Legio Custodes Weaknesses?

The Red Angel

Seekers with scorpion shells do well, 10 shots with reroll to hit, strength 5 and shred and ap2 causes 7.2 wounds before invulnerable

Find the points to squeeze an augury scanner via apothecary into the squad and they can intercept deep striking custodes with those too

...I think everyone here missed a huge glaring weakness of custodes.

Primarchs. As long as you don't run the primarch at the shield captain, most of the primarchs will chew through custodes like butter.

Fulgrim outspeeds them and has instant death, alpharius same thing. Roberte has str10 as for most the other primarchs in spades. Take assault transports and get the charge off and primarchs are nightmares!

Primarchs. As long as you don't run the primarch at the shield captain, most of the primarchs will chew through custodes like butter.

Fulgrim outspeeds them and has instant death, alpharius same thing. Roberte has str10 as for most the other primarchs in spades. Take assault transports and get the charge off and primarchs are nightmares!

While primarchs do kill them some.much better than others. Angrons actually one of the worst at it due to no instant death/s10/sever life. But even then a lot of them do lack enough attacks and hitting power to effectively deal with large custodes units.

Like a primarch is good vs custodes until he either meets shield captain or a unit he fails to kill I'm which case custodes will destroy them.

Also primarchs should outmatch most of them as they are the most expensive combat monsters in the game and take up a low.

While primarchs do kill them some.much better than others. Angrons actually one of the worst at it due to no instant death/s10/sever life. But even then a lot of them do lack enough attacks and hitting power to effectively deal with large custodes units.

Like a primarch is good vs custodes until he either meets shield captain or a unit he fails to kill I'm which case custodes will destroy them.

Also primarchs should outmatch most of them as they are the most expensive combat monsters in the game and take up a low.

I specifically didn't mention angry ron but he does dish out tons of hits.

I doubt you will find many custode players with larger than 3 to 5 man squads. Their cost per unit means it's better to just take more units than to add to them. Fulgrim will walk through a squad of guardians with ease. So will Mortarion.

I would drown them with heavy bolters. Nothing like ignoring armor a good portion of the time and pooring on waaaay too many wounds. Huge bonus for the sniper heavy bolters for precision shots at fists and the like.

Angron does still have murderous strike, so he's doing a better job at killing them than Fulgrim.

Fulgrim has ID on a 4+, he does quite well. He killed 7 guardian/hetaeron before I could use valdor to poke him down. I also rolled really really good on my invuls and Valdor still was down to only 1 wound.

id on a 5+ nor 4+ 

Angron does still have murderous strike, so he's doing a better job at killing them than Fulgrim.

Fulgrim has ID on a 4+, he does quite well. He killed 7 guardian/hetaeron before I could use valdor to poke him down. I also rolled really really good on my invuls and Valdor still was down to only 1 wound.

Valdor is ridiculous. Angron should be nailing him but he likely poos all over Angron.

Again, my opponent generally runs 3 5man guardians and 2 shield squads so far. A list i've been looking at for a while is a Justaerin army. 5 5man squads with 2 power fists in each squad. A leviathan with grav flux and siege drill in a pod. twin Lascannon/mm javelins, damocles, most, Abaddon and obvs horus.

If my opponent deepstrikes, I'll get the charge off first, furious charge, strength 6 power axes and str10 powerfist. Admittedly going last but 2w each and higher inv than the standard custode.

Horus to hopefully wade through troublesome blobs and a potential counter for WHEN custodes get the EoM LOW.

Their vehicles, while certainly nasty, are still more vulnerable I think than the Custodes themselves. Just by the virtue of being vehicles in this game system. Destroy there few hover tanks floating around if you can and them try and kite the big nasty ones and tar pit them if that's an option.

Again, my opponent generally runs 3 5man guardians and 2 shield squads so far. A list i've been looking at for a while is a Justaerin army. 5 5man squads with 2 power fists in each squad. A leviathan with grav flux and siege drill in a pod. twin Lascannon/mm javelins, damocles, most, Abaddon and obvs horus.

If my opponent deepstrikes, I'll get the charge off first, furious charge, strength 6 power axes and str10 powerfist. Admittedly going last but 2w each and higher inv than the standard custode.

Horus to hopefully wade through troublesome blobs and a potential counter for WHEN custodes get the EoM LOW.

Justaerin are Strength 9 with fists on the charge - you double the strength before adding bonuses.

Seekers are the most reliable counter, esepcially with augury scanners. Plasma Devastator squads with an apothecary with augury scanner are also very scary for them because of deepstrike rules. Grav flux bombard leviathans also deserve a mention.

Seekers are the most reliable counter, esepcially with augury scanners. Plasma Devastator squads with an apothecary with augury scanner are also very scary for them because of deepstrike rules. Grav flux bombard leviathans also deserve a mention.

No. Seekers are not the most efficient counter. They will kill one guy and hurt another one with their volley, while being able to be erased in one shooting volley or one melee round. Any kind of templates are weak against 3" coherency and their multiple wounds mean you will do like one wound and kill nothing.

No. Seekers are not the most efficient counter. They will kill one guy and hurt another one with their volley, while being able to be erased in one shooting volley or one melee round. Any kind of templates are weak against 3" coherency and their multiple wounds mean you will do like one wound and kill nothing.
So.... the end is nigh?

Nah, as with everything in 30K, you can resolve any problems with a gentleman's agreement. The Custodes actually make for fun opponents/last stand heroes for scenarios. It's just the amount of things that are effective against them is very small, so you need some kind of balancing factor.  It's not like anyone plays pick-up 30K anyway. :P

I think a good thing to remember is that while the loyalists got the Talons list, the traitors are due the Dark Mechanicum next... And Daemons.

That's when the tables will probably even out a touch.

Dark mech will be cool but there is also a lot of precedent set on mech power by what is currently available.

Also Samus and friend while cool are definitely lackluster hopefully signus brings a real Daemon list.

I think a good thing to remember is that while the loyalists got the Talons list, the traitors are due the Dark Mechanicum next... And Daemons.

That's when the tables will probably even out a touch.

Dark mech will be cool but there is also a lot of precedent set on mech power by what is currently available.

Also Samus and friend while cool are definitely lackluster hopefully signus brings a real Daemon list.

An actual Horus Heresy style daemon list would be awesome especially with new heresy style weapons and units

Taking Plasma detedero could be a nice way of getting some more plasma shots in especially since I usually take one anyway

AP2, and lots of it!

Withershadow has pretty much covered most of it. They're a scalpel that will eventually blenderise everything you have unless you bring the correct tools. 

- Starting point would be disabling their mobility. Get rid of their skimmers and jetbikes as a priority, they're extremely well-armed and annoying. Everything else is infantry speed. 

- Use cheap disposable infantry to waste their time. Their skimmer tanks are designed to handle this issue (as well as Instant Death robots/multi-wound infantry), so if you've killed their tanks they can't deal with hordes too well. Legion are at a bit of a disadvantage here unless you bring Allies. 

- Blast marker weapons are pretty much useless, so I'd avoid artillery. Lascannon and plasma gun will be best, along with any other cost-effective AP2 you can bring. On a hilarious side note, phosphex mortars are total trash against the entire army (the phosphex does nothing to their infantry, and their tanks have flare shielding so the shatter shells can't hurt them either). 

- Cortus Dreads are pretty neato. They can get lucky with a meltabomb or sentinel blade, but otherwise you should trade well (kill 2-3 Custodians, die to solarite gauntlets). The advantage here is they're cheap and you can bring Talons of them in Elite. They're worth about 2 Custodians each factoring in respective upgrades, so as long as you bring other tools to kill their tanks, you should have a decent expendable hard counter. 

For Mechanicum, on Myrmidon Destructors I'd actually recommend photon thruster over grav-imploder. Simply because grav-imploder puts you way too close to their frontline. You'll still drop 2-3 Custodians with the Preferred Enemy boosted thruster shots. Hiding in a Bunker is a good idea too, Custodians have a lot of nasty long range weaponry on their vehicles. Darkfire Castellax will do reasonably well against the infantry, adrathic/heliothermic weapons are painful though. Bees will blow up their expensive skimmers just fine, as will arc rifle Peltasts or Hoplites. And of course, trusty Pure Thought Thralls will clog charge lanes and generally annoy them by being a waste of time. Mechanicum melee units are completely outclassed though. 

Solar Auxilia are going to have issues dealing with the Custodian skimmers, and Veletaris don't do much to Custodian infantry. Militia have Rending Cultist spam but are otherwise completely outclassed. Both the human factions are gonna have a rough time, their usual solutions don't work. 

Grav pushes 8 wounds (from a unit of 5) past shielded custodes, killing a min sized unit, which is so far the favored type. Or leaving hetaerons with 1 wound, also good.

Halve that result with photons; they don't kill quite enough for the price. 

Custodes are going to be close and in your face, but your destructors shouldn't be able to be charged if you plop tech thralls in front of you

Archived