Order of the Penitent Spirit (WIP)

Atrus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

No real additions for a long time. Life stuff. Done a few more seraphim so almost have 2 min squads of them fully painted now.

Tried to do a game yesterday. Only got through my opponents first turn and halfway through my first turn shooting before he got called away for work.

Didnt get to finish the game but i managed to salvage a brief fluff writeup to cover what happened.

Acidic rain matted her hair, the corrosive waters cutting rivers of blisters down her face and neck. The deep, proud royal purple paint of her armour long since burned away to show the dull grey of the ceremite powered armour she wore.

Her eyes watered bitterly at the noxious fumes caused by the rain. Not for the first time, she wished for her Sabbat pattern helm with its filtration systems and preysight, that she might see through the chemical warped sights ahead of her and breathe air that didn’t kill her a little more with each breath- but the wargear was nowhere to be found.

Above, a foreign sky boiled with sickening hues of reds and purples. Prioress Clarice cursed the emperor forsaken sight.

Around her, her sisters died. Battle raged; she heavy clatter of bolt fire and the concussive thud of explosions broken occasionally by the momentary heat flash of plasma fire evaporating a trail through the deluge.

Through it all, a sharp almost painful crack of an enemy returning fire. Her enemy, nothing more than formless shapes, difficult to pick out between the acid rain and fumes, but their weapons flash told of their closing positions.

A noise like wet thunder and a brief break in the rain as a shadow passed over her. An imperial knight lumbering forward, sending streams of melta fire upon the enemy. The rain fell again and she ran forward to her sisters sheltering in a crater.

Harsh growling, a large shadow appears. It spits fire, heat washes over her and her sisters die. A roar from the knight and a blue-white melta stream spears into the side of the shadow. The heat burns away the rain to show an imperial tank firing into her sisters.

With righteous anger, she holds the trigger of her plasma pistol, letting the charge build to dangerous levels before releasing the small sun into the front of the treacherous foe.

Her sisters close on the tank, pouring bolt and melta fire into its hull. A shot strikes true and the tank violently explodes. Her sisters die as flame and debris fill her vision, the last sight that of a blood red tear drop emblem.

Her eyes snap open. Prioress Clarice stared at the dark blank ceiling of her quarters. Her sheet is wet with sweat and rain patters against the stained glass window on the far wall.

The cold stone of the floor, did much to wake her as she made her way to the sink and splashed water on her face.

Every night for weeks now. The same dream. A strange world. Blood and fire and death. An enemy she cannot see, the only clue to it, that blood red tear drop.

I basically use this as a prequel to the game we'll eventually get to redo one day.

Also, i thonk ive become an advocate for alternating activations as a result of this game as i was getting thoroughly stomped. A third my army was dead or useless by my first turn.

Also, i think ive become an advocate for alternating activations as a result of this game as i was getting thoroughly stomped. A third my army was dead or useless by my first turn.

Like the fluff bit. Always enjoy a bit of stage setting for games even if nobody else does. Slam captains get you? As much as I hate screen tactics they work, they just look and feel ridiculous. Slam happy gets to charge some dismounted BSS and then gets shot off the table.

I love the idea of alternating activations either like Kill Team or Necromunda for 40k games. We have played a couple games using each and it balances out the alpha strike IGOUGO meta we are in. I especially like limiting units to two actions. Units not having the ability to move, shoot and assault is a nice change. The Kill Team "ready" mechanic for not moving allowing those units to shoot first is a great way to change up the way Overwatch used to turn games of 2ed into Sitzkrieg where nobody did anything and the first unit that did died horribly, on and on.

I hope that AA makes it in to 40k someday.

No slam captains. Opponent is a friend who plays casual and not very often. He was running few squads of intecessors, squad of the plasma primaris, squad of dakka aggressors, a repulsive, primaris dread, dreadnaught libby and a couple characters and some termies.

Wouldve been an interesting game to see through. Think it was mostly good rolls on his side and bad rolls on mine.

I enjoy a nice bit of fluff too, though its been a while since i fluffed, am a bit out of practice. Glad yo u enjoyed it.

• 2 months later...

Just updating thread as its been a while.

Ive been very busy with life lately. 2018 has been a year that can go die in a fire for all i care, but it has had its moments. Recently, the wifes immigration was finally approved after 5 years of rollercoaster ride. Big weight off our shoulders there.

Ive had a big painting binge recently and in the past 2-3 weeks have managed to finish painting:

My exorcist that has been base coated fir 10 years.

All my heavy weapons sisters

All my storm bolter sisters

All my veteran superior sisters

All my immolators

3 (4, one already painted) of the 5 witch hunter inquisitors that make up the inquisitorial enclave of my fluff planet which i cant think of the name of right now.

Ive painted myself out fir now but im glad its done as this progress finally allows me to field army lists 100% painted and by crikey does it look and feel good.

Id love to post pictures, alas my laptop gave up the ghost a few weeks ago, so i have to wait till the warranty comes through because i have no idea how to post pictures here from my phone and i keep all my pics on facebook which wont copy pic addresses.

Needless to say, when tech is up and running, there shall be quite the photo dump.

That is good news! I have a coworker who is in a similar boat, waiting to be reunited with her husband... :(

I’m looking forward to seeing your pictures! I have some sisters (and a third penitent engine...) waiting for paint love, but I’ve been distracted by my husband’s new pointy-eared xenos horde. He is seriously thinking of going Sisters for next year’s ITC, though (he is a well-ranked guard player this year) which means I will be flat out of painting excuses...!

• 1 month later...

Well today we finally got a new (2nd hand) laptop, so wifey is back to writing and I'm up and running for a nice big photo dump!

I shall make use of the spoiler button to save on massive post size.

First up is the Exorcist that took 10 years to finally getting around to paint.

44025503_2032578473452354_75190338931612

44025034_2032578406785694_76107410227079

44086320_2032578336785701_64634711796665

43878854_2032578186785716_44335754512391

43951271_2032578090119059_14834053137500

Next up, is Inquisitor Mykel Dorn.  Inquisitor Lord of the Ordos Hereticus Conclave on planet.  He bears his symbol of office: the Hexenhammer and his ever faithful (and cranky) companion.  He usually likes to ride atop Penitent Knight Artoria, glowering with righteous indignation at all before him.

45040030_2051432921566909_19586894183824

44932512_2051432971566904_38478352331141

Next we have a younger Helena Katran.  This is her from when she was a Palatyne.  Some interesting wibbly wobbly things happen around the place and ever since the Cicatrix split the galaxy, these anomalous events have been happening more frequently.  Something the Inquisitor Erome Irun is both intrigued and disturbed by.

49043001_2144815378895329_42926463643927

48896853_2144815445561989_90939245142820

Finally we have the forces of the With Hunter Conclave.  The army I took to tourney a month or two ago.  My first ever 2k pt (pre beta) army 100% painted.

45089317_2052941204749414_80438398941344

45003858_2052941248082743_16490844459924

45006071_2052941328082735_76743711607666

44977624_2052941388082729_90123942496137

Phew, that was a lot of code.  Hope everyone enjoys.  Hopefully the pics work.  For some reason the pics on previous pages have dissapeared and I can't be bothered fixing.

Thanks! Im quite fond of the eviscerator too. I was playing Skyrim one night and saw a double hilted greatsword and thought to myself "that looks cool. I wonder if i can do something like that". Immediately went to my bitz box and found two cannoness 'eviscerator' bits and got to work.

A complete bugger to put together. I do look forward to plastics ther. But a satisfactory end result.

• 1 month later...

Posting here cuz i wanna show them off. Not sisters but something im still pleased with.

Last year i made a vragging rights medal for a tournament. It was so well received by the TO that they commissioned me on the spot to make more for all their future 40k tournaments.

Basic idea is that these are awarded to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners of each tournament. At the next event, previous winners are encouraged to wear these "medals" as bragging rights; and for opponents to feel chuffed if they manage to beat them in a game.

Anyways heres my latest batch.

http://imgur.com/gallery/n9MVYqa

• 4 months later...

Well I was worried that I'd miss out on the Battle Sister from warhammer day, however, my GW store manager (fellow sister player) kept one aside for me till I got back from deployment.

Taken me a while, but she's finally done!

http://imgur.com/gallery/l3hJjaW

I found the GW painted model of her to be rather plain, so I decided to colourise the corset and gold plate the detailing on the legs and trim around the pouldron.

Aside from that, being an iconic artwork, I wanted to try to stay true to the inspiration.

On the table she will be part of a Celestian squad. My thoughts for within the order itself is more as a traditional/memorial. General idea being that there was a Celestian of OoOML amongst the ranks of the crusade the order originated from and the sister died so the order kept her armour and passed it on to a certain Celestian to carry the memory of that sister till the armour could be returned to OoOML. After a thousand years (timely wimey warp storm shenanigans I don't think I've gone into yet) it's become more of a tradition in the order (kinda like how a Pioneer Sergeant in the army has to have a beard and has a ceremonial axe).

Thanks guys, though I see a hell of a lot better every time I jump on the net. Need to find a place that had terribly paint jobs to feel better, lol.

Our local manager is indeed a legend.

• 6 months later...

Wow, been a long time since I've touched this. Well here's a little things that's developed on the aesthetic look of the Order and it's sisters. Some may like, some may not, some may be triggered, some may laugh; but these are my girls :)

It's been my effort when I do write fluff stuff about my order, to have the content be something that can either be embraced as it is or viewed as something to fuel conflict with other factions- especially imperial factions because let's face it, having another imperial vs imperial "battle simulation" gets dull...

Visual appearance of the Order of the Penitent Spirit and it's historical and theological influences and significance.

The Armour of the Order of the Penitent Spirit is a deep dark purple that symbolises the perpetual starless midnight that the planet Avlon endured in its two thousand years cut off from the imperium in the warp. The Armour is often trimmed or gilded with gold, making each suit a shrine offering the emperor's protection to the wearer and his wrath to the enemy as the empowered sisters glorify the God emperor in holy battle.

The fire retardent robes worn are two toned and pay homage to the Orders origins.

The outer layer is black, signifying The Ebon Chalice.

The inner layer is a dark red, signifying The Bloody Rose.

Like any imperial world, there is a mass of different colours of skin and hair and eye colour in the population. However it is known the the dominant genetic gene present makes pale skin and red hair the most common appearance on the planet and as result, within the Order itself.

The appearance of the women and in particular the aesthetic beliefs of the women of the order has given some outside the influence of Avlon some manner of debate.

While it is said by some that many young women of righteous character are chosen for the Sororitas especially if they are conventionally beautiful; it would seem that the sisters of the Penitent Spirit are an embodiment of that practice.

While there are degrees of what is considered beautiful to the viewers eye that is subjective, what is unique to these sisters is the lack of and even abhoration of battle scarring.

Wounds are unavoidably suffered on the battlefield, but where others may allow these wounds to scar and possibly be considered badges of honour; the Penitent Spirit see such things as sin.

There is a passage in imperial scripture that reads:

We bear the emperor's light. Our bodies are temples of his light that is in us.

They believe it is hypocritical at best and heretical at worst that many would be willing to repair a broken window or blast damaged wall of a shrine to the emperor or one of his churches- mere imperfect buildings that are made by weak human hands; but would not do all they could to repair a human body that had been crafted before birth by the emperor's perfect hands and which bears his light.

Due to this belief, sisters of the Penitent Spirit will often undergo advanced reconstructive surgery post battle to restore their appearances. If a limb is to be replaced, it is replaced with a heavily ornamented bionic. The Hospitaller and mechanicus that perform these surgeries are highly sought after in the noble houses.

As such, it is extremely rare to find a sister within the Order that bears any more than the faintest of a surgical scar. What women that can be found with scars are ones that have suffered wounds so grievous that no surgery can restore.

These women often choose to leave their sisters and join the ranks of the Repentia- so shamed that their light bearing vessel is so damaged, they will prefer to seek death in battle that they may be in the emperor's perfect presence and made anew.

• 6 months later...

Been sick so got some painting time.

XnTdaDN.jpg

New command immolator.

D4suaUz.jpg

No filthy xenos in my army.

Finished Inquisitor Fabio, OH; the Ordos most beautiful man.

Taken into an inquisitors retinue in his youth as a DCA, he showed aptitude beyond his killing talents. Trained as interrogator and eventually an inquisitor in his own right, he never gave up the tools of his old trade- the twin blades of the DCAs.

His current investigations have him looking into a sisters whose words are said to call down the emperor's very wrath down upon the foe.

She is currently locked away till interrogation reveals her true colours (finish painting her); firsthand observation afterwards will be necessary to ascertain whether she is a living saint as some whisper her to be.

Well I did say in his fluff he was former Death Cult Assassin and his blades are the ones he had from then.

Though thinking.about it now, would be fun to run him and stern alongside a heap of DCAs to show his lingering ties to them.