Order of the Penitent Spirit (WIP)

Atrus

Still attacking the blob squad...

Rustled around a mates bits box the other night looking for meltaguns to convert some sisters- namely the ones holding the grenade to their mouth as their bolter is the easiest to snip away and replace.  Who has 2 thumbs and doesn't want to spend $20 on a basic troop model?  This guy.

Anyways, amongst the bits which included a couple of multimeltas and around 10 Empire crossbows- yeah we know there's going to be some bolter stake crossbow combi conversions happening.  There was this little beauty.  He couldn't remember what it was from but it still looked suhweet.

18556303_1421050834605124_35488450080452

Minor adjustments to a Superior to get her holding it up.

18519629_1421050777938463_47346685460658

18486368_1421050861271788_28867834145151

Fudged up the fluer placement :(  Need to work on my writing skills.

Methinks I'll be using this as a Simulcrum imperialis.  Though its unique enough I could probably use it as a sacred banner of some description.

• 1 month later...

Been very busy of late and not had much time to do anything hobby related.  I did start working on painting up one of my 3 Exorcists but stopped when I needed to get some brass paint for the pipe bit, then life took over.

What follows is a bit of fun I've done over the past couple of nights.

19732230_1476474092396131_72214457037408

These are the sisters known simply as "The Twins"...mostly because I've just now realised I've not come up with a name for them...

19665124_1476473965729477_47366248021243

They've been modified from a couple of spare particularly posed Seraphim I had.  I do feel a little dirty doing this to such expensive models, but at the end of the day I like whats come of it and I enjoyed the process.

19732016_1476473775729496_66254748558726

The Twins bear a unique weapon make each.  One a "Sodom" Pattern, the other a "Gomorrah" Pattern Sniper Flame Thrower....might I emphasise the 'fun' side of this XD

The weapons are named "Fire" and "Brimstone".

My apologies for posting unpainted models, but I don't know when I'll get time to actually paint these girls.

They're made from Seraphim bodies; IG arms and legs and lasgun and autocannon and flamer and cloak and space marine hands.  "Brimstone" (the autocannon part) has an Empire crossbowmans arm.

These were heavily inspired by a comic picture of a sister with a "Cherub" pattern sniper flamethrower and is by no means meant to be taken seriously but for laughs.

That said; I plan to field The Twins together (always 2 in a list) using the Vindicare Assassin rules.

My headcannon has them as the best shots in the Order and demonstrating such faith and discipline they are granted these ancient blessed weapons.

The special rules of the Vindicare assassin are easily fluffed over.

Deadshot (or whatever its called) is Divine Guidance as the emperor guides their aim.

The lightening reflexes 4++ is just Rosarius' they have been granted.

So on and so forth for all the rules, just with a Sisters spin put on them.

Hope to get them painted up soon.

• 3 months later...

I've been inspired recently.  I don't have a Dialogus and I thought of making one up.  One thing has lead to enother leading to the following...

22281617_1568082139901992_57002143609973

I'm going to get a couple of the cherub loud speakers and put them on the sides.  There's a canoness arm holding the book I shall attach to the sister.  Basic jist being she's blaring out whathaveyou inspiring the girls on.

Why like this?  Because I think it looks cool :)

I got the dreadnought from the local GW manager who gifted me one of his own.  Took a bit of toying with a stanley knife and a cigarette lighter to get the parts detached.

I've managed to file down the lower part of the immolator turret so its not as high as it is in this picture.

Then I couldn't stop with that idea...

22279540_1568081973235342_40600450257236

22228433_1568082043235335_65066983988129

Still some work to do but looking very promising so far.  I plan to make a couple of these and use them to represent 2 models each in a Retributor squad.  Just take a weapon off when a wound takes out a heavy weapon.

Throne of Retribution....i like the sounds of that :)

Im super excited for this project. I am now fully convinced this is the only reason id field a unit of retributors. I want to do up a full min squad of these for that purpose. Itd just look so cool.

Le sigh, if only it was a real thing.

"Up to 4 Retributors may be upgraded with a Throne of Retribution for..." and just charge immolator turret prices and each throne has twin of those...ahhh i can dream of faith shooting 16 multimelta shots from a single squad.

• 1 month later...

Sororitas Knight Artoria has recently got some work done on it.

23622487_1607142242662648_90143544389661

Managed to rip out the head and replace it with a Penitent engine pilot.

The banners came out better than I thought they would.  Found them on a sprue I think is from a space marine command box.  Story here is they represent the two founding orders of the Penitent Spirit-  Bloody Rose and Ebon Chalice.

23519165_1607142292662643_51898152778765

Organ cannon!  This took some doing but I love it.  I'm not really happy with the pulpit, but I'm going to replace it if I ever get my hands on some good looking gothic barriers.

23658431_1607142339329305_15212928210289

23561765_1607142405995965_34361098348241

Edited by Atrus

Yes she is.  Hence the Blue and white colours and dragon transfer for the house Pendragon banner you see.  I thought the Knight Errant variant to be fitting on account of the big chainsword and the fortress busting thermal cannon.

I had to take the armour part that has the scrolled name off in order to get the Pengine pilot in.  I'm not sure where to put that part now.  I really want to keep it as I like the scroll work and the name.

Edited by Atrus

• 1 month later...

Ordered the Archpapess from Raging Heroes.  Such a lovely model.  This is the final result for Abbess Ursula Jacoby.  

26731304_1677366015640270_78007107322255

All thats left to do is her staff.  Intend to play it as "The Rod of Sanctity", something to represent the inferno pistol, power maul, and +1Ld warlord trait, to make what I think is a cool Jacobus replacement.

26238779_1677366052306933_66627457301903

The Raging Heroes model may work better as an allied Inquisitor, Astra Militarum Lady General or Commissar, or Rogue Trader. An Adepta Sororitas Abbess should be in power armor, and the Raging Heroes model is obviously not in power armor.

I must commend your painting skills, though. The red robes, gold jewelry, and gem-studded backpack look great.

Well a sororitas abbess is probably the wrong title. Was trying to think of a name of female priest but was coming up blank.

But yes, she would work great as an inquisitor. I would totally do this if inquisitors weren't so overwhelmingly meh at the moment.

Current working on Karamazov

• 2 weeks later...

Living Saint Gisela...

27066750_1695874360456102_43626709099756

27072880_1695874400456098_48402570239099

Inspired by Gisela from Magic the Gathering.

My free hand...sucks.  Just could not get the brush to behave as I wanted it too for the gold border on the white and the attempted flur di lis.

Also, white sucks.  This is the first time I've tried doing a white cloak and trying to do shading.  Dang that is hard.

I wanted to make the wings look like they were on fire...but I couldn't figure out how to do it so just went with this.

It never occured to me to paint them as if in power armour. I took one look at the arms and just saw bracers and bare hands. I quite like the look actually.

• 1 month later...

Now we come to the project that has derailed me for a little while.  It began after I finished the new Celestine model leaving me now with 2 models; only one of which I can use in my army at any time.  This has left me disappointed as I like the models.  So, I embarked on my debatably heretical idea/project.

Saints and angelic manifestations.  A topic that invokes either curiosity, or some heavy flamer use.

It's a big galaxy out there and there have been many martyrs.  Celestine isn't the only saint; shes just the only one that gets any spot light.

The model and fluff you're about to see, you can't hate.  This is a very emotional piece for me as it was bought and named in memory of the child my wife and I recently lost in miscarriage.  The past month has been...pretty not great.

Anywho:

29216290_1744834475560090_42611196928856

Saint Mikayla- The Celestial Herald
Rules template: Herald of Slaanesh on Steed.

Saint Mikayla's life is that of the torch that burned twice as bright but half as long.
Appointed to the position of dialogus, she became known for an unflinching faith and conviction. Her knowledge of the scriptures unparalleled even by sororitas standards. Discipleship was a gift that came naturally to her and she was often found ministering to and rousing the populace alongside the priests with their sermons.

She was martyred after traitor forces managed to capture her and a handful of priests while on mission in the enemy held city of Barrabis.
The secretive chaos leader known as "Darkness", a heavily damaged dreadnought of the Word Bearers traitor astartes, sought to corrupt the faith of the sororitas. For 3 days she stood before the arch enemy, rebuking and rebutting every word, false revelation and lie the enemy confronted her with.
At the end of the third day, she was ejected from "Darkness'" presence; enraged at the womans incorruptibility, she was sentenced to public execution as demonstration to those who would seek the emperors light.

The demonstration to deter the populace from the old faith in the emperor instead became the marshalling call. Weeks of inspiring oration from Mikayla and the priests, growing resentment of the chaos overlords; no sooner had the life left Mikayla's breath, the populace rose up. In a single bloody day, the city of Barrabas fell out of the hands of chaos, back into the imperiums fold.
Words and faith accomplishing what armies could not.

Since that time, there have been many sightings of an angelic being bearing the appearance of sister Mikayla. Often appearing in battle, declaring with her old fervour the might of the emperor and the doom of those that oppose him.

-----------

So yeah, home brew saints.  I've a handful of angelic models now that I use as saints and angelic manifestations- those will come as they are finished painting.  I intend to use Slaanesh Daemon rules to represent the models (until such a time that GW decides to make imperial daemon equivalent :P )  I settled on slaanesh as I wanted something somewhat in line with Celestines stats and I didn't feel khorne or nurgle reflected it quite right and tzeench has too much magic.  Which left slaanesh, which I think is good as it seems slaanesh rules are in an okay place, but not OP, so the cheese calls I hope will be minimal.

This is no good for tournament matched play of course; but it's perfectly legal battle forged army as long as everything is in seperate detachments from the sisters, its good for casual play (with a cool opponent.)

I intend to use the old Celestine model as Saint Helena (Celestine) as I always have.  The new Celestine model (Saint Gisela- bringer of truth) I'm going to put on a larger base and use Keeper of Secrets rules for her.  On the larger base she'll take up approximately the same footprint and size of the KoS model- at least enough for a cool opponent in casual.

So thats the current project.  I hope to finish it very soon and get back to my sisters.  I was about half way through a Seraphim squad when I got derailed.  I'm excited for them as I've sligthly changed the paint scheme in that I am painting the 'corset' bit, shades of red- which is really breaking things up nicely.  The models are no longer purple blobs now and I think them even more interesting to look at now.