Legio Custodes Weaknesses?

The Red Angel

As above, I suggest  investing in some Plasma Spam, Legion support Squads and Heavy support squads come to mind,  Vindicators are another solid choice for Ap2 goodness. 

Side note: I suspect the bane of all Custodius heavy lists will be Ordo-reductor war convenients, who will spam phospex medusas, siege batteries, myrmidons and vultarax (with 3 shot haywire guns) for the win.

The Reaping has some potential as you can put Rad Grenades on everything. Its still going to be a hard fight, but if you can get multiple power fists in a fight you could pop a few Custodes round 1.

I had mentioned something of the like, the reaping let's you do fun things to your flamers too?

Either way it's about slamming as many wounds down as possible, whilst giving yourself the best way of doing it. Make your donations to RNGesus

DA running Ravenwing Protocol could potentially work pretty well. With all their toys they're pretty well suited to take on the custodes, the special grenades drop WS & I iirc, and with rad in every bike squad you drop them down to just WS4 T4 I4 terminators with 2 wounds. You'll hit them on a 3+ in cc due to legion rules, and with bikes you're going to be the one charging. Molecular Acid HB will soften them up as well.

Following up on the Ravenwing suggestion, a Ravenwing force made up of two squads of Skyslayers with Multimeltas, a command squad on jetbikes with fists and rad grenades, and the rest of the points spent on jetbikes with molecular acid heavy bolters should work well. The meltas and fists can tank hunt, the fist squad can also pick off straggler squads of Custodes, and the heavy bolters can force tons of saves (hopefully a good deal of them being invulnerables). Also, by having all jetbikes, it should be easy to avoid getting into any combats you'd rather avoid.

Had a recent game versus the much dreaded Custodes with my Blood Angels Templar list. BA Moritat with twin Inferno pistols did a number on one five man enemy unit... 11 hits and 10 wounds... got them down to a reasonable number. Next turn Destroyers charge in after tossing a phosphex bomb along with the a Chaplain leading power fisting terminators for the tag team. Spartan had tank shocked to pack them in nice and tight. No TankTribune luckily but Valdor was a pain... a couple Blades of Perdition finally managed to bring him last turn. Fight fire with fire.

That's good. A lot of the counters seem to be for one unit. The Typhon is a safe counter as Custodes don't really have much that can take down a superheavy in one turn outside of allies.

They definitely can kill it in one turn but probbably only in melee or if they have a lot of Jetbikes.

As mentioned above I think the Xiphon is actually looking very strong vs custodes. Theyou have next to 0 AA and the ignores jink and the 3 pen rolls is really good, as well as fast flyers being able to dodge flare shields is great to.

Dark angels -> 3x 10 devastators with acid bolters and add augury scams to units, all hidden in an Aquila fortress... And than hope for the best. Oh, and jetbikes with acid shells. And dreds with acid shells. Acid shells all the way.

Dark angels -> 3x 10 devastators with acid bolters and add augury scams to units, all hidden in an Aquila fortress... And than hope for the best. Oh, and jetbikes with acid shells. And dreds with acid shells. Acid shells all the way.

Ravenwing with acid shell Jetbikes is defintely what custodes would hate. You are to maneuverable to try deepstrike next to and you can actually kill custodes pretty easily.

Grav pushes 8 wounds (from a unit of 5) past shielded custodes, killing a min sized unit, which is so far the favored type. Or leaving hetaerons with 1 wound, also good.

Halve that result with photons; they don't kill quite enough for the price. 

Custodes are going to be close and in your face, but your destructors shouldn't be able to be charged if you plop tech thralls in front of you

Oh yeah grav will beat them a lot more reliably. But with photons you'll have more shooting phases, whereas grav need at least a turn to get in range, and they'll get hated on hardcore once they pop one squad. 

The issue with Tech-Thralls is Custodes have quite excellent anti-infantry clearance on their tanks, Aquilon Terminators and Agamentus jetbikes. So whilst I'd still take them to clog charge lanes and be annoying, I'd prefer to hang back well out of melee range in a Bunker. 

As above, I suggest  investing in some Plasma Spam, Legion support Squads and Heavy support squads come to mind,  Vindicators are another solid choice for Ap2 goodness. 

Plasma squads are okay, I suppose the issue there is you'll need to get them into rapid-fire range ASAP. Drop pods aren't really an option due to arae shrikes, and they'll blow up Rhinos pretty easily. Alpha Legion infiltrating them works, Outflanking Vets with combi-plasma are also good. Lascannon heavy squads are generally pretty good, overload their flare shielded+Jinking tanks (Iron Havoks with their -1 to cover saves are especially nice), and you still grind wounds off their infantry. 

Side note: I suspect the bane of all Custodius heavy lists will be Ordo-reductor war convenients, who will spam phospex medusas, siege batteries, myrmidons and vultarax (with 3 shot haywire guns) for the win.

Arae-shrikes make the Medusas kinda bad. Probably go for quad-lascannon or Demolisher cannon instead. Phosphex is bad. Myrmidons are pretty good as a hard counter, they're just ungodly expensive and if rolling with grav-imploders you need to deliver them safely. 

Vultarax will hard counter the expensive Dreads and skimmer tanks quite well, but they're otherwise very meh against 2+ infantry. 

Knight atrapos or lancer?

Either works fine. They're gonna have to get lucky with their single meltabomb attack to stop you, D attacks vape Custodians quite reliably once you get in melee. 

The Reaping has some potential as you can put Rad Grenades on everything. Its still going to be a hard fight, but if you can get multiple power fists in a fight you could pop a few Custodes round 1.

I wouldn't rate your chances. Custodians are absolute melee gods, they will wipe the floor with most Legion units on average dice. Stay out of melee with them if you can, at least whittle them down first so you only have to fight 1-2 of them at a time. 

DA running Ravenwing Protocol could potentially work pretty well. With all their toys they're pretty well suited to take on the custodes, the special grenades drop WS & I iirc, and with rad in every bike squad you drop them down to just WS4 T4 I4 terminators with 2 wounds. You'll hit them on a 3+ in cc due to legion rules, and with bikes you're going to be the one charging. Molecular Acid HB will soften them up as well.

Again, they will vape your infantry in melee. Preternatural Skill means they're still same WS as you even with stasis nerf, so they go to I5 and kill you before you can swing. 

Ravenwing can kite quite well, you can avoid melee pretty much all game and hit them with acid shells till they fail armour/invul. Don't engage in melee unless you massively outnumber them though. The guardian spear dudes drop anyone on the charge and any PA squad standing still, Sentinel squads will be packing S10 fists and shields. Hetaeron will probably be one squad at most, but they're pretty much impossible to deal with in melee, even Primarchs die to them. 

Something to keep in mind is that Custodians can 'Look Out Sir!' wounds around their squad due to all being characters. So unless you hit them with S10 or some other Instant Death weapon, they can shift wounds around and screw with your combat math quite well. Especially if they pass wounds to the Shield Captain/Tribune. 

Bear in mind the LoS! FAQ made it so that yes, you can shunt wounds, but you can't daisy chain them across all models before one dies. So it's not quite as bad as it first seems with that.

Edit: I explained that so poorly. Here:

Q: The ‘Look Out, Sir’ rule states that Wounds must be allocated to the closest model in the unit to the character. What if you have multiple models that are equidistant? Do you have to allocate all ‘Look Out, Sir’ hits to a particular model until it is removed, or can you shift the Wounds to other equidistant models (assuming, of course, that they have multiple Wounds)?

A: You must apply all Wounds to the same model until

it is removed, or until another model is closer to the character for whatever reason.

So can Valdor 1 on 1 a primarch?

A friend of mine used his Custodes against my Emperor's Children. He ran Valdor, I ran Fulgrim. I got a good first round of wounds in and he failed all his saves. Killed him in one round of combat. 

Now, the chance of that happening again, is nearly zero. He's tough. I wouldn't dare fight him with anything less than a Primarch to be honest. He's also insanely cheap for what he does. With that said, I don't think he's a match for any Primarch (bless the gods), if even Fulgrim has a good chance beating him. Maybe Alpharius has a bit of a rough time against him, but the rest should be fine, I'd think. 

Archived