The Sanguine Eagles - A Tale of Gamers Project

Halandaar

Hello everyone!

So, as a brand new venture, I'm getting involved in a little "Tale of Gamers" style thing with a couple of people locally; we're building up new armies from very modest beginnings (or in my case, from scratch). The intent is to fully build and paint each month's purchases ready for a battle at the end of the month.

So, after considering various options I've decided to go for a force from Codex BA! I'm going for a successor chapter of my own devising, with the familiar successor trait of being just as dangerous to allies as to foes. I want these guys to be gore-soaked madmen, whose usefulness to the Imperium is largely thanks to the efforts of the Chapter's command structure to aim them in directions that reduce the possibility for collateral damage as far as possible. I realise this isn't the most terribly original backstory for a BA successor, but there we go. I wanted to really emphasise that battle-worn, blood-soaked look so came up with a scheme I hope will showcase that:

gallery_84244_13371_58869.jpg

For my first purchases I've managed to obtain a Gauntlet Tactical Squad box, a Death Company box and a Deathwatch Chaplain. I know there's quite a few bits on offer here and I have some flexibility from my bits-box for additional things. I don't consider myself to be "gamey" and for me it's better that the models look awesome and a game is fun, rather than winning. That said, I also don't want to be punched about every game.

I know that both opposing forces are going to be Astartes based: a 13th Company Space Wolves force, and a Nurgle Chaos Marine force. With that in mind, my initial thoughts for the first 500 points are:

• Chaplain with Jump Pack - 105
  • Tactical Squad (10 strong) with Combi-Plasma*, Plasma Gun* and Heavy Flamer - 175
  • Rhino - 45
  • Death Company (5 strong) with Jump Packs and 4 Power Weapons - 175

At this point the increased toughness of the Nurgle Marines is my main concern, which is why I've opted for Plasma in the Tactical Squad. They should also be able to threaten the Rhino I suspect will appear without having to have any dedicated anti-tank at this level. Heavy Flamer is still strong enough to be wounding them on 4's so I figured that was a worthwhile purchase.

As for the Death Co, I figure that they're putting out 20 attacks at S5 on the charge with re-rolls from the Chaplain, so it's better to go for swords for the AP3 than for any additional strength. I'd be very grateful for thoughts and/or feedback!

NB - I wasn't actually sure where to put this one and considered Liber Astartes, Army Lists and Work In Progress, but settled on BA General as it's probably going to be a combination of all three topics. I'm sure mods will move if that's not appropriate (in which case, apologies)

EDIT - Link to the formative Sanguine Eagles Index Astartes over in the Liber

Edited by Halandaar

Your chapters description and even the color scheme sounds a LOT like Knights of Blood tbh. :biggrin.:

Acknowledged; when I showed the scheme to the other guys in the group I had a similar comment. I'm not completely sold on the Knights of Blood colour scheme but I'm not at all opposed to the idea of tweaking it and using their badge & background if it works better.

A think a lot of it will come down to test models to be honest!

They looks a little bit like Heresy World Eaters on the Khornate turn, but there ain't nothing wrong with that my man. Glad to have you aboard :wink:

All the blood splatters will looks great on that white armour!

For Chaplain, I heartily recommend the Death Company Chaplain. As he lets you re-roll hits AND wounds on the first round of combat. It's just brutal.

Also, when you have slightly more info - feel free to immortalize your chapter in the:

SLATE OF SANGUINE SUCCESSORS

Edited by Charlo

Nothing wrong with placing it here :)

A quick point about the list, drop three power swords from the DC and toss in an axe instead. With the remaining 20 points, consider a melta bomb on the Tactical Sergeant and perhaps a grav pistol on the Chaplain... or just take the DC Chaplain as Charlo mentioned (it's Datasheet is in Angel's Blade). Basically, with all the re-rolls and five attacks on the charge anyway, you are going to overrun a lot of stuff even if it's toughness five (we wound on 4s on the charge :D). If you want a fist instead of an axe, re-work stuff to fit but make sure to give him a bolter - he can still fire and charge it due to Relentless and you're not getting the +1 ATK for two weapons anyway.

Oh, and if you're buying the above, make sure you get a Razorback instead of a Rhino as 1) you can kit it out for both and 2) BAs adore Razorbacks more than regular Space Marines.

I agree that 4 power weapons is too much considering they will be the target of all the firepower in your opponents army. You need more than one, however, as all these units are multi wound or have feel no pain (I think). Facing plagues and Wulfen, there will mostly be 3+ saves, so 2 power swords would work. Alternately one sword and one axe in case the lord has a 2+ save from somewhere. 

Are there special rules that allow only 1troop choice at 500pts? You can always split the tacs up into 2 units of 5. 

If you wanted a fun unit to compliment the force, you could drop 5 tacs and the second special/heavy weapon until larger point games, and get a land speeder typhoon. 2krak missiles per turn will hurt.

They looks a little bit like Heresy World Eaters on the Khornate turn, but there ain't nothing wrong with that my man. Glad to have you aboard :wink:

All the blood splatters will looks great on that white armour!

For Chaplain, I heartily recommend the Death Company Chaplain. As he lets you re-roll hits AND wounds on the first round of combat. It's just brutal.

Also, when you have slightly more info - feel free to immortalize your chapter in the:

SLATE OF SANGUINE SUCCESSORS

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't influenced slightly by these images:

gallery_84244_13371_9893.png

gallery_84244_13371_142422.jpeg

I agree that 4 power weapons is too much considering they will be the target of all the firepower in your opponents army. You need more than one, however, as all these units are multi wound or have feel no pain (I think). Facing plagues and Wulfen, there will mostly be 3+ saves, so 2 power swords would work. Alternately one sword and one axe in case the lord has a 2+ save from somewhere.

Are there special rules that allow only 1troop choice at 500pts? You can always split the tacs up into 2 units of 5.

If you wanted a fun unit to compliment the force, you could drop 5 tacs and the second special/heavy weapon until larger point games, and get a land speeder typhoon. 2krak missiles per turn will hurt.

I'm confident that there won't be Wulfen in the first round but these things will absolutely need dealing with later on. The reason I went for Swords rather than anything else at this stage was the slim likelihood of coming up against anything tougher to crack than 3+. Absolutely noted on the possibility of characters with 2+ though.

Don't know how I managed to overlook that Death Company aren't Troops. They used to be, right? I'll split the Tactical Squad down to 2 lots of 5. After that do I use the Rhino to move people around or do I park the Heavy Flamer in it and use it like a Razorback?

Nothing wrong with placing it here :smile.:

A quick point about the list, drop three power swords from the DC and toss in an axe instead. With the remaining 20 points, consider a melta bomb on the Tactical Sergeant and perhaps a grav pistol on the Chaplain... or just take the DC Chaplain as Charlo mentioned (it's Datasheet is in Angel's Blade). Basically, with all the re-rolls and five attacks on the charge anyway, you are going to overrun a lot of stuff even if it's toughness five (we wound on 4s on the charge :biggrin.:). If you want a fist instead of an axe, re-work stuff to fit but make sure to give him a bolter - he can still fire and charge it due to Relentless and you're not getting the +1 ATK for two weapons anyway.

Oh, and if you're buying the above, make sure you get a Razorback instead of a Rhino as 1) you can kit it out for both and 2) BAs adore Razorbacks more than regular Space Marines.

In this case it's a Rhino kit bundled in with the Tactical Squad so I don't have the option, but I will be magnetizing the top hatch so I can retrofit to Razorback later on (either with an eBay-bought turret or one of the Forgeworld ones)

I initially discounted the DC Chaplain because of the fixed loadout but I suppose when I'm buying most of it anyway it'd be daft not to get those extra re-rolls.

Revised list: (500)

• Death Company Chaplain - 125
  • Death Company Squad (x5) with Jump Packs, Power Sword, Power Axe - 145
  • Tactical Squad (x5) with Combi-Plasma, Melta-Bomb, Plasma Gun - 100
  • Tactical Squad (x5) with Melta-Bomb, Heavy Flamer - 85
  • Rhino - 45
Edited by Halandaar

Yup, DC moved to elites in teh 7th ed dex.

If you like the idea of DC dreads, Cassor the Damned is currently a valid troop choice for BA armies.

He's about the same cost as the DC chaplain, and can scale up to larger games nicely, where you can then put your two tactical squads together again.

Plus there is Raphen's Death Company:

5-Man DC that's still Troops, but with a Sarge that gives +1A/Ld, a Power Sword, a Power Fist, a Thunder Hammer, and an Inferno Pistol. For 10 more points than an equally-kitted squad the major rules advantage is that they'll get ObSec in a CAD and allow you to spend that Elites slot on one of the multitude of Blood Angels Elite units.

Revised list: (500)

• Death Company Chaplain - 125
  • Death Company Squad (x5) with Jump Packs, Power Sword, Power Axe - 145
  • Tactical Squad (x5) with Combi-Plasma, Melta-Bomb, Plasma Gun - 100
  • Tactical Squad (x5) with Melta-Bomb, Heavy Flamer - 85
  • Rhino - 45

The good news is that this army now fits into a Baal Strike Force, so you can decide what's more important to you, Objective secured or +1 I on the charge.

Plague marines are all I3 so use the CAD against them. Wolves are I4 so use the BSF against them!

Yup, DC moved to elites in teh 7th ed dex. If you like the idea of DC dreads, Cassor the Damned is currently a valid troop choice for BA armies. 

Plus there is Raphen's Death Company:

Ahh okay, so these guys retained their old battlefield role because they're in Deathstorm? Good to know. I think I'll make the effort to magnetise the Death Company guys so I have the option to run them as Raphen's (or indeed, anything else) later on. Cassor I can see featuring in the future definitely.

The good news is that this army now fits into a Baal Strike Force, so you can decide what's more important to you, Objective secured or +1 I on the charge.

Plague marines are all I3 so use the CAD against them. Wolves are I4 so use the BSF against them!

That's a great tip. I think I'm likely to go BSF in general at the moment because, to my knowledge, it's going to be Nurgle-marked CSMs rather than actual Plague Marines and not using the Death Guard rules from Traitor Legions (so still I4).

He'd be a fool to not be using the Traitor's Hate rules in my opinion, but I suppose points could be an issue there...

It's more that we're all returning to the gaming side of things after hiatuses of varying lengths. I'm not sure Traitor Legions (or anything to do with Formations) is even on his radar at this point. I'm sure that will change before too long though!

Alrighty; I now know the lists I'm up against for Round 1

Space Wolves

Wolf Lord - Runic Armour, Frost Axe, 2 Fenrisian Wolves (161)

Lukas the Trickster (80)

Grey Hunters (5 Strong) - Wolf Guard Pack Leader, Wolf Claw, Frost Axe, Melta Bombs, Close Combat Weapons (143)

Blood Claws (5 Strong) - WG Pack Leader, Frost Axe x2, Melta Bombs (115)

So my first thought here is that the list lacks mobility; I should be able to claim objectives against these guys (or steal them late in the game) without too many issues. Next thought is that it's a lot of points invested in relatively few models

Death Company should be able to generate enough wounds from a successful charge to steamroll either of the units before they get a chance to take advantage of Counter-Attack. Main issue is lack of somebody in the DC to eat challenges against the Chaplain.

Grey Hunters are going to be better in combat than Blood Claws so I'll try to whittle them down with ranged fire first, focussing the DC on the Blood Claws to start with.

Chaos Space Marines

Dark Apostle - Combat Familiar, Combi-Bolter, Mark of Nurgle, Veteran of the Long War (138)

Chaos Marine Squad (7 Strong) - Mark of Nurgle, Melta Gun, Melta Bomb (137)

Chaos Marine Squad (10 Strong) - Mark of Nurgle, Plasma Gun, Melta Bomb (190)

Rhino (35)

This confirms that these chaps are going to be I4, so I'll stick with the Baal Strike Force against them as well. They don't really offer anything in terms of CC ability so I think he must be relying on their staying power to hold objectives. Again, a good charge from the Death Company should blitz most members of either squad.

Any particular thoughts or tactical tips to share?

Chop the shooty and shoot the choppy!

In reality though use your rhino to screen the DC for a turn, it shouldn't take more than two to get in range and let that big charge off.

The DC Chaplain is going to be a real contender, but be wary of power fists - his 3W are something you want to leverage and his main use is all those re-rolls. He is what will win your DC combats. Don't forget his inferno pistol either! Might be handy to pop a Rhino or the like on the fly.

Thanks all! Making some more progress, "finished" the Tactical Squad and have started building the Death Company guys. For these guys, the gore splatters are concentrated around the fists and feet, since I figure they'd do most of their close-up work with gauntlets and boots, and the occasional power-armoured headbutt.

Now, for the gaming side of things, the guy with the Space Wolves has pulled a significant left turn, ditched them and gone for Mechanicus instead. I'm not really that familiar with how they play or what any of their gear is like. I also don't know what I'll be facing at the moment. Any specific tips for facing them?

Edited by Halandaar

Apologies for the double post, but it is new content so.. :whistling:

Death Company gents are built (with magnetised arms so I can swap out weapons as required) and the Rhino is now in a state of half-built basecoatedness that should allow imminent progress. Although games are yet to happen with the finished starter forces (this is slated for 1st weekend of April), I'm already starting to think about my next additions. We're now looking at adding 250 points worth of stuff each month. 

Some thoughts:

• Furioso Dreadnought - Frag Cannon, Drop Pod (165)
  • Sanguinary Priest - The Angel's Wing (85) -OR- Librarian - Jump Pack (80)

Dropping S6 rending plates on Nurgle infantry will be fun; considering keeping the Heavy Flamer rather than the Meltagun for extra template goodness, although lack of dedicated anti-tank elsewhere in the force might mean keeping the Melta is the better idea. The point of the Sanguinary Priest is just to add +1WS to the Death Company guys (and I suppose FNP to the DC Chaplain).

Not sure if I'd actually be better off with a Librarian though, as one of the main benefits of the Priest (FNP) is largely redundant with a Death Company squad. That said, is a single ML1 Librarian really worth the effort? Would I get more mileage out of a Las/Plas Razorback or perhaps just more boots on the ground?

Another option would be switching the Fragioso for:

• "Meltacide" Assault Squad - Combi-Melta, 2 Meltaguns, Melta Bomb, Drop Pod (140)

Although I think I'll want one of these units, I'm not so sure 140 points of throwaway anti-tank is going to make its points back at this level where it's really only likely to come up against a Helbrute or Dunecrawler (assuming either of these things are what my opponents go for!). This might be an expansion for later on.

I'd be very grateful for any thoughts on the matter!

I'd go with the librarian.

Prescience is better than +1WS. Both are kind of redundant anyway with the chaplain in the unit. 

Either priest or libby synergise well with the tactical squad, although both prefer being closer to the enemy. 

The 80pts could be used instead to get a razorback for that second tactical squad.

Alternative view. Planning ahead. Get the second HQ choice and a death co dread with heavy flamer and melta now. Next month paint another 2x5 man jump pack DC units.

Then you have 3x death co units, dread and chaplain for the death co strike force, where all your DC get +1 attack when close to the chaplain, and 2 tac squads and HQ for ob sec scoring.

Edited by Xenith

• 2 weeks later...

Painted Death Company & DC Chaplain!

gallery_84244_13371_132182.jpg

Alternative view. Planning ahead. Get the second HQ choice and a death co dread with heavy flamer and melta now. Next month paint another 2x5 man jump pack DC units.

Then you have 3x death co units, dread and chaplain for the death co strike force, where all your DC get +1 attack when close to the chaplain, and 2 tac squads and HQ for ob sec scoring.

Thanks to this tip, I did opt for the Dreadnought with a view towards getting a DC Strike Force next time around. He'll come with a Drop Pod and a Librarian, who in the future will count as Mephiston but for now will serve as a generic character in the force.

I'm intending to magnetise the Dread kit a bit because I'd like to have the option to field it as a Frag Cannon Furioso as well.

Edited by Halandaar