Your biggest hobby chore is...

old git

Just painting in general. I really REALLY struggle to be bothered with painting. Assembly? No problem. Painting? Nuh-uh. sad.png

Painting. For me, it goes in this order:

I love assembling and kitbashing.

I really like writing army background, even for individual squads.

I like playing and making army lists.

I don't like painting. At all.

These two have the right of it, even with B&C events I struggle to get even a single squad painted (which is what I am at with me L&T vow, everything is based but I can't just seem to get further than that) and I just don't know why. Its kind of annoying as I want an army that I painted but its just getting to the painting thats the issue.

For me it's because I'm mildly dyspraxic and have poor coordination/fine motor skills, so painting and keeping it neat is a challenge for me.

However I'm determined to get better at painting and actually do some highlighting and flesh with my Vlka Fenryka as I build them up.

I really like writing army background, even for individual squads.

I don't like painting. At all. 

If I could paint as well as you write, I'd be happy.  Hell, if I could write as well as you write... :D

Painting is a weird one for me: I both love and hate it. I love seeing the paint come together on the model as it grows closer to completion, and yet it feels such a slog to sit down and paint. I can sit down and kitbash all day, and I don't mind sitting down and writing 1500 words of background when the muse is there (though often it is not) yet painting for me is the hardest slog of them all.

I hate anyone who gets kits with faint mould lines. Even the new kits have huge lines for me... Guess I'm just loved.

For me it woild have to be the inspiration. If I'm not feeling it I can go months without touching my stuff. Very frustrating. Assembly, cleaning, painting, the whole bit of it sucks until I have a purpose. That's why w love the events here on B&C, only way I get anything done

Mould lines for sure as the biggest chore.  Painting comes a close second but since I do far more line removal than painting.. well.  Lastly, it's trying to work out what to model them with - sure, you get these great new models that look awesome with nice new weapons - but how long will it take before you can finally make a decision about what you're gluing together and not regret it or have to buy more?!

Cleaning and tidying up my workspace!  Setting up and tearing down and moving all the modeling and painting supplies.  Opening drawer after drawer just to get ready to do work is exhausting to the point where setting up kills my motivation to actually DO the hobby.

Living in an apartment with not enough dedicated real estate for the hobby is a killer!

Ovidius, I would recommend the Citadel Project Box.  It's designed specifically for your situation.  I found mine to be very useful back when I had to paint on the kitchen table. Now that I have a dedicated painting desk, I still find the paint storage rack to be helpful for organization.

Getting all the hobby related stuff out to work on some mini's. Since I've had to start the process of turning man cave into my youngest ones room I don't get much hobby done. By the time I get everything out so much time has passed it's time to put everything back.

It's that or leave stuff out and risk the kids getting hold of it or the wife 'tidying' it away!!!

I lament the passing of my man cave!!!

Painting... urgh. I love having painted models, and love the satisfaction of a fully painted army. But actually doing it? No. Last years ETL was a major victory for me personally but I don't think I painted a single model in between that ending and L&T beginning.

+1 for the Project box though, I use mine all the time to easily transport my gear down to the kitchen table.

That project box would be helpful, save for the paint organization and the sheer amount of stuff I have. unsure.png It's set up for Citadel pots and I use mostly Vallejo with some Citadel and occasional oddballs, so bottles are different sizes. I could keep the Citadel pots in there (well, the ones I use most) and find another solution for the other paints.

I'm working on claiming a place downstairs somewhere. While the project box is a nice idea it's way too small to fit my current projects. Hobby butterfly syndrome is a big problem for me and I tend to have a dozen or more projects out at the same time.

Lol ... I'm probably my own biggest problem. ;)

Personally, I can't stand painting, I have to force myself to do it.

The price we pay for these boxes, I think they should already come painted in my opinion...

Not only do I have to cut them out and put them together but I have to prime them and paint them 27 different colors?

verymad.gifverymad.gifverymad.gif

Putting the models together used to be my favorite part, I used to love seeing them come together and all that.....now it is far and a away my least favorite part. Sometimes I don't mind it that much, mostly while assembling single small models since they don't take a lot of time, but putting together a squad of just about anything is just a huge chore for me at this point.

That project box would be helpful, save for the paint organization and the sheer amount of stuff I have. unsure.png It's set up for Citadel pots and I use mostly Vallejo with some Citadel and occasional oddballs, so bottles are different sizes. I could keep the Citadel pots in there (well, the ones I use most) and find another solution for the other paints.

I don't know about the Vallejo paints, but the bottom section can accommodate the sort of pots that P3 uses now (and Citadel used to use). Otherwise, I'm sure you can find a box to serve the same purpose - a toolbox or something similar.

It was very helpful for me when I used to paint at the kitchen table - or if I was taking my project with me for some reason.

For me, cleaning mould lines, filling in gaps/seams (my wip Sicarians have panel lines on their butts), painting large areas of a model neatly (must set up my airbrush), prolonged edge highlighting and working with most metallic paints. This may sound like I hate dealing with 90% of the hobby aspect but I do still enjoy it despite these niggles and finishing a model feels great. :)

The whole hobby portion of the hobby. If I had the money I would totally just send everything out to be done up by professionals.

I enjoy painting, and I guess I'm on the "good" end of the spectrum, but if I could afford to I'd get everything professionally painted and spend my time playing instead.

Archived