++ Prot's Thousand Sons Thread: Painting - Battle Reports ++

Prot

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Prot, your work is amazing!

I especially love the termies! and the base on magnus makes me want to scrap my magnus' base and redo it completely.

I have to know how you paint your gold trim. More specifically, the trim on your forgefiend and termies.

One day, when I have a bit of free time, I reckon I too will post up all my thousand sons and daemons.

Till then

All is dust.

• 4 weeks later...

Well just to show you guys I haven't had my head in the sand, here is a WIP shot:

gallery_2760_12702_16468.jpg

Nothing amazing to show off I'm afraid. However these 10 guys will give me 20 finished Rubrics. I want all options available for the pending Codex update.

These guys do take forever, I'd guess they're about 30 percent done. The gold process alone is time consuming, and done in stages. (My Rubrics are done very similarly to Duncan's tutorial.)

The 'other' projects I have depend on order of importance. I kind of stalled out because I don't know what to do:

1. Landraider. It's built, and base coated with colour. I just don't use them anymore because I like higher numbers on the table. Any Thousand Sons players really enjoying it?

2. Decimator. I was going to go Soulburner plus Heavy Flamer/Claw arm, but I don't know if this will be best in Thousand Sons or Red Corsairs/World Eaters?

3. Another Helbrute. He's built, ready for magnetization, but I already have one done above.

4. A Defiler. I have a new one in progress but they still seem... bad.

Sorry I've been distracted. too many projects at once and work.... Ultra's, Chaos codex has some goodies I've been working on too.... and of course TSons!

Rubrics are looking great. And the rest of your army is stunning!

I'm painting my Land Raider up at the moment and it will probably get regular use after my first game with it is anything to go by. It's expensive but there's a few reasons why I think it's worth it,
- Gives us a much needed heavy support option that will hang around for a while with those 16 wounds.
- Seems like a good way to transport 10 rubrics when a rhino won't provide much (if any) fire support after it's done its job.
- If deployed with 2 5 man rubric squads inside it counts as a single drop hence increasing your chance of getting that important first turn. Plus lesser benefits of giving you 2 sorcerors and looking after 2/3's of your troops requirement for a battalion.

If used for all 3 of the issues above it definitely makes it worth it (for me anyway) :)

How did you do the sword since what you get left handed?

- Well I just clipped the sword at the hilt, and glued it on top of a Stave arm. I'm all about super simple conversions. :wink:

Have you tried a translucent blue over the gold base? I bought some blue but over a silver base it's a bit darker than I expected. Figured the gold may provide a warmer look on a future squad.

- I have a few ways of doing gold that have evolved over the last several years. I really like how my gold looks on Rubrics.

Wow looks wonderful. What gold paint did you use? Spray, airbrush or from a pot?

- This gold is different from my Scarab gold which requires more subtle work. The beauty of this process is it is basically starting with a black undercoat, and GW gold spray, a few washes, some dry brushing, and next thing you know it pops really nice and multiple levels of washes/drybrushes really being a 3D look to it. You can be 'sloppy' sort of at this stage which is great. As long as you watch for pooling.

Again this is Duncan's method. I just tweaked the washes, and dry brush up to a higher level of silver than him, but I completely stole this from him... but I only use it on my Rubrics (since there is so much gold trim on these guys. I like to airbrush the Scarabs.)

Rubrics are looking great. And the rest of your army is stunning!

I'm painting my Land Raider up at the moment and it will probably get regular use after my first game with it is anything to go by. It's expensive but there's a few reasons why I think it's worth it,

- Gives us a much needed heavy support option that will hang around for a while with those 16 wounds.

- Seems like a good way to transport 10 rubrics when a rhino won't provide much (if any) fire support after it's done its job.

- If deployed with 2 5 man rubric squads inside it counts as a single drop hence increasing your chance of getting that important first turn. Plus lesser benefits of giving you 2 sorcerors and looking after 2/3's of your troops requirement for a battalion.

If used for all 3 of the issues above it definitely makes it worth it (for me anyway) :smile.:

Sadly I've pulled the LR from my last...5 or so games. I just feel like I do better with infantry in this army, but my other armies seem to use it better... I don't know, it could be the overall list that I use is less effective with the LR... it ends up focused down by long distance shooting pretty easily. (I wish it had an invuln)

Edited by Prot

Sadly I've pulled the LR from my last...5 or so games. I just feel like I do better with infantry in this army, but my other armies seem to use it better... I don't know, it could be the overall list that I use is less effective with the LR... it ends up focused down by long distance shooting pretty easily. (I wish it had an invuln)

I guess you could cast weaver of fates on it but that's only one turn at a time.

@Souljet: have you tried combi-meltas on your rhinos? It can keep enemy vehicles nervous in my limited experience. I tend to run three though so maybe that's the secret.

No I haven't but that's a good idea as it would most likely end up within the half melta range wouldn't it.

Edited by Souljet