Wow, the enbiggened Rhino looks awesome!

Now THAT... is a Moritat. He looks the role quite well, definitely has seen some stuff and made it out the other side.

Those Epic models look EXACTLY like the Forumware stuff I use for Titanicus, but mine are in metal. Very interesting...

hushrong: Thanks!
DuskRaider: Cheers! That is interesting indeed, wonder where the origin of these lie...
NightHunters: They are. Thanks!
Majkhel: Cheers! It's a good call, the metals are a bit flat. I may have to add some black soot on the exhausts too so they might get an extra round of refinement.
batu: Thank you!

Okay here's something quite unusual. A friday funny if you will. :teehee:

ju3hpdc.png
Getting a bit scary here...

D7qC0dQ.png
I lived!

cyuwO1k.png
It's a nice blob of silicone alright, but I think it could be bigger.

6xCSWJG.png
Et voilá!

8OYrRxW.png

I can't believe how well it worked in the end. I laughed my arse off. :biggrin.:
What I've done is make a regular old silicone mould, let it cure and then submerge it in white spirit. This will start to saturate the silicone, increasing it's volume. I checked on it in a few days and made a cast. The mould deteriorates quite badly in the process, but I haven't had this much hobby fun in a while.

I followed this guy's fantastic tutorial to make it, go have a look.

Cheers!

That is insanely cool, well done. Big fan of the craftman but never seen this technique, fantastic stuff!

Edit: Just had a thought, you could cast the original again but not make it bigger, then cut the head off and stick it on the larger body and it should look about right scale.

Edited by Doghouse

Excellent, I look forward to seeing what you come up with. A squad of them would look amazing!

Funnily enough I was scouring ebay today looking for Jes Goodwin metal MK6 to do something like this but had no idea you could scale things up like this. I may have to give it a try at some point if I do, thanks for the tip it's a really good idea and a fantastic new way to truescale stuff.

Imagine a truescale contemptor like this...

Excellent, I look forward to seeing what you come up with. A squad of them would look amazing!

Funnily enough I was scouring ebay today looking for Jes Goodwin metal MK6 to do something like this but had no idea you could scale things up like this. I may have to give it a try at some point if I do, thanks for the tip it's a really good idea and a fantastic new way to truescale stuff.

Imagine a truescale contemptor like this...

Is the contemptor undersized compared to lore?

And yes, this technique is revolutionary- I'd love to see how well detail transfers for, say, loyalist power armour or nuCSM! It probably lends itself best to the "nuCSM"/Heroes proportioned minis?

When you say a few days, may I ask what the rough estimate of % change over each day is? What would it take to expand a mold by, say, 10-15%, or even less? And, er, how long does the initial curing state take?

Edited by Lucerne

Doghouse: Cheers! I never thought of a whole squad of Thunder Warriors and I picked the model for this experiment exactly because of it's quirkyness compared to the rest of the range I have available. Now that you say it though... Must resist! :biggrin.: If you try it out please post results!
Lucerne: Well it isn't an exact science from my own assesment. There's unpredictable warping to the mould and so forth. I don't know about percentages but you can do an estimate of what three days in white spirit does to silicone from my pics. I do suspect there is a natural limit to how much the silicone can absorb the white spirit before it's completely saturated. The curing of your silicone depends on your brand, mine is completely cured in 24 hours.

Doghouse: Cheers! I never thought of a whole squad of Thunder Warriors and I picked the model for this experiment exactly because of it's quirkyness compared to the rest of the range I have available. Now that you say it though... Must resist! :biggrin.: If you try it out please post results!

Lucerne: Well it isn't an exact science from my own assesment. There's unpredictable warping to the mould and so forth. I don't know about percentages but you can do an estimate of what three days in white spirit does to silicone from my pics. I do suspect there is a natural limit to how much the silicone can absorb the white spirit before it's completely saturated. The curing of your silicone depends on your brand, mine is completely cured in 24 hours.

Thanks! At the risk of pestering, what's the material you use for the cast? ,Resin as per the video?

Edited by Lucerne

Sagentus: Thanks!
hushrong: Cheers!
Lucerne: I use Smooth Cast 300.

Okay some other news from the hobby desk. I'm currently working on a third tactical squad in mk2 plate that I can also use to fill up the two previous squads should I want to field big blobs. Originally my plan was to just exhaust all my Death Guard bits but you know how it goes, I'll probably be buying more soon... :wallbash:

Here's two regulars, a simple vexilla and a vox operator. I'm very happy with the pose of the stielhandgranate chugger especially. The torsos and legs are prints. I don't have a sergeant planned for the squad, any higher up I've already made would fit the job, hell even the model in Thunder plate could work.

sat3C2R.png

The rest of the squad is currently just a big pile, which made me reminisce the beginnings of the first ever squads for the whole army project. There is raw power in piles I tell you! :biggrin.:

PKuVJoa.png
oXOpYHb.png

That's it for now, thanks for looking.

Edited by Markus_

*Adjusting the collar of my shirt*...is there a file of that mk2 plate somewhere so someone could get in on that goodness?

Seriously love the mk2 armor and excited to see you build up more of it for the Death Guard! I do remember months ago you mentioning this project dwindling down but I am happy to see the XIV are still being well supplied ;)

hushrong: I don't want to share files in my thread, thanks. Hehe, I know right. Now that the burden of having a "finished" force is lifting it's only bringing vigour into making more. :rolleyes:

This was such a fun weekend build. I opted to give him a different head entirely and tinkered on it a bit. I will probably do a more pure version of a Thunder Warrior later as Doghouse suggested. I think the model conveys a very strong 'Visions of Heresy' look. Well without further delay, the Dusk Raider.

RKls4Gx.png
iORh3Xb.png
QOzwvjS.png
hEngBsB.png

4e3IYHG.png

C&C is always welcome.
Cheers!

That's a big marine! The Dusk Raider looks greats and definitely benefits from the head swap and the trim you added around the collar. The updates to the bolter and backback look good as well and still grounds it solidly with old school cool vibes! That red right hand of the emperor is going to look real slick with paint!

• 3 weeks later...

hushrong: Cheers! Select upgrades to bits will freshen up old models nicely.
Pearson73: Thanks!

Okay what's new... My little Dusk Raider project is on hold due to noticing a lasting stickiness in some parts, meaning it has unmixed/uncured resin leaking out. I've ordered some more silicone to make a stable cast of what I've done so far. Such is life in recast land sometimes.

I've completed the rest of the Recon squad in power armour bringing the squad to full strength. Here they be.

l8sUOVw.png
20ArLOK.png
2hG5sz7.png
dgPmzeg.png
V8R9sXy.png

Moneyshot.
Yx9N55p.png

I did the most boring part of the modelling during a little summer cabin retreat and took some shots of the process for the greaves.
I do them as follows:

Shave down the crown and kneepad of the Primaris model.
Add a blob of greenstuff.
Spread it like butter.
Clean up the top.
Hocus Pocus, Sim Sala Bim, you're done.

UHbmPSI.png
QV7ySBd.png
qKeHPIH.png
v8y79VY.png

Next up is to give the airbrush another go and basecoat these lads along with the two Sabre tanks. Will keep you posted.
Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Isengrin: Thanks! It's from the monopose plastic Plaguemarines of yore. It's a lovely wicked blade.
Doghouse: Thank you! I can't really emphasize how much I appreciate it coming from the "old man" of true scaling.
hushrong: Thanks! Silicone has arrived so I'll be making a two part mould soon enough. Just need to sculpt some additional bits to go with the kit.
Pearson73: Cheers!

Hobby has been slow due to summer trips and family time but I've managed to complete my Moritat model.

Legion Moritat Dursun
Where the Death Guard are regarded as killers, Dursun was a murderer. Although considered dishonorable even by the standard of his peers, his efficiency and ruthlessness could not be denied. Barred from ever carrying the green of the Legion again and moved to a more 'terminal' position, Dursun delighted in carnage. Usually operating under the burning gaze of Field Overseers but being otherwise scorned could have also been considered a boon. For unlike his artless brethren, Dursun often came back with souvenirs. Something small enough to carry without notice to build his own little shrine of accomplishment during long stellar transit. Tiny little symbols of extinquished life to adorn his plate.

1mgN7bR.jpg
zavV35i.jpg
WkCxHiy.jpg
tZYfWlS.jpg
UhQcNia.jpg
HZy9Efm.jpg

This model was quite fast to paint, having learned from painting the mk6 models prior in a similar fashion. Airbrush for a zenithal highlight, sponge chipping, finish metals etc. and wash with enamels. I wanted the skin to have a sickly look so I gave it some weird spots. Maybe the constant radiation and chemical damage is taking it's toll on his melanochrome organ.

Anyway that's all for now. C&C is always appreciated.
Cheers!