Russ vs. Magnus (SPOILER Last Son of Prospero)

b1soul

One of the theories:

Magnus shattered and his shards were scattered across the galaxy. All are linked to the warp or are mostly within it. As the warp is timeless, it CAN be that the Legions tutelaries are in fact shards of the future, shattered Magnus.

Though they were once indicated to be demons, it could be secretly retconned these days.

Maybe I'm wrong. But as far as I've understood it, the being at the end of The Last Son of Prospero is an amalgation of Arvida and his tutelary (which is either be a demon or a shard) and (depending on what hos tutelary is) a shard of Magnus.

Most likely I see ghosts but I like that possible origin of the GK.

So Magnus was shattered into aspects when he warned the Emp

That means Russ fought an aspect of Magnus and further shattered that aspect into smaller splinters.

Am I getting this right?

As explained in Magnus and Crimson King and Inferno - he was truly shattered into shards then Russ broke his back.

As for the 'Last son of Prospero' - Magnus Echo (formed during his ritual and warp breach) simply wait for the one to set it free or make usage to it

So Magnus was shattered into aspects when he warned the Emp

That means Russ fought an aspect of Magnus and further shattered that aspect into smaller splinters.

Am I getting this right?

Sort of. It's not made entirely clear whether Magnus was entirely shattered during the attempted warning, as the exact wording of the passage is:

‘One of many. The Crimson King has been broken, shattered like a mirror thrown in anger. It began when he breached the wards on Terra, and it was ended by the Wolf’s wrath. No, Jaghatai, he is not dead. He has become legion.’

I personally read nothing about size of shards/splinters, rather that he hadn't been fully 'shattered' apart until Russ wrecked his spine on Prospero. The way I look at it parts of him started to break off when he Kool-Aid-Man'd his way through the Webway Wards and the rest was splintered on Prospero. This seems to be supported by a further statement made by the Terran shard itself:

‘We are on Terra,’ said the giant, lifting his chin. ‘That is where I came, to warn my Father. The rest of me went back, but I remained.’

Actually, judging by this language (thanks Apothecary) . . .

‘One of many. The Crimson King has been broken, shattered like a mirror thrown in anger. It began when he breached the wards on Terra, and it was ended by the Wolf’s wrath. No, Jaghatai, he is not dead. He has become legion.’

. . . it's all rather unclear

It seems he left a piece of himself at the Palace when he warned the Emp...or did Arvida's shard simply follow him to the Palace?

Did Magnus "crack" and then shatter or did he shatter once and then again?

I think Magnus finally shattered when he cast his teleportation spell, no?

You mean this?

‘We are on Terra,’ said the giant, lifting his chin. ‘That is where I came, to warn my Father. The rest of me went back, but I remained.’

Ah, yes...

So Magnus left behind a piece of himself when he warned his father.

Rest of him went back to Prospero, fought Russ, back broken, cast the spell

Result: A whole bunch of magnus fragments

I feel Warp shenanigans can be addressed much as old Joe does time travel in Looper. "It's a precise description of a fuzzy mechanism. It's messy."

But yeah, the suggestion I take is also that Magnus put his soul under some strain by breaching the wards of the Dungeon, and the general cataclysm of the duel and his pact with Tzeentch shattered his soul.

Yes the shard ...

merges with and cures the flesh change in the thousand son

Presumably the rest of Magnus is just back in one place until the whole burning of the Fenrisian system where he leaves parts all over the place as "clues"

Multiple personality syndrome Warp edition

Depends on when exactly he ascended. The shards thing isn't anything new, we've known he was shattered as far back as Battle of the Fang, where the Great Wolf guy "kills" the supposedly last errant fragment needed to let Magnus be somewhat whole again.

By the Battle he was mighty, but didn't showcase wings and stuff yet. But then he was also able to shape himself in some ways, so we can't really say anything for certain until it is spelled out that he ascended to daemonhood, rather than being an amalgam of half-psychic shards.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the shard ...

merges with and cures the flesh change in the thousand son

Presumably the rest of Magnus is just back in one place until the whole burning of the Fenrisian system where he leaves parts all over the place as "clues"

Multiple personality syndrome Warp edition

Wow lol. But from any point of view that's exactly what happened.

So is all of Magnus a Daemon Prince of Tzeentch, or just some of his shards, or none of them?

In Warzone Fenris - late W40K Magnus is a full Daemon Prince.  So it's all of them under 1 hood.

Depends on when exactly he ascended. The shards thing isn't anything new, we've known he was shattered as far back as Battle of the Fang, where the Great Wolf guy "kills" the supposedly last errant fragment needed to let Magnus be somewhat whole again.

By the Battle he was mighty, but didn't showcase wings and stuff yet. But then he was also able to shape himself in some ways, so we can't really say anything for certain until it is spelled out that he ascended to daemonhood, rather than being an amalgam of half-psychic shards.

And old man figurehead was exactly the shard figure. Then he was killed - Magnus was able to coalescent into a major form on Fenris

Archived