I'll be keeping a very close eye on this, now.

I like it.

It resembles a re purposed Dark Fury jump pack wing.

I think making it look too much like the chapter symbol would have been a mistake.

Is what you said in regards to similarity between the shield and symbol in response to my feedback, or in general?

I too am very pleased with the design, does anyone else have any feedback they would like me to relay? I imagine the next step is for him to order a prototype, and I want to make sure we're all good to go before that stage!

:)

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the feedback and sorry this has taken so long to do.

I made a minor alteration based on Vyper's feedback so you can see it side by side with the original that was posted above.

Whichever version you guys prefer will be in the public shop but I can still make the other version available for sale as well.

gallery_54286_12794_211407.jpg

I hope to order a prototype tomorrow evening.

Best,

Plokoone

I like it.

It resembles a re purposed Dark Fury jump pack wing.

I think making it look too much like the chapter symbol would have been a mistake.

Is what you said in regards to similarity between the shield and symbol in response to my feedback, or in general?

:)

In general.

One only has to look at the Ultramarines to see how ridiculous overusing the chapter symbol can get.

Personally I prefer 1, the side edge for the top section leads more nicely into the bottom section, and I like the additional real estate in the top section. It's all subjective, though...