Gem paints

Kierdale

I'm interested in using the three gemstone paints GW released some time ago, but not for small gems like soulstones. Rather, I'm interested in using them to paint the wing 'feathers' of a jump pack.

How do the paints look over larger, flat surfaces?

If I were to do gradation on a surface from Leadbelcher through Runefang Steel to Stormhost Silver, would it show up/have any visible effect with the gemstone paint on top?

Any photos of your use of these paints would be appreciated :)

They work well over the metallic. Even on large surfaces, the biggest thing is the thinness of the coats and the number of them.

I would do your gradiation of metallic paints, then do a thin wash of the Gemstone color of your choice. Then do a second thin wash over the darker metallic surfaces, working the gemstone color thinner towards the brighter parts so that they're "stained" the color you want.

They do a better job I've found than just using a wash over metallic.

I got the blue one today and its going to take a few thin coats so the end result isn't streaky. But not too thick as, as Slipstreams said, the blue is dark.

Once I've got something worth showing, I will :)

I got the blue one today and its going to take a few thin coats so the end result isn't streaky. But not too thick as, as Slipstreams said, the blue is dark.

Once I've got something worth showing, I will smile.png

Please do, been thinking of using these in a similar manner once I get back to my Deldar, be interested in seeing the results.

med_gallery_63428_9407_223528.jpg

That's a quick snap to show the blue after about three coats.

To be honest I'm not keen on it.

On small pieces like gems I think the paints may work (though I'll keep to doing gems the old way to be honest) but on larger - particularly flat - surfaces i find them difficult to use.

Kudos to Slipstreams on his far-better-than-my use of the paints.

I have other ideas for these wings, so in the Simple Green they go!

I pulled out my Tamiya Clear Blue and Green to experiment with them (having bought them a while back but not used them much) and, with a little Tamika Acrylic Thinner, the result was much smoother than the GW gem paints on flat surfaces.med_gallery_63428_9407_337126.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_231354.jpg

I'm now scraping off the leadbelcher and GW blue gem from the wings. I'm going to redo them Runefang Steel, recess shaded Nuln Oil, then do each 'feather' starting blue at the top and turning to green at their edge (a little like I did on the blade there).

I was impressed, too.

As Tamiya paints are thick I dipped my brush in Tamiya Acrylic Thinner then straight into the pot of Tamiya Clear Blue and painted it on as you see in the first photo: from the base a fair way up the blade and to one side.

The paints take a fair while to dry so while the blue was still wet I loaded my brush with Green and painted down, covering the bare top third and the middle third where there was already blue.

I then went back to blue and went over the bottom two thirds, and finally I think I did green over only the top third.

As you mentioned in my army thread, maybe I'll do a tutorial. :)

Yeah, for the large flat surfaces I did, I basically had to half brush it on normally and half stipple it on, constantly adding paint from the pot to the brush as I went.

I basically banked on the fact that its a glossy gel based paint that it would even itself out over the surface as it dried. If the surface was still uneven once dry, I just added another light coat over it to fill in the gaps.

Fun fact, I used Blood For The Blood God on this one right before they released the gem paints as a tester:

Archived