Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Terminator Captains

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Kilamandaros

Kilamandaros

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13 posts

Hi all, quick query - I was looking at kitting a Captain out in Terminator armour with a power sword and the shield eternal relic for a very templar-esque Marshall with sword and shield to lead my army, however on battlescribe it says you have to replace the power sword with the shield, you can't replace the storm bolter. In the codex it does not seem to specify. Don't want to shell out for a Termie captain if I can't use him in this way, I'll just buy a regular captain and maybe give him artificer armour.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Spyros

Spyros

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 73 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Angels

Codex Adeptus Astartes says that while in Terminator armour a captain may replace his power sword with a relic blade. He may choose a chapter relic and that replaces one weapon. No other restriction.

"The Chapter's leaders point to their honour roll, which is second to none in victories won in the name of the Emperor." , Imperial Armour Vol.2, Baal Predator entry

"Whatever the Blood Angels' flaws, nowhere in the Imperium can truer servants of the Emperor be found." , Blood Angels Codex 5th ed.

"Although feared and mistrusted by those they protect, the Blood Angels continue to smash the Imperium's foes, compiling a battle history second to none." ,

Dark Millennium 7th ed.

johnyocum

johnyocum

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 298 posts
  • Chapter Name: Guardians Of The Covenant

Army Builder just requires you to un-select one of the weapons to add the Shield Eternal.  Just un-select the storm bolter and add the Shield.

• Helias Tancred likes this

Ciler

Ciler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,057 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars

Hi all, quick query - I was looking at kitting a Captain out in Terminator armour with a power sword and the shield eternal relic for a very templar-esque Marshall with sword and shield to lead my army, however on battlescribe it says you have to replace the power sword with the shield, you can't replace the storm bolter. In the codex it does not seem to specify. Don't want to shell out for a Termie captain if I can't use him in this way, I'll just buy a regular captain and maybe give him artificer armour.

Never trust Battlescribe, in doubt, always refer to the codex.

A Captain or Chapter Master in Terminator armour may only take items from the Terminator Weapons, Special Issue Wargear and/or Chapter Relics lists.

CHAPTER RELICS
Only one of each Chapter Relic may be taken per army. A model may replace one weapon with one of the following: (-shield eternal)

So there's no problem in swapping the storm bolter.

On a side note, you might want to consider taking a cataphractii armour, as it will allow you to reroll 1s on invuln saves, at the cost of not being able to consolidate after a successful CC or something ?

• Honda and Marshal_Roujakis like this
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. Revelations 6:8
Album link, Thread on the BT subforum

Kilamandaros

Kilamandaros

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13 posts

Must be an error on Battlescribe then, annoying as it'll show my list up as invalid, I might chuck them an email.

Never trust Battlescribe, in doubt, always refer to the codex.

A Captain or Chapter Master in Terminator armour may only take items from the Terminator Weapons, Special Issue Wargear and/or Chapter Relics lists.

CHAPTER RELICS
Only one of each Chapter Relic may be taken per army. A model may replace one weapon with one of the following: (-shield eternal)

So there's no problem in swapping the storm bolter.

On a side note, you might want to consider taking a cataphractii armour, as it will allow you to reroll 1s on invuln saves, at the cost of not being able to consolidate after a successful CC or something ?

It would give him and his unit slow and purposeful, since he'll be leading a unit of assault termies with hammer/shields I think I'd rather be able to run if needed. As you can probably guess from such an expensive unit this army is not aiming to be competitive at all :)

Also, am I correct in thinking that you can take a relic blade and a stormshield/shield eternal?

Honda

Honda

++ HOSTICUS PLAUSTRUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,297 posts

I was going to recommend this as well. Cataphractii armor, Shield Eternal, and a Thunder hammer will make lots of people weep.

• Nyustukyi likes this

gallery_15184_7227_34669.jpg

"All those rumors about us being intolerant and stubborn really just evolved from our history. We're actually just a fun bunch of guys who enjoy burning witches" - Anon

Marshal_Roujakis

Marshal_Roujakis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,193 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars Chapter

It would give him and his unit slow and purposeful, since he'll be leading a unit of assault termies with hammer/shields I think I'd rather be able to run if needed. As you can probably guess from such an expensive unit this army is not aiming to be competitive at all smile.png

Also, am I correct in thinking that you can take a relic blade and a stormshield/shield eternal?

Yes you can, there isn't an issue with loading up your Captain with that. On a side note though, give him a Meltabomb so that he also has a chance to deal damage against Monstrous Creatures and Dreeadnoughts.

'No matter the laurels of victory, no matter the glories others may seek. We are Space Marines, the Adeptus Astartes, the Angels of Death! And more than this.' he said, his voice dropping quiet. 

'We are Black Templars. Victory is its own reward.' - High Marshal Helbrecht - 'The Crusader' - Crusade to the Ghoul Stars -

Spoiler

The Vengeance Crusade Thread

Warhammer 40,000 7th ed. Fast and Furious Version

Acebaur

Acebaur

++ VENATORIS MALUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,485 posts
Pretty sure you can't take melta bombs on TDA armor

"There can be no meeting of minds and no understanding with such beings as exist in the dark places of the galaxy.There is simply a choice: defeat them, or be defeated by them. And Defeat them we will"
- Chaplain Emmerich

++++ The Jericho Crusade ++++

CrusadeExpansionIXCompletion_zps4f00cd3f Chaos%20at%20the%20Gates%202%20CompletioCrusade-of-Wrath-Banner_zpskditgcqh.gifCrusadeExpansionVMedallion_zps88e43d63.jCrusadeExpansionVIIMedallion_zpsfda1ee3bgallery_29004_6198_8099_zpsb5dd686e.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_2146_zpsoudrnnrwChallenge%20Victor%20Small.jpg_zps92z4io

"Let our feet, steel clad, pressed into the soils of this alien land, remark on our passing. What need have we of plaudit and praise? No matter the laurel of victory, no matter the glories others may seek.
We are the Black Templars. Victory is it's own reward."

- High Marshal Helbrecht

Canadian_F_H

Canadian_F_H

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,429 posts
Also a Thunderhammer with 3-4 attacks isn't terrible against MCs and vehices is it? So why drop to 1 MB attack?

AndrewChristlieb

AndrewChristlieb

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,488 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templar
Yeah that hammer will make pâté out of just about anything, he did mention taking a sword though so... His squad will likely have several hammers in case I imagine.

<p>I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.gallery_29004_10383_16333.jpggallery_48988_10069_16537.pngCrusade-of-Wrath-Banner_zpskditgcqh.gifgallery_29004_10383_4314.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_7586.pnggallery_81492_11492_3954.jpgsml_gallery_81492_11492_822.png

Kilamandaros

Kilamandaros

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13 posts

Yea 5 ATs with hammers should be pretty good against armour I feel :) I definitely want him fighting at initiative to get some damage in before tha hammers so they don't get overwhelmed.

Marshal_Roujakis

Marshal_Roujakis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,193 posts

Pretty sure you can't take melta bombs on TDA armor

Yeah he can, Meltabombs are under Special Issue Wargear which does not get restricted by wearing Terminator Armour, I always pack one on my Terminator Chaplain, since he can't get Thunder Hammers... he gets better luck than the Thunder Hammer Terminators since he's got AP1... also my Assault Termies are a mix squad of claws and Hammers, so 1 extra MB attack couldn't hurt...

But since OP says he specifically wanted a Sword for his Marshal, then I recommend a Meltabomb just in case...

• Canadian_F_H likes this

'No matter the laurels of victory, no matter the glories others may seek. We are Space Marines, the Adeptus Astartes, the Angels of Death! And more than this.' he said, his voice dropping quiet. 

'We are Black Templars. Victory is its own reward.' - High Marshal Helbrecht - 'The Crusader' - Crusade to the Ghoul Stars -

Spoiler

SCOTT_FRANCIS

SCOTT_FRANCIS

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,497 posts

I thought Relic Blades were two handed, which rule makes Termies use it one handed?

Is it slow and Purposeful?

ETL_2014_Banner_V2_03A_Custos_Fidei.jpgETL_2016_Banner_02_Oath_Breaker.jpg

KhorneHunter57x

KhorneHunter57x

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,716 posts
  • Chapter Name: Ultramarines, Black Templars

I thought Relic Blades were two handed, which rule makes Termies use it one handed?

Is it slow and Purposeful?

All that the Two-Handed rule does is deny the two-weapon +1A bonus - see pg. 174 of the BRB.

It has no bearing on the number of weapons a model can carry (and a few models, such as Honor Guard, can end up carrying three or even four 'hands' worth of wargear).

• SCOTT_FRANCIS likes this

"...for all the structures and guidelines the Codex Astartes provides for a Space Marine Chapter, its most valuable lessons are those on versatility and adaptation." -pg. 4, Codex Supplement: Angels of Death

I prefer to think that bolt weapons do, in fact, use cased ammunition - mostly for the reasons you state. It looks cool. They jingle when they hit hard ground. It's like the Emperor's wind chimes.

Acebaur

Acebaur

++ VENATORIS MALUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,485 posts

Yea 5 ATs with hammers should be pretty good against armour I feel :) I definitely want him fighting at initiative to get some damage in before tha hammers so they don't get overwhelmed.

Honestly a relic blade is pretty lackluster for him. The extra strength is nice but if you get into a challenge you're not going to be able to cut through 2+ armor. If you want a a sword at initiative then the burning blade is your best bet. You'll have to lose the shield eternal but you'll be swinging on high initiative with S7 and AP2.

Now depending your meta that may not be an issue and the relic blades could work fine.

"There can be no meeting of minds and no understanding with such beings as exist in the dark places of the galaxy.There is simply a choice: defeat them, or be defeated by them. And Defeat them we will"
- Chaplain Emmerich

CrusadeExpansionIXCompletion_zps4f00cd3f Chaos%20at%20the%20Gates%202%20CompletioCrusade-of-Wrath-Banner_zpskditgcqh.gifCrusadeExpansionVMedallion_zps88e43d63.jCrusadeExpansionVIIMedallion_zpsfda1ee3bgallery_29004_6198_8099_zpsb5dd686e.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_2146_zpsoudrnnrwChallenge%20Victor%20Small.jpg_zps92z4io

"Let our feet, steel clad, pressed into the soils of this alien land, remark on our passing. What need have we of plaudit and praise? No matter the laurel of victory, no matter the glories others may seek.

- High Marshal Helbrecht

SCOTT_FRANCIS

SCOTT_FRANCIS

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,497 posts

In my humble opinion...

I still think the Emperors Champion is our best tool for challenges, points for points.

I did a quick comparison the other day and a Castellan (Captain) with a Relic Blade and pistol against an Emperors Champion is close points wise but not ability wise.

Adding more kit to make him better just pushes the cost up more, making the EC more than the obvious choice. The only thing the EC lacks is Eternal Warrior.

Although a Marshall (Chapter Master) with AA, TH and SE is THE beatstick. He scares almost every thing. Give him an apothecary for FNP and you are almost unkillable.     2+ save, 3+ Inv save, 5+ FNP, Eternal Warrior. St 10 AP 2. Oh yes please.

For a Castellan, I would not spend the extra points for the super sword, I would give him normal Power Sword, but I can see the argument for auto defeating AP 2 in challenges. It's just that my answer to that argument is always the EC.

Edited by SCOTT_FRANCIS, 06 March 2017 - 03:37 PM.

ETL_2014_Banner_V2_03A_Custos_Fidei.jpgETL_2016_Banner_02_Oath_Breaker.jpg

Canadian_F_H

Canadian_F_H

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,429 posts
Thunder hammer is S8 not 10...

Also, depending on detatchments or celestine you can use the "alternative black sword relic" which is a regular S:user AP3 powersword. But if you pass a leadership test becomes S+2 AP2... (any other rules?) You should only fail that test 3 out of 36 times (1/12)

Kilamandaros

Kilamandaros

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13 posts

You can't take a normal storm shield with a sword on terminator armour so the Shield Eternal will have to be the relic. Eternal warrior over AP2 any day, his Thunder Hammer retinue can deal with AP2.

I personally feel the EC is overcosted as I've said before, 2 wounds and no EW for 140 points doesn't cut it for me, even in my fluffy army. Yes he can dominate challenges but that's not much help when he's been turned to red mist by a lascannon or any massed small arms. This captain will be my champion in name.

Acebaur

Acebaur

++ VENATORIS MALUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,485 posts

You can't take a normal storm shield with a sword on terminator armour so the Shield Eternal will have to be the relic. Eternal warrior over AP2 any day, his Thunder Hammer retinue can deal with AP2.

I personally feel the EC is overcosted as I've said before, 2 wounds and no EW for 140 points doesn't cut it for me, even in my fluffy army. Yes he can dominate challenges but that's not much help when he's been turned to red mist by a lascannon or any massed small arms. This captain will be my champion in name.

I didn't say you could. But you can ad long as that sword is the Burning Blade ;)

The EC is excellent for his points and one of the best challenge fighters in the game. He shouldn't be tanking lascannon shots or soaking fire. He should be protected by a squad and then used to assassinate enemy characters

- Chaplain Emmerich

- High Marshal Helbrecht

Canadian_F_H

Canadian_F_H

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,429 posts
The EC has never let me down...
  • CaptnRussia likes this

Ciler

Ciler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,057 posts

I think we've had that debate before. The EC has struggled in my local meta at the very least, where everyone has characters that are T5 2+ 3++ and either a reroll or FNP. The problem with the EC is that if he doesn't get that instant death kill on the first round of CC, then he's likely toast because he doesn't have much to soak the counter strike.

And so to go back full circle and to the topic at hand : against a SM captain in terminator armour, thunder hammer and storm shield, the EC is likely to not win (but that's not unreasonable, based on point value) if he doesn't get a kill on the charge.

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. Revelations 6:8
Album link, Thread on the BT subforum

Kilamandaros

Kilamandaros

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13 posts

Yea I disagree, don't think he's worth it.

Anyway my termie captain is on the way, thanks for your input friends.

Marshal_Roujakis

Marshal_Roujakis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,193 posts

I'm pretty sure you can take the Burning Blade w/ a Storm Shield if that's what you want, but if you want a standard Power Sword/Relic Blade + Storm Shield then rules-wise you can't have that since the Shield replaces the Sword in the Wargear list.

It really depends on your meta if the Sword or the Shield is better for you, but then again, I rarely field my own TDA Captain even though he has Cataphractii Armour since the best squad he can be with are either Devastators or tanking shots for Centurions...

although putting him in a squad of Honour Guard would work too since they get Slow and Purposeful which would let me fire full rapid fire Bolter rounds before committing into Assault... and the extra Burning Blade attack from the Banner in addition to rerollable 1's should make him something to be feared... hmmm... whistling.gif

Spoiler

Canadian_F_H

Canadian_F_H

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,429 posts
Well. I built a burning blade storm shield terminator armour Marshal for an ETL. Just looks awesome.
  • Honda and CaptnRussia like this

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,188 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars/Grey Talons

please do share

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users