Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Clavis and non-Walker vehicle WS

Watch Master Clavis Deathwatch

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

MeltaRange

MeltaRange

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 41 posts

Hello Everyone.  First post here - converted long time WFB/AoS player to 40k and I'm busily building and converting a Xenos Inquisitorial and Deathwatch force. 

I've been searching the internet, as well as these forums, for the answer to this question but I can't seem to find it.

How does the Watch Master's Clavis work with non-walker vehicles?  The BRB says that non-walker/chariot vehicles are treated as WS1, and the Clavis says that it reduces the WS of all vehicles in 6" by -1.  So does that mean they are WS0, and thus auto-hit in Assault?

Thanks and apologies if I missed the answer in an obvious place.

Moostick

Moostick

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 252 posts

The BRB elaborates that the mechanic behind the chart is that if the WS of the defender is lower than the WS of the attacker, then hits connect on a 3+.

So I would say no, you still need to roll a 3+ to hit.

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 10,824 posts

You only auto hit immobilized vehicles. I think you're always going to hit on 3's but to be honest I don't know that for certainty. 

• Vel'Cona likes this

Brother apocalyptic

Brother apocalyptic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 738 posts
Ws I believe can be lowered to 0, and thus I think you autohit. Gonna have to doublecheck on it though

MeltaRange

MeltaRange

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 41 posts
Thanks for the replies!

Indeed, the BRB says on page 9: "a model with WS 0 is incapacitated; they are hit automatically in close combat..."

The Clavis states on page 107: "subtract 1 from the weapon skill, ballistic skill, and initiative characteristics of any enemy vehicle within 6" of a model equipped with a clavis"

And on BRB pg 78: "accordingly, all vehicles are treated as being WS 1"

Seems pretty clear-cut on the surface, but that whole "characteristic" word could be the key to a dissenting argument since the vehicle doesn't actually have the characteristic, it's just treated as if it did.

I think it's an important question because it would give the Watch Master along side HTH vets a huge boost against super heavies. I'll probably play it as they are WS0 until it's FAQ

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Watch Master, Clavis, Deathwatch

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users