HH Book 44: The Crimson King

hopkins

A bit sad to see old-timers like McNeill and Abnett almost stop working for BL...even though I only ever liked one McNeill work, ATS, I likes it very much and it was the first HH novel after the opening trilogy.

If you ever want to give him another shot (I too am not a big fan of most of his HH work, ATS notwithstanding), his "Nouns of Mars" trilogy is *very* enjoyable, and very grand. Highly recommended, far more to my tastes than most of his HH things.

Otherwise, very excited for CK.

Well, I think a Wolf Cull novella should be paired with Weregeld.

Wolf King happens after Scars (beginning of Alaxxes) and before Vengeful Spirit (Russ getting some rest on Terra)

Then there's PoH (Russ patrolling outer marches of Sol, planning to strike out soon) and then the actual Wolf Cull (at the hands of Traitors led by SoH)

I suppose you could throw in Wolf King as the first story, since technically the AL were culling the SW and it fits the theme of SW getting beaten up.

I think a few new short stories would make sense, to flesh out the gaps, e.g. more about Russ' time on Terra and his interactions with Dorn and Valdor, Russ' final decision to leave Sol and head out to seek Horus

They won't print Weregeld twice in the numbered series, so that isn't going to happen. Thematically it makes sense, but then Russ's part is over by Weregeld. He is knocked out and only has a few lines of dialogue, the rest is handled by Corax. Wolf Cull needs to tell the story leading up to that point, nothing more beyond or into that.

I'd expect a short story to explain the gap between Vengeful Spirit and PoH's departure, before kicking off Wolf Cull from there. And then there's potential for dealing with the SW/DA dynamics post-rescue at Alaxxes but pre-VS. The "oh we left Terra to find Horus" can be summed up quickly and reference the books that showcase the situation. Not like they show very much of it at any rate.

They won't print Weregeld twice in the numbered series, so that isn't going to happen.

True...but a Cull anthology wouldn't necessarily be numbered (and BL is known to re-release), no?

That said, yesh...I think it's unlikely Weregeld gets published twice in two HH anthologies. That would be a bit crazy.

And then there's potential for dealing with the SW/DA dynamics post-rescue at Alaxxes but pre-VS.

This would be great

Why would a Cull anthology *not* be numbered? The only non-numbered entries to date are the Betrayal at Calth short novels, which were more down to corporate decision than Black Library's direction. They're sideshows to other existing events, whereas the Wolf Cull is a big part of the Gauntlet.

They have also never released a story in two print collections, as far as I am aware and the HH is concerned. The obvious expection are the recent Omnibus editions (Crusade's End, the Razing of Prospero, The Last Phoenix).

It is just a bit inconvenient that Weregeld "spoils" the outcome of the Cull, but we also knew various other things in the series before they got proper explanations later on.

Being a selfish Raven, anyone think we may see what was implied about Nykona Sharrowkyn and Magnus' plan for him according to Alpharius? Always want more Ravens. :ph34r.:

What book is that from?

I think it was the Seventh Serpent short.

I don't wanna see the wolf cull as a part of other novel.

Sw don't have much novel of their own, so we need whole story arc of 'Wolf Cull' with Sw legion's point of view.

Yeah I would like to see an in-depth look at the reasoning behind Russ's decision to leave Terra.

Plus perhaps it could be expanded into a campaign of sorts similar to what the Khan did? That would be pretty cool.

Yeah I would like to see an in-depth look at the reasoning behind Russ's decision to leave Terra.

Yeah...even after Alaxxes, there should have been a significant number of SW.

The decision to leave Terra and Dorn's reaction need some screen time

I also wonder how long Russ was in Sol

Plus perhaps it could be expanded into a campaign of sorts similar to what the Khan did? That would be pretty cool.

At the very least, there should be several battles, not just Yarant I think

*heavy breathing*

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/Product/DefaultBL/xlarge/BLPROCESSED-The-Crimson-King-A5HB.jpg

Book 44: The Crimson King

The Horus Heresy Book 44

Exiled, hunted and reviled, the Thousand Sons Legion are adrift – as is their primarch, Magnus. But with his power and personality fracturing, drastic action is needed by the Legion if they are to avoid losing their gene-father forever.

READ IT BECAUSE

Graham McNeill's long awaited follow-up to A Thousand Sons is finally here! It sets Magnus and his Legion firmly on the road to treachery and lays the groundwork for the infamous acts that will curse them forever.

THE STORY

After the razing of Prospero, Magnus the Red spirited the Thousand Sons away to the aptly un-named Planet of the Sorcerers, deep within the Eye of Terra. Removed from the concerns of the galaxy at large and regarding the Warmaster’s unfolding Heresy with cold detachment, he has dedicated his hollow existence to the preservation of all the knowledge once held in the great libraries of Tizca, should mankind ever seek such enlightenment again. But his sons can see the change in their primarch – he is a broken soul, whose mind and memories are slipping away into the tumult of the warp. Only by returning to the scenes of his greatest triumphs and tragedies can they hope to restore him, and allow the Crimson King to be crowned anew by the Ruinous Powers.

Magnus seems really out of propotion.

Ran

*heavy breathing*

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/Product/DefaultBL/xlarge/BLPROCESSED-The-Crimson-King-A5HB.jpg

Book 44: The Crimson King

The Horus Heresy Book 44

Exiled, hunted and reviled, the Thousand Sons Legion are adrift – as is their primarch, Magnus. But with his power and personality fracturing, drastic action is needed by the Legion if they are to avoid losing their gene-father forever.

READ IT BECAUSE

Graham McNeill's long awaited follow-up to A Thousand Sons is finally here! It sets Magnus and his Legion firmly on the road to treachery and lays the groundwork for the infamous acts that will curse them forever.

THE STORY

After the razing of Prospero, Magnus the Red spirited the Thousand Sons away to the aptly un-named Planet of the Sorcerers, deep within the Eye of Terra. Removed from the concerns of the galaxy at large and regarding the Warmaster’s unfolding Heresy with cold detachment, he has dedicated his hollow existence to the preservation of all the knowledge once held in the great libraries of Tizca, should mankind ever seek such enlightenment again. But his sons can see the change in their primarch – he is a broken soul, whose mind and memories are slipping away into the tumult of the warp. Only by returning to the scenes of his greatest triumphs and tragedies can they hope to restore him, and allow the Crimson King to be crowned anew by the Ruinous Powers.

Magnus seems really out of propotion.

Ran

he must have tiny legs

Guest Drekkan

I don't wanna see the wolf cull as a part of other novel.

Sw don't have much novel of their own, so we need whole story arc of 'Wolf Cull' with Sw legion's point of view.

Once a tactical genius acting as a barbarian, Leman Russ have been turned into an halfwit superman..

Same goes with the VI th legion, from nobles north to world eaters rejects.

As expectation is the first step to deception, I won't hold my breath on the "wolf cull" or anything.

Posted · Hidden by WarriorFish, March 6, 2017 - No reason given
Hidden by WarriorFish, March 6, 2017 - No reason given

When Magnus was soul-shattered, his legs apparently split off

He forgot to teleport his legs

I just have a picture in my head of Magnus without legs puched around in a cart :biggrin.:

Yeah...even after Alaxxes, there should have been a significant number of SW.

Even after Yarant, there should still be a significant number of SW. After all, they're supposed to play the cavalry, along with the DAs, at Terra, plus a hefty chunk of the Scouring. If the finale gets retconned that hard, much unhappiness will ensue.

Oh yes. Stuff like this really is where the seams show in the HH series imo. They had a simple, direct story that took place over a relatively short timeframe. The Legion dispositions made sense in that context. But then they expanded (or emphasised, 7 years seemed like a retcon to me, but I maybe wrong) it to a seven year campaign, with Legions hopping all over the place doing stuff. But they're still constrained by the same finale. Which makes stuff like SWs at Terra, and BAs getting there in time, but Ultras don't, problematic to say the least.

Oh yes. Stuff like this really is where the seams show in the HH series imo. They had a simple, direct story that took place over a relatively short timeframe. The Legion dispositions made sense in that context. But then they expanded (or emphasised, 7 years seemed like a retcon to me, but I maybe wrong) it to a seven year campaign, with Legions hopping all over the place doing stuff. But they're still constrained by the same finale. Which makes stuff like SWs at Terra, and BAs getting there in time, but Ultras don't, problematic to say the least.

Emphasized.  The dates of Isstvan and The Siege of Terra have not changed since their inception.  It's just that before, there was nothing happening in between them, and so there was this assumption that they happened one after another.  Events like Yarant and Alaxxes had existed independently and were described as having occurred in bits of other legion's backstory, with the Wolves being used as a Worf effect by different authors simultaneously, but there was never a set timeline of when these events were occurring.  Hell, from my understanding there wasn't even a set timeline 10 books into the Horus Heresy series!  In trying to integrate all the old lore, it required accepting all of these different times that someone beat the Wolves during the Heresy.