Spoilers! Guy Haley's New work in progress BA title

Rafen IX

So I hope you read the prefix to this post, but if not I'm still going to post the majority of this in spoilers as I believe it ties directly from Haley's recent book Dante.

Please don't read these spoilers if you are still reading or intend to read Dante.

You have been warned.

So Dante reads the Visions of Sanguinius scroll. In it it talks about what is almost certainly the great devourer (Tyranids) descending on Baal and a great darkness covering the land. A bright spark flies from Baal to Terra outpacing the darkness. I believe that this points strongly to the destruction of Baal by the Tyranids and the forces of the BA either abandoning Baal to defend Terra or being forced to retreat. If you've read the book and the passage, I'd love to hear others thoughts and opinions.
Edited by Rafen IX

I think the hunger and the darkness are the tyranids and chaos respectively. That makes sense. It seems likely the blood angels will lose Baal and they will be forced to leave it behind. What's not clear is the golden figure. It could be Dante, or the sanguinor, or some random sanguinary guard, or sanguinius himself somehow. I'm curious to see how this turns out. Dante thinks it's him, which leads me to believe it probably isn't. Red (gold) herrings and all that.
Edited by durdle-durdle

I think the hunger and the darkness are the tyranids and chaos respectively. That makes sense. It seems likely the blood angels will lose Baal and they will be forced to leave it behind. What's not clear is the golden figure. It could be Dante, or the sanguinor, or some random sanguinary guard, or sanguinius himself somehow. I'm curious to see how this turns out. Dante thinks it's him, which leads me to believe it probably isn't. Red (gold) herrings and all that.

I think it's either Dante or the Sanguinor. Sanguinius specifically states that the golden warrior is wearing armour 'similar to my herald' which would be the Sanguinor of the time. So that pretty much eliminates the Sanguinor and leaves Dante.

I think it's either Dante or the Sanguinor. Sanguinius specifically states that the golden warrior is wearing armour 'similar to my herald' which would be the Sanguinor of the time. So that pretty much eliminates the Sanguinor and leaves Dante.

Reasonable doubt that the herald/sanguinor has not been the same, or worn the same armour since the heresy - especially given the rather brutal initiation ceremony, still could be either of them. Will not be impressed if Baal falls, they'd best at least take Sanguinius' remains/blood with them.

Edited by Mirbeau

Reasonable doubt that the herald/sanguinor has not been the same, or worn the same armour since the heresy - especially given the rather brutal initiation ceremony, still could be either of them. Will not be impressed if Baal falls, they'd best at least take Sanguinius' remains/blood with them.

In my opinion the Sanguinor is more mysterious than Cypher. He starts as a mortal man, a Sanguinary Guard, chosen to bear the face of Sanguinius and shoulder some of his burdens and be his herald. But later, in the present setting. He literally manifests from light, appears in visions and fights chaos as if he carries a portion of our fathers might. I personally still believe he is one of two things. A Greater/Lesser Daemon of the Emperor/Sanguinius, or a fragment of our fathers soul, left to watch over us.

In my opinion the Sanguinor is more mysterious than Cypher. He starts as a mortal man, a Sanguinary Guard, chosen to bear the face of Sanguinius and shoulder some of his burdens and be his herald. But later, in the present setting. He literally manifests from light, appears in visions and fights chaos as if he carries a portion of our fathers might. I personally still believe he is one of two things. A Greater/Lesser Daemon of the Emperor/Sanguinius, or a fragment of our fathers soul, left to watch over us.
I don't think the first one (that you mentioned) is the Sanguinor we know. I think Sanguinor is more of a title for representative of Sanguinius, and Azkaellon is the current one
Edited by Arkangilos

I think the quotation history on these posts is hilarious - spoilers nested 4-5 deep.

​If the Space Wolves more or less lose Fenris, then nothing is sacred. Which is good! It allows change and shake ups. I think of how Joss Whedon described writing Buffy, to summarize: "I imagine the worst thing that could happen to my characters. Then I think a little longer to figure out how it could be worse. Then I add jokes in the middle." I see Guy Haley doing something like that, but then leaving out the jokes and adding fight scenes.

I think the quotation history on these posts is hilarious - spoilers nested 4-5 deep.

​If the Space Wolves more or less lose Fenris, then nothing is sacred. Which is good! It allows change and shake ups. I think of how Joss Whedon described writing Buffy, to summarize: "I imagine the worst thing that could happen to my characters. Then I think a little longer to figure out how it could be worse. Then I add jokes in the middle." I see Guy Haley doing something like that, but then leaving out the jokes and adding fight scenes.

Considering that Cadia is lost and the Space Wolves more or less lost Fenris...yeah losing Baal isn't unlikely at all, especially if that would let GW advance a big Tyranid fleet towards Terra. ;)

Have not yet read the book, but couldn't help but read this stuff. My thoughts on what has been said so far:

So often it's about how or why something happens. Losing Baal could actually be an epic thing that is a defining moment in our chapter's glorious legacy. Think about it. If the Horus Heresy series was just starting off and we had NO idea what happened in it, and someone was like "our Primarch might die" ...what would we think? "Man! That's crazy talk! How could they! That's :censored:!" etc....

...but the death of our Primarch is perhaps the defining feature of our Chapter. In no small part because of how and why it happens. 

I can foresee a potential loss of Baal in much the same way. Dante does The Dark Knight thing and says "we will lose our homeworld because we can take it. Other forces would be paralyzed at the thought, but we sons of the Angel can take anything and carry on, so we will sacrifice whatever is necessary for the betterment of mankind." Boom!  And then it causes the Super Black Rage which is when Death Company wig out even more and get 12x S7 Attacks on the charge.....:teehee:

I'm not saying I like the idea, but as with so many things, it comes down to tone and intent. I can all too easily see us getting squatted. It's classic business practice to "consolidate the portfolio" and the chapter that is kinda codex compliant, but kinda not, and  also never really got around to fleshing them out and giving them the backstory they deserve is terrifyingly easy to imagine being cut out. 

But on the other hand, it could be a blessing in disguise if done right. 

Realistically guessing, if the return of all these Primarchs and what not is Great Crusade/Horus Heresy 2.0, I can foresee the BA once again at the gates of the Imperial Palace, breaking the backs of bloodthirsters and pityin' the foo's who try to get in their way. Chaos players have to change their pants as Abaddon goes to the big red "keep on at all times" switch on the side of the Golden Throne and is about to flip it "off" until BAM! Dante drop kicks his insufferable :censored: , big epic battle ensues and then Dante chops off the Talon of Horus and stabs it through Abaddon's eyes. 

Who knows. We probably still won't get ObSec in our Demi Company, though. 

Edited by Indefragable

"The popular Space Marine Battles series is relaunched with an epic novel that sees the whole Blood Angels Chapter in action, fighting a desperate rearguard battle to defend their homeworld from the predations of the tyranid hive fleet Leviathan.

After a brutal campaign in the Cryptus System fighting the alien tyranids, Lord Dante returns to Baal to marshal the entire Blood Angels Chapter and their Successors against Hive Fleet Leviathan. Thus begins the greatest conflict in the history of the sons of Sanguinius. Despite a valiant battle in the void around Baal, the Blood Angels are unable to stop the tyranids drawing ever closer, but their petitions for reinforcements are met with dread news. The Cadian Gate, the Imperium's most stalwart bastion against Chaos, has fallen. In their darkest hour, no help will reach the beleaguered Dante and his warriors.

Is this truly then the Time of Ending?"

I. am. excited!

Also the last sentence...sounds almost like some one who reads on this forum trying to troll people with throwing more end time teasing around. :D

"The popular Space Marine Battles series is relaunched with an epic novel that sees the whole Blood Angels Chapter in action, fighting a desperate rearguard battle to defend their homeworld from the predations of the tyranid hive fleet Leviathan.

After a brutal campaign in the Cryptus System fighting the alien tyranids, Lord Dante returns to Baal to marshal the entire Blood Angels Chapter and their Successors against Hive Fleet Leviathan. Thus begins the greatest conflict in the history of the sons of Sanguinius. Despite a valiant battle in the void around Baal, the Blood Angels are unable to stop the tyranids drawing ever closer, but their petitions for reinforcements are met with dread news. The Cadian Gate, the Imperium's most stalwart bastion against Chaos, has fallen. In their darkest hour, no help will reach the beleaguered Dante and his warriors.

Is this truly then the Time of Ending?"

I. am. excited!

Also the last sentence...sounds almost like some one who reads on this forum trying to troll people with throwing more end time teasing around. :D

Huff

I hope we don't get squated.

I don't mind losing baal too much, although I really enjoyed reading about it in Dante.

But really hope we don't lose the Chapter.

But fighting at probably as close to Legion strength as the Blood Angels have been since the heresy could be pretty awesome.

I think it might just be the novel to the shield of baal campaign. Still exited tho. 3 books within one year with two of them apparently being pretty damn great and the third about one of, if not the, biggest event for BA in the 40k.

I'm incredibly excited for this! Yes it will be dire times, yes we are fighting a rear guard action and the Tyranids make it to Baal. But judging by the first book Holy God Emperor and we in for a bloody amazing fight! (Pun intended)

Legion strength fight mofos!!!

There is still Hope!

Normally, given the actual fluff, all Successors (except for the Lamenters) have send a sizable force to reinforce the Blood Angels. (And for some, (nearly) the whole chapter have been mobilised, most iconic of this are the Flesh Tearers.)

So, if the successors gathers at least half of their individual strenght, it would at least be from 200 to 500 brothers per chapter (Plus, such reinforcement would be composed of veterans mostly)...In the end, it would be a trully apocalyptic war, for Dante would have the equivalent of a small Legion under is command, plus given the odds, all the Blood Angels and Descendants most powerfulls war relics are to be used....without forgetting the raw power of some ancient and terrifying spaceship like the Flesh Tearers flagship, the Victus....

If with all this forces, we still loose Baal to the Tyranids, then it would only means that the Blood Angels came to face a Tyranids invasion that is so powerfull that it would make the Ultramarines one laughable.

In the end, if Guy Haley follow the current fluff description of the forces deployed for the defence of Baal, i then, think that the title "The Devastation of Baal" fit perfectly what this war/battle will be.

(I also hope for all Successors to have a good place in the events, most notably, Dante giving orders to all other Chapter Masters...the "Trial by Blood" way would be quite the compromise between too much and not enough.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, maybe a GREAT Blood Angels release window for November/December...

Just in time for "the gathering storm part 8!"

On another note, the book title is "the devastation of Baal," not "the destruction of Baal". It could just indicate that the Baal system is going to be attacked (obviously). The whole prophecy could actually be much later on, wrong, or intentionally misleading.