GW redoing Fantasy Flight's stuff

Urriak Urruk

So you may not have heard, but GW is deciding to redo a game called Talisman, which was one of their small brands that they licensed to other companies to make, most recently Fantasy Flight Games.

Now, that made me think about how much GW seems to be taking on is stuff they used to have companies like Fantasy Flight do. I mean, FF had the Horus Heresy boardgame and now that is a hugely successful branch of Warhammer via Calth/Prospero and Forgeworld.

And now that FF and GW are no longer doing business together, I thought it logical (if not likely) that GW is trying to redo everything it had FF do, but in its own way.

Roleplaying Deathwatch for instance became both Death Masque and Overkill.

So I can totally visualize GW attempting to redo Relic (which was FF doing Talisman in 40k), allowing you to take specific GW models and level them up in a boardgame. (Imagine AoS Silver Tower but in 40k universe)

And the other roleplaying games (Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Black Crusade, Only War) could also return as board games as well.

GW seems to be thinking that the more they branch and experiment, the more business possibilities open up for them. Recent examples include Blood Bowl and soon Adeptus Titanicus.

So what do you think? Am I on to something or am I crazy? Is there any specific FF game you want GW to redo themselves?

Relic_ffg.jpg

Were there any other 40K specific games that FF produced that haven't already been named?

I don't think we can say that a role-playing line became two board games, those are completely different products. One may have inspired the other, but that's not really the same thing.

I'd be down for a Hero/Warhammer Quest style 40K game, but it would be better with an Inquisitor star, IMO. I'd also really like to see them provide more than flat card props for the game, ship consoles, pilots' chairs, obelisks, etc., done either in plastic or in foldable card with plastic holders/components. Those were actually some of my favorite parts of the old HeroQuest style games.

GW seems to be thinking that the more they branch and experiment, the more business possibilities open up for them.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment, if they branch out, new business possibilities do open up for them. Whether they are successful or not, that's a different story...

Also I think they are outright competing with FF with Gangs of Commorragh, a very X-Wing meets 40k miniatures style of game.

What ever they do I hope the will have 40k scale miniatues even for games like Relic and Talisman.

Oh I completely agree, I'm sure anything GW releases (other than books) will have at least four miniatures to differentiate them from FF and others.

GW's moving in this direction, their new AoS board game "Hammerhal" actually requires a dungeon master, I think it is just a question of whether GW is willing to use 40k for this same game-style. Pop in a few models for Inquisitors or Rogue Traders and people would love it.

After the Warhammer community post saying GW were already redoing Talisman, I'm expecting to see that also being put under the AoS hammer, the way WHQ was.

As to the 40K games like Relic, either we'll see something about it before the end of the year, or we'll have a new edition and imagining of 40K, then see some off-shoots.

It would be great to be able to get excited over what GW is getting up to, unfortunately, previous experience has kind of jaded me and left me feeling sour whenever GW are planning something big.

However, time will tell on all things, and GW aren't the best at actually communicating with the community, but the "Yes, Games Workshop ARE redoing Talisman, we just don't know when or how yet." is better than we've had before in actual communication.

I would say the differences there is Talisman was owned wholly by GW and FFG was paying for the license specifically. Relic, on the other hand, is a unique product that was made using the 40k license, but ownership of which would be shared between the two. The evidence of this is the release of the video game Talisman: Horus Heresy. They would not have been able to call the game Relic without permission from FFG.

Forbidden Stars is in a similar boat, except that GW doesn't have a nearly identical game to fall back on, like they do with Talisman. So don't ever expect Forbidden Stars to get remade ever again.

I'd be down for a Hero/Warhammer Quest style 40K game, but it would be better with an Inquisitor star, IMO.

What if they brought back Space Crusade!

Do agree that 'Inquisitor Quest' would be a good spin.

Space Crusade would be very cool too. Except it would make sense to switch out a squad of Blood Angels for Salamanders, as they are more generic (rules-wise, not fluff).

I'd be down for a Hero/Warhammer Quest style 40K game, but it would be better with an Inquisitor star, IMO.

What if they brought back Space Crusade!

Do agree that 'Inquisitor Quest' would be a good spin.

Space Crusade would be very cool too. Except it would make sense to switch out a squad of Blood Angels for Salamanders, as they are more generic (rules-wise, not fluff).

The rules for Space Hulk are generic, even though they feature Blood Angels.

So for know it's just Talisman getting remade?

Too bad they can't take over the older Horus Heresy Board Game using the new Epic Minis. Would be great to have an Axis and Allies style 30k game!

Also a bit OT. but didn't another company jump on the expired Space Crusade trademark and release a game/kick-starter just recently?

( just googled it and saw the models facepalm.png )

Too bad they can't take over the older Horus Heresy Board Game using the new Epic Minis. Would be great to have an Axis and Allies style 30k game!

Also a bit OT. but didn't another company jump on the expired Space Crusade trademark and release a game/kick-starter just recently?

Yeah it's just Talisman confirmed so far.

I suppose by Epic you mean the upcoming Adeptus Titanicus? I dunno if their making anything beyond Titans for that.

And after some quick searching I've found that Probos has indeed jumped on Space Crusade. It's looks like a box of Space Marines vs. Daemons... except everything is female. Even the Great Unclean One.

I was given FF´s "Forbidden Stars" as a birthday gift...and it is a crying shame that FF will now never be releasing an expansion for it. Still, it is supposedly an amazing game out of the box!

As for an update of the olden games...perhaps I would rather see a box expansion for Space Hulk 3rd ed. which would allow you to field Genestealer Cult, Chaos Space Marines and Space Orks! Now that would be wicked...

Yeah it's just Talisman confirmed so far.

I suppose by Epic you mean the upcoming Adeptus Titanicus? I dunno if their making anything beyond Titans for that.

And after some quick searching I've found that Probos has indeed jumped on Space Crusade. It's looks like a box of Space Marines vs. Daemons... except everything is female. Even the Great Unclean One.

Oh sweet Mommy Nurgle WHY?

I'm not sure how much we will see. FFG released a game called Horus Heresy, itself a new version with completely different mechanics (no dice for a start) of an old GW boxed game of the same name. I have played both and own the FFG version which had models rather than counters. Whilst I think there might be appetite for that game to return, I'm not sure GW would do so as, unless they were going to replicate existing mechanic,) it might take too much resource for something that might not sell without a number of 28mm or Epic scale models included to sweeten the deal.

I think Relic is perhaps a bit of an experiment to see if a game without some 28mm scale models included will sell well. Talisman is a tried and tested brand and 40k is there most popular IP, so I can see it being  good game to gauge appetite for further releases.

Similarly, I can imagine them releasing a new RPG themselves and encouraging players to use miniatures (as many gamers already do) to represent their characters and opponents. Again, they might do that to gauge further interest. If they do, I wonder if they would take the opportunity to streamline the rules a bit in line with a number of RPGs such as the Black Hack, to minimise maths and dice rolling.

I'm not sure how much we will see. FFG released a game called Horus Heresy, itself a new version with completely different mechanics (no dice for a start) of an old GW boxed game of the same name. I have played both and own the FFG version which had models rather than counters. Whilst I think there might be appetite for that game to return, I'm not sure GW would do so as, unless they were going to replicate existing mechanic,) it might take too much resource for something that might not sell without a number of 28mm or Epic scale models included to sweeten the deal.

I think Relic is perhaps a bit of an experiment to see if a game without some 28mm scale models included will sell well. Talisman is a tried and tested brand and 40k is there most popular IP, so I can see it being  good game to gauge appetite for further releases.

Similarly, I can imagine them releasing a new RPG themselves and encouraging players to use miniatures (as many gamers already do) to represent their characters and opponents. Again, they might do that to gauge further interest. If they do, I wonder if they would take the opportunity to streamline the rules a bit in line with a number of RPGs such as the Black Hack, to minimise maths and dice rolling.

Yeah its true a lot of the FFG games can't really be translated into a GW-friendly format, as GW wants to sell a game only if they can throw miniatures with it.

That makes Relic a big contender for return if they do. And GW did tease a new board-game to be released at Adepticon, but it may be Gorkamorka or Necromunda.

Yeah its true a lot of the FFG games can't really be translated into a GW-friendly format, as GW wants to sell a game only if they can throw miniatures with it.

That makes Relic a big contender for return if they do. And GW did tease a new board-game to be released at Adepticon, but it may be Gorkamorka or Necromunda.

Gorkamorka and Necromunda are Tabletop games as much as 40K is.

Though GW have released token-based games, and those can be extremely popular and would allow GW to branch slightly into token-based games, that can be expanded via boosters based on factions/armies etc.

Though GW have released token-based games, and those can be extremely popular and would allow GW to branch slightly into token-based games, that can be expanded via boosters based on factions/armies etc.

They have indeed, although I believe that it hasn't been in the last couple of years?

That said, the boardgame renaissance that is widely acknowledged does give them an opportunity, but there's a lot of competition and it would have to be an excellent game to reach beyond the existing player base (if that's the objective). That said, I hope they do release some. FFG released some very good games. The aforementioned Horus Heresy and Chaos in the Old World being but two.

FFG didn't have the license for games using Citadel Miniatures. Hence them releasing the Space Hulk: Death Angel & Warhammer Quest card games whilst Games Workshop released actual proper Space Hulk and Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower.

I doubt Hasbro (who now own MB) would have been able to do anything, the only thing they'd have had claim to was the trademark and that would have lapsed (copyright is eternal, trademarks are fleeting) along with Heroquest before FFG acquired the license. 

Archived