Tzen's Sisters of Battle

Tzen

This will be another slow burning thread as and when I choose to do another sisters model.

I was mulling over what to paint next and this miniature has been calling to me for ages. So decided to go for it!

http://www.golden-throne.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/sob1.jpg

http://www.golden-throne.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/sob2.jpg

Only really finished the head area so far, just thought i'd share! :D

I'm not 100% certain yet as I am playing with the palette. Once I have the scheme right I will check to see if it matches a current Order or I will make up my own! :D

Face and the red are honestly just layers of paint. I used a bit of stippling to add some depth to the lower and raised areas, but it's nothing out of the ordinary. Bugmans glow base, then you can literally choose any layer you want after that getting progressively lighter. The key isn't to smother it in washes, but to use it selectively. 

The red is the same, layered up from mehphiston, black wash, then mephiston, evil sunz then wild rider. Pull it all together with a toned down red glaze! :D

First of all this is looking awesome so far - stil love these models even though they are pretty old now.

And I think the sword is perfect. The mini itself is painted in a warm palette so by havng the sword in a cool palette seperates it from the rest of the model which focusses the eye back to the Sister.

However I think the reason you're not sure about it is it breaks the "triangle" rule, but this can't be helped due to the pose.

Have you got as far as thinking what you're doing with the bases yet? I think keeping the sister herself in a warm palette but paint the base in a cool palette, some snow maybe? That will keep the eye back to the centre, away from the sword and tie both together?

Anyway, just random musings, I think it looks great and I think the sword is perfect. :smile.:

Edited by StraightSilver

Ta chaps, glad you like!

I think it's because I haven't finished the rest of the model that I think the sword stands out too much. I think it's painted pretty well, I just think the colour of it is so different to the rest of it.

As a bade I was thinking a marble effect. It's something I haven't done before and I like the idea of my dangerous ladies defending a shrine world! 

I love the blade, but I don't think the colour is right. :blush.:

I reckon the blade needs to be a "rainy grey" (i.e., grey with a little purple in it), and the slight hint of sky blue needs to be in the pale highlights, with a final edge highlight of white as you've done. The red present in the rainy grey is what will help it harmonise with the reds on the rest of the model. Also, the hint of red in the shadows suggests reflection from the model/ground onto the blade, and the slight blue suggests reflection from the sky; although it's not SENMM, it still uses incorporates of the ideas behind it.

So... even though it looks good as-is, it's up to you if you want to try again I guess! :teehee:

I may go down that route Gilbear. I will just see when I am done. 

I still can't decide what colour to do her cloak. I may do it a dark leather colour, but it will prolly clash with the red robe. Maybe white... himmm...

Edited by Tzen

I hear ya!

Yeah, I may change the sword to that, if I do though, I would also have to do the gun int he same style!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

My guess is that I will try every colour under the sun for the cloak! 

Another WIP pic.

http://www.golden-throne.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/sb4.jpg

Loads of work yet to do, but now there is more colour added to the model I feel less dubious about the sword!

I may still add OSL to the sword once I finish her backpack and the flames on top of it!

Thanks chaps! I still can't decide what to do with the sword (if anything) so may just end up leaving it. I have to do her base yet, which I think I may do as a polished marble surface. But not sure on that either! :D

http://www.golden-throne.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/sob5.jpg

http://www.golden-throne.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/sob5.1.jpg

There's some black blobs on her loin cloth that I need to tidy up still. I tried to do a pattern but decided it took too much away from the model and was too busy. Just need to layer the red up properly again over it.

I love sisters of battle but hate painting metal models! :D