Imperial Knight House Cenwulf (More Rangers and Army Shot!)

Vash113

Great to see you making more progress still, I think they look nice. The colour scheme really works well so I'm looking forward to seeing an army shot :wink:

Thanks, I plan to do an army shot when I get the second Ranger squad painted, which I'll hopefully finish in the next couple of days.

These are some really nice models but I have one small criticism. I find with the muted colours of your models that the green base rim is pulling attention away from the model themselves. I think if you went for a less intense colour for the base rims they will look better over all.

Yea the base color doesn't work well with all of my armies, however it's the color I use on ALL of my models and sort-of helps tie them all together and make it clear (particularly in Apoc Games) which ones are mine and it's something I've done for well over a decade. That said I really should just bite the bullet and start using a more muted color, maybe tan or something earthy, on the bases instead. It's something I'm considering.

Great work overall!  I have to agree with most of the replies here regarding the speed and consistency of your work.  I can't imagine trying to get so much done in such short time and yet maintain that standard.

To be perfectly honest the speed is HIGHLY unusual for me, in the last couple of months I've painted more than in the last two years... easy. I'm not entirely sure why but I've just been in a productive mood the last while and I'm trying to take full advantage of it and get as much painted as I can in that time. It also helps keep me motivated to set personal deadlines and benchmarks, helps me feel like I'm making steady progress. Also since this is a new army for me I've been forcing myself to paint what I've bought before buying more and that also helps keep me working forward where armies like my Space Wolves have half a dozen expansion projects in the works at the same time cobbled together from opportunistic second-hand purchases and trades.

As for the consistency my techniques are all speed painting methods, I try for the best effect with the least complex or time intensive input. Simple dry-brushes and washes and once I have the scheme worked out I try to stick to it reliably across the army. In this way I can work slowly and carefully while still producing faster results than many other painting techniques that rely on edge-highlighting, layering, wet-blending and so on. It also doesn't hurt that I've now got a lot of practice painting this way over well more than a decade and my results now far outstrip my earliest work.

I feel I've been heading the same direction with my own projects, though I'm certainly still not as fast (despite my best efforts).  Still, it's encouraging to see that others struggle with maintaining consistency and making measured improvements in a similar way to me.  :)

After quite a bit of procrastination I've finally finished the second five man squad of Skitarii Rangers to serve as my household Huscarls. That completes ALL of my purchases and builds for the army so far and I'm planning to get another Skitarii Get Started box to make four squads of Rangers, and add a second Dunecrawler. After that a third Dunecrawler, two Tech-Priest Engineseers and two more full squadrons of Sentinels and maybe some Ironstrider Dragoons should finish out the list to my satisfaction.

Anyway onto the pics:

So here's the squad and a close-up of the squad marking on the trench coats. Like on the Sentinels I went with Futherk Alphabet numerals, A and B essentially.

Here are a couple of pics of the entire army as it stands, I'm really pleased so far with how well the army looks together, the different models and aesthetics blending nicely through a shared paint scheme even though I've kept conversions to a minimum.

So whatcha guys think of the army so far? I've started slowing down in my painting and might take a break for another project for a little bit but I want to keep on this army until it's done to my satisfaction, progress so far has been good and I don't want to lose too much momentum.

Addenda: I've gone back and added spoiler tags to all the images cause the loading pics were screwing with my browser, hopefully that also helps some of you and makes the thread easier to scroll through.