Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Astartes at Cadia

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Asamodai

Asamodai

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 481 posts
  • Chapter Name: Raven Guard
Just a quick question for anyone who picked up the Fall of Cadia book.

I remember when the rumours on it were going around still there was a grainy image of the chapters fighting in the area.

It was hard to make out, so I was wondering if anyone could let me know who the book specifically mentions.

gallery_70393_10089_17958.pngETL_2015_Banner_01_Oath_of_Moment.jpg

+Victorus aut Mortis+

My Raven Guard 3rd Company Log

Isinfier

Isinfier

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,626 posts
Everyone mentioned in the original Eye of Terror codex as well, iirc. They mentioned on the stream that it was still canon, just woefully outdated. Cross-reference that with any recent content (so Warzone Fenris, Traitor Legion's, etc) and you should be in the clear.

"If your enemy has painted his army to resemble the Salamanders, Iron Hands or Raven Guard, you may remove 2/3rds of his army from the field and wash it in horse urine. Then burn it."

Tyberos the Red Wake

Tyberos the Red Wake

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,389 posts
  • Chapter Name: Carcharodon Astra

In the little diagrams (that are now dopey looking MS Paint instead of hand-drawn/cool looking like FW) showing the template for every force present, there are tons and tons of chapters there.

But in the text of the book, the only ones mentioned constantly are the Black Templars who marched outside of the gates and stubbornly refused to retreat until they realized they were being bypassed, the Space Wolves who hunted the wastes outside the gate and chained up brothers turning Wulfen, and the Dark Angels, whose ship crashed and became a stranded island of gunfire. Other chapters helped to hold the stronghold itself, and were mentioned in passing. Imperial Fists were doing their own thing on Phalanx trying to hold off Iron Warriors boarding parties but eventually rendezvous to Cadia.

Some 30k era Ultramarines and a Custodes also make a cameo when Trazyn releases them to fight Abaddon but they are all wiped out.

So major forces: DA, BT, SW

Minor forces: A lot of chapters

I took a look at the diagram and it shows some 2nd Company jump pack Ultramarines, Salamanders, Raven Guard, Clan Raukaan, Exorcists, Howling Griffins (who I vaguely remember being mentioned) and many other famous chapters.

Edited by Tyberos the Red Wake, 22 February 2017 - 10:21 PM.

• Chaplain Dosjetka and DaveyBoy74 like this

"Grey-clad, they came from the outer night to aid the Imperium, and their jagged maw did swallow the stars, and their black gaze did mirror the void of oblivion."

- The Canticle of Cassandria Lev - Vol.CVI [Circa M37]

Lay

Lay

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 946 posts
  • Chapter Name: Alpha Legion

@Isinfier

Man, this is great news. Do you know what stream it was and if it was recorded somewhere?

Canadian_F_H

Canadian_F_H

++ SECTURATOR BIPENNIFER ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,844 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars
I really need to corner a copy of the original 13th black crusade codex from... 3rd (or was it 4th edition?)

Edited by Canadian_F_H, 23 February 2017 - 02:51 AM.

Vodunius

Vodunius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + LEXICANIUM +
  • 3,948 posts

3rd edition.

Lexicanum has a copy of the list of forces deployed, note that this was the forces deployed to the entire Cadian sector - many were deployed to other systems or subsectors rather than Cadia itself. 

http://wh40k.lexican...Imperial_Forces

• DaveyBoy74 likes this
i hate to break it to you chaps, but according to the English Language a Chevron is a V shape, if your 'Chevrons' are not V shaped then they are just hazard stripes NOT Chevrons

Horus killed Sanguinius so hard that his entire chapter feels it forever..

Red_Shift

Red_Shift

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 225 posts

I really need to corner a copy of the original 13th black crusade codex from... 3rd (or was it 4th edition?)

Is there a specific bit of info you are looking for? It's sat in my sideboard

Canadian_F_H

Canadian_F_H

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,844 posts

Is there a specific bit of info you are looking for? It's sat in my sideboard

Not really anything specific... I want the physical codex. it'll go well with my 3rd edition books.

Captain_Krash

Captain_Krash

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 382 posts
  • Chapter Name: Lamenters

So can it be assumed all the "other" chapter forces that were on Cadia in the "Fall of Cadia book" were destroyed?

Krash

Ad Victoriam

Isinfier

Isinfier

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,626 posts

@Isinfier

Man, this is great news. Do you know what stream it was and if it was recorded somewhere?

3rd edition.

Lexicanum has a copy of the list of forces deployed, note that this was the forces deployed to the entire Cadian sector - many were deployed to other systems or subsectors rather than Cadia itself. 

What Vodunius said, basically. I can't remember the exact stream.

I think it's safe to assume that the other forces present on the planet were either destroyed, managed to evacuate independently or had already redeployed elsewhere in the sector.

"If your enemy has painted his army to resemble the Salamanders, Iron Hands or Raven Guard, you may remove 2/3rds of his army from the field and wash it in horse urine. Then burn it."

Spyros

Spyros

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 80 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Angels

3rd edition.

It's always difficult to comprehend how the Chaos forces overwhelmed all these forces... and it's canon, so I wonder what will GW present next as a suitable defense.

"The Chapter's leaders point to their honour roll, which is second to none in victories won in the name of the Emperor." , Imperial Armour Vol.2, Baal Predator entry

"Whatever the Blood Angels' flaws, nowhere in the Imperium can truer servants of the Emperor be found." , Blood Angels Codex 5th ed.

"Although feared and mistrusted by those they protect, the Blood Angels continue to smash the Imperium's foes, compiling a battle history second to none." ,

Dark Millennium 7th ed.

Lord Marshal

Lord Marshal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 363 posts
  • Chapter Name: Storm Wardens

3rd edition.

It's always difficult to comprehend how the Chaos forces overwhelmed all these forces... and it's canon, so I wonder what will GW present next as a suitable defense.

Chaos is throwing all of the eggs it has in one basket at breaking the Cadian Gate, whilst the Imperium's forces are still spread out across the entire galaxy.

Whilst there's a lot of chapters present, they only number around a thousand each - at most - and even then, they're only sending companies worth of that number. Opposing them is the entirety of the Black Legion and probably the vast majority of the Traitor Legions. Throw into that millions of Traitor Guard/Cultists/Mutants and on top of that, a nigh-infinite amount of daemons being spawned and more arriving with every bit of ground taken. 

Edited by Arbitration, 23 February 2017 - 03:06 PM.

Canadian_F_H

Canadian_F_H

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,844 posts
Pretty sure there was a mass evacuation from the system... the reason the templars, Cawl etc got trapped and had to evacuate thru the warp gate was because they were the last ship in the convoy.

Spyros

Spyros

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 80 posts

Chaos is throwing all of the eggs it has in one basket at breaking the Cadian Gate, whilst the Imperium's forces are still spread out across the entire galaxy.

Whilst there's a lot of chapters present, they only number around a thousand each - at most - and even then, they're only sending companies worth of that number. Opposing them is the entirety of the Black Legion and probably the vast majority of the Traitor Legions. Throw into that millions of Traitor Guard/Cultists/Mutants and on top of that, a nigh-infinite amount of daemons being spawned and more arriving with every bit of ground taken. 

I know all that.

It's just that when you realize that you are counting roughly 800 Imperial Guard regiments...

And at least 196 Space Marine companies wtih 21 Battle Barges & 150 Strike Cruisers...

Also 3,5 Titan Legions (some psi-titans also appeared) and an irrelevant number of Knight Households and Skitarii regiments...

And finally at least 24 Battleships with 34 Cruiser squadrons...

I 'm only counting the biggest of military assets here. We know GW never get the scale right, but this...

• Tiger9gamer and Petitioner's City like this

"The Chapter's leaders point to their honour roll, which is second to none in victories won in the name of the Emperor." , Imperial Armour Vol.2, Baal Predator entry

"Whatever the Blood Angels' flaws, nowhere in the Imperium can truer servants of the Emperor be found." , Blood Angels Codex 5th ed.

"Although feared and mistrusted by those they protect, the Blood Angels continue to smash the Imperium's foes, compiling a battle history second to none." ,

Dark Millennium 7th ed.

Canadian_F_H

Canadian_F_H

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,844 posts
196 companies is 19,600 marines... vs the black legion alone having more than 100,000 marines. Plus contributions of the other 8 traitor legion and renegades... idk. Seams like cadia should be steamrolled.
  • Vesper likes this

Spyros

Spyros

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 80 posts

Yes, but here's another good point, we don't really know how big the traitor legions are, GW wont tell us.

I doubt they are in full legion strength after the Heresy, be it limited resources and infighting. If they were full strength the Imperium wouldn't stand a chance. The most recent example would be Magnus' attack on Fenris, imagine him attacking with a full legion... nope, didn't happen.

Of course the Chaos gods and their daemons make a huge difference for their lack of numbers. 

All in all, I 'm excited to see what happens next.

Dark Millennium 7th ed.

Lay

Lay

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 946 posts

The most recent example would be Magnus' attack on Fenris, imagine him attacking with a full legion... nope, didn't happen.

That's probably due to the more character driven fluff of recent editions. Fall of Cadia felt similarly small scale.

The Eye of Terror fluff from 3rd edition had both sides evenly matched, not just on Cadia but on all other late game warzones. Another example would be the "Dominion of Fire" from 4th edition in which Angron mobilizes 50.000 berzerkers, wreaking havoc across imperial space for two centuries.

• Vesper and Spyros like this

Canadian_F_H

Canadian_F_H

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,844 posts
Last I heard by fluff mongers here was that the black legion had at minimum 100,000 astartes at the start of the 13th black crusade...

Also that example with the 1ksons is poor since they were a tiny legion by the time the rubric was cast on the survivors...
  • Vesper likes this

Red_Shift

Red_Shift

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 225 posts

Last I heard by fluff mongers here was that the black legion had at minimum 100,000 astartes at the start of the 13th black crusade...
Also that example with the 1ksons is poor since they were a tiny legion by the time the rubric was cast on the survivors...

Just out of interest does anyone have a source for this 100k figure or is it a guestimate?

Canadian_F_H

Canadian_F_H

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,844 posts

Just out of interest does anyone have a source for this 100k figure or is it a guestimate?

I don't personaly. I mean... I have almost all the 7th ed chaos codexes but I haven't gotten around to reading them all yet so the answer might be in one...

Spyros

Spyros

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 80 posts

If you google "space marine legion size" you 'll find plenty of answers.

The most recent example would be Magnus' attack on Fenris, imagine him attacking with a full legion... nope, didn't happen.

That's probably due to the more character driven fluff of recent editions. Fall of Cadia felt similarly small scale.

The Eye of Terror fluff from 3rd edition had both sides evenly matched, not just on Cadia but on all other late game warzones. Another example would be the "Dominion of Fire" from 4th edition in which Angron mobilizes 50.000 berzerkers, wreaking havoc across imperial space for two centuries.

Both sides evenly matched?

If GW was consistent in its own fluff then Cadia would be under siege as chaos forces had entrenched themselves on the planet BUT the Imperium controlled space. However at the "Fall of Cadia" the 50-50 on the ground was made into 90-10 in favor of chaos and control of space was turned into control of a few damaged ships as the chaos fleet was returning miraculously unscratched to finish them of...

Dark Millennium 7th ed.

Lay

Lay

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 946 posts

When I mean "evenly matched" I mean that both sides were able to throw seemingly endless numbers of troops at each other. After all, the backdrop of the original Black Crusade was a player driven campaign. Both sides had to be portrayed as being capable of winning the war. Also, the bulk of the Chaos forces at the time were the Lost of the Damned rather than Chaos Space Marines, which isn't much of a surprise since they were one of the 4 new armies that were introduced for the campaign.

The whole fluff about imperials controlling space has been vastly inflated and misrepresented over the years. It's not what determined the outcome of the campaign. In fact it was kind of detrimental to the Imperial forces. (don't ask - it has something to do with the campaign's game mechanics and even some 4th wall breaking fluff)

Felix Antipodes

Felix Antipodes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 391 posts
  • Chapter Name: Stella Rex
The remaining Astartes on Cadia (other than SW, BT, DA & IF) were bundled into a joint force. The remains of this force went off with a SW great company in an attempt to infiltrate Abaddon's flagship (or the planet killer, I forget). They are all killed by the end of GS1.

I don't recall any being mentioned by name, but assume it contained elements from all the Chapters shown in the image section. No Chapter is described as being made extinct.

Vesper

Vesper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,462 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Legion

Word Bearer's omnibus.

A character (Marduk) states the Black Legion has ten times more astartes than the Word Bearers Legion, so around 100k marines.

Keep in mind it was prior the retcon of the Legion sizes, making them jump, overall, from 10k to 100k. So by that logic, the Black Legion would be around 1 000 000 marines strong. That's not really believable, but what remains is the huge scale of the Black Legion.

What is interesting is that, Dark Creed already had 9000 Word Bearers featured (5 hosts, not the entire Legion) while stating the Black Legion was ten times larger than the WB Legion by 40k.

So yeah, around 100 000 marines as an extremely low estimate can be considered relatively accurate.

You could find more discussions on that matter around the interwebs like, for instance, here or there.

Edited by Vesper, 25 February 2017 - 03:16 PM.

vesper.png Lord Silas, Knight of Thorns, Lord of the Lions of the Despoiler.

Canadian_F_H

Canadian_F_H

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,844 posts
Regardless... the black legion out numbers all loyalist astartes deployed to cadia by st least 5x.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users