Space Wolves: Bloodied Claw RoW

LukeTheButcher

Hello,

Sorry if this is obvious but i ahve a quick quetsion regarding the new RoW for Space Wolves, the Bloodied Claw. It states Grey Slayers must charge if able to (or words to that effect). If I equipe a squad of Grey Slayers with bolters and they move to within 11 inches of an enemy....If I rapid fire the bolters that unit cannot charge (as i understand the rules for Rapid Fire). So, can I use bolters Rapid Fire to circumvent the RoW must charge rule, or does the RoW override my choice to fire the bolters in Rapid Fire?

Equally, if the Grey Slayers cannot harm the foe they are in charge range for, are they still bound by the RoW to charge? (I know there is a rule to that effect 'our weapons do nothing!' but i think that is only relating to being locked into combat, rather than initiating a charge?)

Any advice much appreciated....

Luke

Rapid fire is an acceptable way of circumventing that, just make sure you actually do equip them with bolters :)

If they can't harm the enemy they have to charge, rules and fluff wise. Can you imagine a group of 10 space wolves being cowering from a charge because they can't harm them? They would never hear the end of it in the halls of the Fang.

But most importantly, with pre-measurement there's no reason you should ever find yourself 11 inches away from an enemy unit. If you do that, that's on you.

You can fire the bolters, and if you do so you cannot charge, would be my understanding. *Edit: I forgot Grey Slayers can shoot their bolters and charge, ignore this part.*

As you say, there is a rule for retreating from combat if you cannot harm the foe, but there is no rule saying you can't charge a foe in the first place if you can't harm them.

The only way would be if you rapid fired the plasma component of a combi-bolter, or shot a unit with your bolters that is further than 12" away, since you can only charge a unit you shot at. Which is kind of an absurd rule but whatever. 

except Grey Slayers have Warriors Mettle , which allows them  to  fire their bolters and then charge. 

"If they are able": You aren't able to charge a different unit than the unit you target in the shooting phase. Distance isn't the only requirement to charging. 

• 2 weeks later...

Blooc Claws use to have a similar rule. The FAQ that came out to address this basically said that you could not do an action that would cause you to break the rule forcing you to charge.

Old ruling, but standard was that you could not.

Archived