Iron Hands 2000pts

Jarkaira

Tried to build a list I would like to play and would like to have someone check if there are some errors and give some thoughts about it. Keyword in this is ancient weaponry which is illustrated in form of Volkite and Phosphex.

Praevian: Warp Shunt Field; artificer armour; combi-weapon (flamer); melta bombs; boarding shield

• 2 Castellax Class Battle-automata: 2× Darkfire cannon; 4× flamer; 2× battle-automata power blades; enhanced targeting array

Siege Breaker: artificer armour; combi-weapon (plasma); melta bombs; boarding shield

9 Tactical Space Marines: legion vexilla; + 1 Tactical Sergeant (artificer armour; power fist)

• Rhino: dozer blade; pintle-mounted multi-melta

9 Tactical Space Marines: legion vexilla; + 1 Tactical Sergeant (artificer armour; power fist)

• Rhino: dozer blade; pintle-mounted heavy flamer

3 Quad Launcher Rapier Carriers: quad launcher (shatter shells; phosphex canister shot)

Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought Talon

• Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought: grav-flux bombard; 2× torso-mounted twin-linked volkite caliver; armoured ceramite; phosphex discharger

• Dreadnought Drop Pod

4 Heavy Support Marines: volkite culverins; + 1 Heavy Support Sergeant (artificer armour)

Wall of Martyrs Imperial Bunker: Ammo Store

Bunker with Volkite HSS and Siege Breaker is placed in an objective in my deployment zone and Praevian goes next to it while Leviathan drops directly in the arms of enemy which means they have to deal with it and leave my Darkfire cannons and Volkite a change to reap havoc while thudd guns rain death upon enemys power armoured marines after blowing up their light transports. Tacticals grab objectives when safe.

They are all also immune to bolter fire unless disembarked.

Would this work?

It certainly should be fluffy as Iron Hands would use that kind of units and apply their logic into warfare.

I have a few suggestions to help your list (in my opinion!)

- The praevian isn't adding a lot to your list, except unlocking the castellax, so if you plan to keep the castellax in your deployment zone, which is a good idea when you're taking dark fire cannons, I would drop some of the upgrades as they're superfluous. You could drop power blades from the castellax and melta bombs and combi-flamer from the praevian, i'd also switch the shield for a refractor field.

- I would also split the 3 quad mortars into separate units so they can target different things, also if you shoot the first quad mortar at a unit, but don't quite kill it, you can use the next to finish it off and the 3rd mortar is free to target something else.

- again, I'd drop the combi from the siege breaker, he's unlikely to use it and with all the points saved, you probably have enough for an apothecary to join the heavy support squad, or some upgrades for other units etc.

Generally the list looks decent though :)

After those tweaks the list would look like this:

Praevian: Warp Shunt Field; artificer armour; combi-weapon (flamer)

• 2 Castellax Class Battle-automata: 2× Darkfire cannon; 4× flamer; enhanced targeting array

Siege Breaker: artificer armour; refractor field

Apothecarion Detachment

• Apothecary

1 Quad Launcher Rapier Carrier: quad launcher (shatter shells; phosphex canister shot)

1 Quad Launcher Rapier Carrier: quad launcher (shatter shells; phosphex canister shot)

4 Heavy Support Marines: volkite culverins; + 1 Heavy Support Sergeant (artificer armour)

Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought Talon

• Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought: grav-flux bombard; 2× torso-mounted twin-linked volkite caliver; armoured ceramite; phosphex discharger

• Dreadnought Drop Pod

Wall of Martyrs Imperial Bunker: Ammo Store

I still prefer to have combi-flamer on Praevian as he gives automatical to hit bonus to castellaxes when charged as the flamer hits D3 times.

What is the take on negating bolter fire? As Thousands Sons emerge to battlefields it would be nice to not give them shred bonus.

I know this is pretty compact list when it comes to number of bodies and have thought about adding more infantry and droppping the Leviathan but it would also mean losing the psychological edge of Leviathan reaping havoc on enemys deployment zone at the start of a game.

Is this going to be an army list for a campaign? Since the Warp Shunt Field is one of the Book 4 Relics which requires permission to be used outside of campaign/narrative/bestest (tongue.png) games.

It does look like a fun list but chuff me I didn't realise the bunker looked so small and puny!

Yeah we are having a narrative campaign and the Praevian is my character (yeah I know it is a little meh compared to melee Praetors people are using but it definately is different atleast). Also we are quite cool about using Relics on games and as I have to arrange each game beforehand I can just ask if my opponent agrees to use Relics.

I tried a smaller version without Thudd Guns and Siege Breaker (as we had agreed that character loses Support Officer) and it worked wonderfully even though my opponent had 250pts more of his Iron Warriors on board. The resiliency of Praevian and Castellaxes with IH rules is just awesome.

The bunker is out of proportions as it imo should be twice the size. I am building my own and it will be a bit bigger and have firing slits a bit higher and angled a bit but not too much to be counted as modelling advantage.

I tried to build a fluffy list basis and that seemed to effective too. I try to get some games for this 2k incarnation of it too.

2500pts would be just a matter of adding a Typhon into list and 3000pts would require another troop, Sicaran and/or Deredeo.

This would suffer against deep striking armies and those that can infiltrate and/or scout. I would guess that Blood Angels using a Day of Revelation would just negate most of my list but this would still do quite well against basic calth box lists.

Archived