++ Prot's Thousand Sons Thread: Painting - Battle Reports ++

Prot

So a few times I've been asked for close ups and references to my battle reports so I think it's time to just start this up as a thread:

gallery_2760_12702_7106.jpg

Contents:

med_gallery_2760_12702_63917.jpg

+ Finished Thousand Sons and Tzeentch Models are here: +LINK+

The following WIPs and Finished projects are in order of oldest to newest:

+ WIP shots of various units: Tanks/Forgefiend/Flamers/etc: +LINK+

+ Finally...after some delays Magnus the Red is complete! +LINK+

+ Alright time for Daemons! We have Pinks, Blues, Brimstones, a Tzaangor Herald AND Flamers all in one post: +LINK+

+ Hopefully some better shots of Magnus the Red here: +LINK+

+ Finally a WIP Forgefiend turns into the finished product! +LINK+

+ Thousand Sons Helbrute for 8th edition! +LINK+

+++ New Shadow Wars Content +++

I'll slip in the Shadow Wars Armageddon content here as most of it will be paint related, but I will link the Shadow Wars batreps in the section below. Whereas this section will mostly host projects related to Shadow Wars:

+ First up I challenge myself to finish some terrain from the starter box set in 2 Days! Can I do it? +LINK+

+ Phase 2: I showed you the Crates/barrels, but I also bought a Galvanic Magnavent and gave myself the same 1 week challenge: +LINK+

med_gallery_2760_12702_39148.jpg

+ Two Batreps for the price of One! ITC mission 5 (Highlander) 1500 Points: vs Orks and vs Admech: +LINK+

+ Another ITC (Highlander) 1500 Points vs Space Wolves: +LINK+

+ Two Batreps again for the low price of one: 1850 Points Maelstrom vs Orks and Tyranids: +LINK+

+ Another ITC (Highlander) test of my futility at 1500 vs AdMech + Skittles: +LINK+

+ The Fall of Cadia Campaign SUPER DUPER Batrep collection (3 games, then a 4th mega battle game featuring 3 Chaos armies vs. 3 Armies of the Imperium using the "Emperor Protects" scenario. All games were played out at my local GW store: (lots of pics)

- Fall of Cadia GAME ONE: +LINK+
- Fall of Cadia GAME TWO: +LINK+
- Fall of Cadia GAME THREE: +LINK+
- Fall of Cadia Final Mega Battle: The Emperor Protects: +LINK+

med_gallery_2760_12702_66887.jpg

+ An important tactics article for me as I'm trying to understand Tzeentch Daemons and Summoning. I never foresaw me going down this path until I saw how tough life is with 18 models on the table.... Are you trying to figure it out as well? Do you have something to add? Please check out the conversation here: Using Daemons with Thousand Sons +LINK+

+

+

More to come shortly!

Edited by Prot
Tags edited

Okay here's some WIP shots of stuff I've been sitting on because I can't make sense of if their worth taking in a list or not.... some of this is nearing completion but some if it... isn't.

med_gallery_2760_12702_83196.jpg

These are very near completion:

med_gallery_2760_12702_183026.jpg

I never wanted to make this a 'Daemon Army' but.... I feel to compete on any level I have to entertain the idea to some degree. So I'm trying to muddle through that now....

med_gallery_2760_12702_172701.jpg

+ I think I'm okay with how these guys are coming along. I don't know if they're worth summoning but a thread is up for that elsewhere. (See the tactics section above).

med_gallery_2760_12702_50443.jpg

This is older...it's the official photo for my Gathering of Forces WIP for the 13th Black Crusade!

So this is a timed experiment:

med_gallery_2760_12702_60498.jpg

+ This photo above is not using Duncan's method. Instead I did many hours of airbrush blending and highlighting before hitting the golds, and inks.

I've since realized that all the golds and inks pretty much "mute" my airbrush work by about 75% making it a bit of an eye opener to how much time I spend on these.

On 5 guys like above, I took notes, and I have 4 hours (airbrush) + 2 Hours plus 2x 2 hour sessions for the Golds (very tedious, because you can't get any on the airbrushed blues/greens.) + 1 hour of tight inking using the Nuln Oil Gloss. So about 9 Hours to this point not touching the silvers, or other details, or fine highlights.

Dayum the green is sweet as heck! :o

And who cares whether they are worth taking or not. Dakkafiends and Maulerfiends are some of the most awesome models in 40k imo :D For some reason I just love those 'new' generation of daemon engines....even tho those are pretty old already as well.

Look great.  How do you get that green glow?

You know I admit I went back and forth with it so many times with an airbrush, then washes, then dry brushing, then airbrushing again over a period of sessions I couldn't redo it if you paid me a million bucks. I just kept going until I liked it. lol

Dayum the green is sweet as heck! :ohmy.:

And who cares whether they are worth taking or not. Dakkafiends and Maulerfiends are some of the most awesome models in 40k imo :biggrin.: For some reason I just love those 'new' generation of daemon engines....even tho those are pretty old already as well.

Thanks a lot guys. They are awesome models. I definitely agree. I just wish they lasted! It's been easier for me to include them in KDK lists and World Eater lists because they can be spammed a bit. Thousand Sons just don't have the room I find, especially at 1500 where model count becomes a serious issue.

The blue/green comes from a base of Macragge Blue (spray primer from GW).

Then it goes on to air brushing a few gradients of Thousand Sons / Ahriman up to a splash of Lothern before I wash it in Nuln GLOSS (not wash).

Freaking sick, love your Ahriman

Lol... I haven't heard that one yet. Thank you! That's a great compliment as I love what you've done with your Thousand Sons!

I have a massive battle report coming from a weekend campaign and more pics. I just have to sort through the mess.

Edited by Prot

• 1 month later...

Finally finished Magnus. Posted him here as well as the 'finished models' thread. Sorry I don't have WIPs.

gallery_2760_12702_96737.jpg

+ The full pic+ No this ain't Mardi Gras. Magnus is about to go toe to toe with Tau Stormsurges, and wants to look his best.

The pics aren't great, hopefully I can get more later with better lighting.

gallery_2760_12702_334467.jpg

+ I spent a ton of time on him. Way more than I anticipated, and started to just want to complete the project. I debated his wings. I wanted high contrast but a certain 'evil' beauty, if such a thing exists.

gallery_2760_12702_321288.jpg

+ Here's a blow up of the exaggerated muscle striation theme I decided to go with. Kind of leaning on my comic artist days here. It took a bit too long and I probably wouldn't go that far again. I'm mostly happy with how he turned out. The thing is I strongly believe in playing armies which gets -extremely- difficult to do when you spend too long on characters. ;)

I will advise you watch a video on putting him together. If you attempt Magnus the biggest problem spot for me was the partial skull connecting to the Horns in a way that they line up. Look at the box art, and take your time here. I didn't understand how it fit together and ruined the head. I refused to work with the damaged skull line so I did an Ebay Bitz order for a new head and that delayed the project.

Thanks for having a look!

Prot, he looks gorgeous!

Personally I think it's goot to go the extra mile on such large models where you can see the hard work properly.

(still in love with your Ahriman btw, so crisp!)

Thank you very much guys.

Hey Prot,

Love the reds on the wings, and the heavily invested upon musculature. Did you magnetize? Did you paint the whole body prior to the armour?

No, I didn't magnetize. The wings are glued in with super glue, but I probably could yank them out if I had to. And yes the whole body (minus the calves) was painted prior to putting on the armour.

Good day friends of Chaos.

I did some more pics of Magnus with better lighting + some new stuff:

I really wanted to do a full contrast of colours on his wings. They go to almost black at the middle, and the 'peacock' features are black as the wings almost reach white (I look at the white symbolic to his fading innocence in the warp. While the darkest blues/purples represent his understanding of the warp, and his being 'duped' by Tzeentch during the Heresy).

gallery_2760_12702_535467.jpg

The Warp Klopesh thingy too goes from near white to near purple/black:

gallery_2760_12702_133204.jpg

Unfortunately the bright light did make it difficult to take good pics of the Tattoo. It is a bit washed out and you can't see the detail:

gallery_2760_12702_189906.jpg

The Peacock from hell:

gallery_2760_12702_203353.jpg

And another attempt at showing the muscle striation embelishment:

gallery_2760_12702_278905.jpg

He did burn me out a bit. I could have done more but you reach a point when you play a lot... I think where you just say, 'okay it's time to call it done and move on.'

I wish he was a bit more cost efficient and blended better with real Thousand Sons armies but I had to do him and he would help sell the army as well.

Thanks for checking him out!

Next.... Daemons! (AKA Space Hippies)

Here are the Daemons that I use in game mostly. I don't use a lot of daemons and my preference is always Thousand Sons. To me they are a tool but not the thrust of the force.

gallery_2760_12702_322520.jpg

Here we have a bit of a close up of Flamers:

gallery_2760_12702_464549.jpg

I think after painting a box of Blues/Brimstones, and Pinks for a tournament... I think that's as much 'splitting' as I can stomach. I know Thousand Sons need the numbers, but I feel realistically this should do without being 'that guy'. :)

I am not really a fan of the Herald model so I bought the Enlightened Tzaangors and put one on a disk (purely for aesthetics though in game he's not actually on a disk). The Tzaangor looks the part to me and I'm glad I went with this:

gallery_2760_12702_378917.jpg

So I do have some other Daemon models but don't know if I'll ever do the flying manta ray things, or the Chariot dude (all from the starting daemons box set).

As the project winds down if I decide to not sell the army I may complete them, but rumours of summoning in 8th would probably kill that idea of going further anyway.

So for now that's it for the daemon part! Hope you liked it.

So some bonus Shadow Wars Content:

This isn't directly Thousand Sons but it's my current project and I'll be using Chaos in this campaign.

I am currently in 2 Shadow Wars Campaigns. One is hosted by me between about 8-10 people, and one is at the local GW. I have a good amount of terrain but I wanted some stuff that would go with my Gamemats but would fit the Shadow Wars cool 'multi-level' theme.

I challenged myself to put together the Shadow Wars: Armageddon terrain together on a Sunday, and paint it on another day. And I did do it, forcing myself to paint it as fast as possible:

gallery_2760_13060_316850.jpg

Another angle:

Note it is quite modular:

gallery_2760_13060_228936.jpg

gallery_2760_13060_622979.jpg

That project went off pretty good I think:

gallery_2760_13060_132993.jpg

I was so happy with what a quick job could do for terrain I bought another kit this week with the same challenge in mind. This is a partial kit though. I forgot the name, but it's one of the bigger pieces from the set you see above.

Plus I bought the Crate and barrels stuff since it seemed a natural fit:

gallery_2760_13060_224979.jpg

So "phase 1" is complete for my new Shadow Wars Project.

The crate box is fully assembled, as well as the new Promethium Shadow Wars set (sorry forgot to take a picture!)

Now Phase 2 is to complete the painting in one day. I have a theme in mind that will be similar but different to the "world war 2 green" look I went with above. Wish me luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey remember this ol' WIP shot?

med_gallery_2760_12702_83196.jpg

I finally broke down and did him. I've always loved this model. Between the two variants I've painted a Black Legion Mauler, 2 KDK Maulers, an IW Forgefiend, and finally this Thousand Sons Forgefiend. Sure hoping 8th makes these guys really fun:

gallery_2760_12702_189226.jpg

gallery_2760_12702_13104.jpg