BotL - Monthly fluff challenge

Kelborn

[Here is my completed second submission.]

Alexandros sat in the strategium's lone throne, rereading the message brought to him by the Mechanicum for a third time. He was unsure which troubled him more: the information learned or the command signed by the Emperor himself. A green glow bathed the quiet room as it shown a planetary system. Various boxes of information hovered next to each planet, though little was actually said. So much unknown would be revealed, but it could not compare with what was already known. 

The door to the strategium opened. In stepped a lone, bald officer. 

Lord Commander Jermanikus had not come into his position through a personal showing of great valor or winning renown by way of beautiful strategy. He had climbed through the ranks of the Halcyon Wardens via simple hard work and steadfastness. Among Alexandros' Legates, Jermanikus was often likened to Ruel, both commanders preferring to fall back on the basic yet effective premises of the Principia Bellicosa. Yet, whereas Ruel preferred to lead the most hazardous charges, demonstrating a tendency toward aggression and assault, Jerminkus typically commanded from afar where he could maintain an awareness of the campaign as a whole, more balanced than the previous Legion Master. 

Which was probably why he was standing before his Primarch.

Jermanikus saluted, "Lord Commander Jermanikus, reporting as ordered, my lord!"

"At ease," Alexandros replied with a nod. "You are here to receive new orders."

To the marine's credit, his face didn't so much as twitch before he asked, "Permission to speak freely, my lord?"

"Granted."

"My lord, I am currently enmeshed with my responsibilities in the Lorn Campaign. I believe reassignment would be inadvisable at this time."

"I am inclined to agree with you, my son, but these orders come directly from the Emperor himself."

Only now, with blue his eyes growing a fraction larger, did Jermanikus react. "If that is the case, then I will go as my Emperor commands of me. What are the campaign's details?"

Alexandros reached forward and placed a dataslate in front of his son. "That will continue all of the information you'll need. Regarding broad strokes, you are to assemble a new task force for a planetary subjugation campaign for the Mexicatii system. Highest difficulty, the natives will be hostile and there is a religious presence that must be eliminated. For your task force, you are to prioritize marines that are noted for reliability and ability to be clandestine. No information about this campaign will be made known to the greater Imperium, unless the Emperor wills it." 

Throughout Alexandros' explanation, Jermanikus had studied the information on the dataslate, the faintest signs of concern showing on his face. When Alexandros finished, there was an uncomfortable pause. "My lord, what situation requires such... unusual methods?"

The Shield-Lord twitched. "I am not at liberty to say."

Though he held his composure, Darshan could see shock radiating throughout Jermanikus' aura. Finally, the Lord Commander said, "As the Emperor wills."

"The orders are to be immediately implemented. As such, you are dismissed." 

Jermanikus saluted before marching quickly out of the strategium. 

As the door closed, Alexandros sighed. 80 years into the Great Crusade and so many good brothers found, he thought to himself. Daer'dd, Pionus, Koschei, even Kozja has his virtues. Now it's broken.With a couple of buttons, the hologram of Morro appeared above the table. 

"And we'd privately hope you were going to be the worst one we found," Alexandros whispered to himself. "But now..."

Another button shifted Morro out of the green light to be replaced by a stock image of a undefined body. Most of the data-boxes were empty or simply said, +Insufficient Data+. Only the name was clearly visible: Alexos Travier.

Edited by simison

Apologies for the double-post, but I wanted to get this idea out of my head before it slipped away. While I appreciate the fact that Travier is a more active agent than Lorgar in creating the Insurrection and spreading corruption, I think most of us agree that he currently has too much on his plate and requires a number of lieutenants.

To that end, I suggest that he has 13 (the Eagle Warriors' favorite number) officers who represent the 13 temples. These officers will serve as our equivalent to Erebus and Kor. One idea I had involving them is that, while united in their service to Chaos, they are in direct competition with each other. This crosses several angles as some are out to prove their god the best, some are warring over which aspect of the Chaos god they serve is better (remember that there are roughly three Aztekis deities for each Chaos one), and some are taking the difficult road of trying to master the four equally as early disciples of Chaos Undivided. 

This would offer us more potential Arch-Champions and to explore how each Chaos deity is affecting the Eagle Warriors as the 13 war with each other and the Loyalists. I don't expect this set to remain with the first 13 officers. Throughout the Insurrection, through backstabbery or open warfare, members of the 13 die and are usually replaced. Only rarely does one member die, and no replacement is able to step forward, thus ending that temple's on-going influence at the highest level of the Eagle Warriors. 

Itzcoatl

Inducted into the Eagle Warriors Legion in 961.M30, Itzcoatl would begin service a mere two years before Travier's fateful visit to Teohuaca. While only an average marksman compared to fellow Legionaries, Itzcoatl demonstrated a heightened awareness and manipulation of morale, an ability that multiplied his squad's performance in combat. Thus, only after a few years of service, he was marked as a chaplain-candidate and began training toward that end. 

Given the timing of his candidacy, Itzcoatl would be among the first wave of Eagle Warrior chaplains to receive initial training into the hideous ways of Chaos. Bereft of latter knowledge of the dark rituals and eclectic powers, Itzcoatl and his cohorts would become pioneers as they sought to please their nightmarish masters. In this early period, the Eagle Warriors would begin their worship through revival of the Aztekis deities. While many of his brothers would dedicate themselves to a single Aztekis god or attempt to merge them in order to better serve one of the Four, Itzcoatl would be the first chaplain-candidate to attempt to master a proper balance of the Chaos gods, an early harbinger of what would eventually become known as Chaos Undivided. 

Itzcoatl displayed an eagerness and skill in absorbing his lessons throughout training. In 970, he and twelve other candidates soon distinguished themselves from their fellow candidates and would be hand-picked by Alexos Travier himself to form a coterie of corrupted priests directly beneath the Primarch. Receiving special favors from both his gene-sire and his gods, Itzcoatl appeared destined for deeds, great and terrible. However, it was not to be. During the last phases of the First Solar War, Itzcoatl would join with Alexos' surprise invasion of Delos. During the assault on Salim, Itzcoatl would run afoul of his gods' capriciousness and was stripped of several of his powers at the height of the conflict. Weakened, Itzcoatl's life ended at the hands of Captain Alkylles of the Halcyon Wardens. 

Edited by simison

The Rite of Nomus

Of all his time spent in the Steel Legion, Scout Senix looked forward to one thing above all else. Not any of the trans-human abilities granted to him, not the black carapace, but the coveted neural implant that all members of the Legion were granted upon their promotion to full battle brother. It was an unusual contrast compared to the temperament of the Legion as a whole. The Astartes of the XVIIIth Legion were stoic, indifferent and held no such emotion toward such matters. Soon he wouldn't have to speak using his voice anymore. Soon he would truly be one with his brothers. The shared knowledge and experience of every Battle-Brother, Veteran and the Primarch himself would be a thought away. The door to his spartan room jarred open, causing him to look up. "Are you ready?" a hard-faced legionary grumbled. The sound was forced, quite noticeably that the legionary hadn't used his voice for some time. The legionary made it apparent the discomfort of having to use his voice with a menacing scowl. Senix decided to reply as short as possible out of respect for the Legionary.

"Yes, I’m ready." Senix replied. Senix along with the hundreds of Scouts assigned to the Reconnaissance Companies were lead deep within the bowels of the Legion's flagship Steel Vengeance, to the Apothacarium to undergo the Rite of Nomus. As they were taken through the labyrinth of passageways and security doors, they were met by a grand processional containing serfs, the legion apothecaries, and the legion chaplains. Leading the group was the Apothecary Primus Julius, clad in gleaming dark silver war plate, white pauldrens and a deep red tabard displaying the symbol of the Apothacarium. He was lean even by Space Marine standards, but more than made up for it in his countenance. He was a mass of cybernetics that even rivaled the Legion Techmarines. He kept a short stock if hair like Nomus, and sported a scar that ran the length of his face. His remaining eye was hard and void of emotion. A testament to the ideology of the Legion and his experience from his service to the Imperium.

As one, they marched in lock step into the Apothecarium's surgery room. It was a vast space that Senix's gene-hanced eyes easily saw the end of. It was filled with every manner of medical equipment, some Senix recognized some he didn't. He guessed it was about as large as the launching bays the Legion Thunderhawks mustered in, wide enough for 10 of them to sit abreast to one another and high enough for a Warhound Titan to stand in. The Legion Officers stood in formation at the end of the room on top of a raised platform before a grand window that ran the height of the surgery room out-looking the void.

As they continued their march, Senix saw that parallel to the walls were the Legion Veterans festooned in honor badges, bionic hands, arms, legs and eyes lined along the route they marched clad in shining deep steel colored armor. Behind them, Senix noticed surgery tables fit for an Astartes attended by medical serfs and servitors alike. As they marched, Legion Apothecaries broke away from the formation to attend to their stations in their portion of the Rite of Nomus. The Scouts followed this same form as they marched and in turn were parallel to a surgery table. The Astartes came to a halt, still facing forwards; their gene-father made his appearance before the assembled brothers. The Scouts dropped to a knee upon laying eyes on Nomus; everyone else remained standing.

"My sons." he said with as much warmth as he could muster. "You've proved your worth a hundred times to your mentors, to your peers, and to me...and for that, I am forever grateful.” His voice resounding off of the high walls. “You are at the final stage of your initiation. To be one with the Legion. To be one…with me." said Nomus. “It is a connection I cannot put into words my sons, it is something you must feel for yourself." he said. Senix’s twin hearts swelled with pride in his chest at his Primarch's words. Finally, after years of training and proving himself, he would be one with his Legion. “Stand my sons, no longer will you bend knee in my presence." said Nomus. Reluctantly the scouts all stood up, eyes still on their Gene-Father. Nomus tried to grin reassuringly at his sons and their apprehensiveness. Nomus gave his sons one last look before he gave his command. “Commence the Rite!" he shouted. As one, every Scout snapped to face their respective Veteran and table upon the Primarch's command. Senix stepped forward to face a Veteran he had only heard stories about. Veteran Heldius, Warrior of the 1st Grand Company and hero of Degundrad. Throughout the Legion, it was said when the Legion was fighting on that very world, he slayed an Ork Warboss with just a Combat Knife. Looking into the craggy features of the man, he believed it.

"Step forward whelp!" Heldius snapped. "Let us see if you're worthy of our Father’s blessing." he said. Senix was lead to the table, stripped of his robe and strapped in. His neck, waist, wrists and feet were bound with a strip of adamantium to keep him from moving during the procedure. Senix looked up to the razor-sharp edges of the Servitors scalpels as they made ready to begin. “Remain still brother, this is a delicate process.” Came the metallic reply of the Apothecary tending to Senix. The blades of the servitors cut deep into the flesh of his skull. Senix jerked violently as pain shot through his head. “You’ll end up like them if you do that again brother.” replied the Apothecary. Through gritted teeth, Senix bared the pain. He could only hear the noise from the medical instruments as they parted the flesh of the Scouts around him. Everyone else was eerily silent. Even him. The Veteran Heldius watched with detached interest as Senix underwent the procedure.

With Senix’s brain matter exposed, the Apothecary took the neural node and implanted it directly into the frontal lobe if his brain. Senix marveled at how delicate the Apothecary was in his work. He then attached a cable to the node and began the inload/outload protocols that would allow the node to mesh with his brain. This would protect his mind from cyber-attacks and electromagnetic interference, or any threat that would hinder his gift useless. With the Apothecary’s work done, he stepped back in order for the Servitors to close Senix’s skull. The section of skull that was cut out was replaced with an adamantium plate, and the skin that hung over his head was laid on top and his trans-human body already began to heal the wound. “Give it a few minutes, your mind is getting used to the implant.” The Apothecary said from behind him. Senix’s head ached, but he also had the faint sensation of static in his head. He couldn’t tell which was worse.

As he sat up from the table, he looked around at the other tables and saw that others were doing the same as he. Others weren’t so lucky. Some lay lifeless on the table, their eyes as cold and distant as the heart of the Legion. Their minds had rejecting the gift. None seemed affected by this, not even Nomus. As Senix was still getting his bearings, he realized Heldius was staring at him. Senix didn’t waiver under his gaze. Then he heard Heldius speak, but not with his mouth. “It’s seems you are worthy then whelp.” Heldius’ face remaining as unmovable as steel. Senix grinned broadly at this revelation. “It seems that I am Veteran Heldius.” Senix said. Before Heldius could reply again Julius cut in. “Gather to me brothers.” Said Julius. In a manner that belayed their previous condition, the Scouts reformed around the raised platform in good manner.

Again, Nomus appeared. Then, Senix saw the cold stoicism that gave the Legion its heart on the face of his Gene-Father. For brief seconds, Nomus gave the Scouts a brief look before Senix’s mind was overwhelmed by a pervading presence. It was as if a virus had invaded ever part of Senix’s brain. Then the Voice spoke. ‘My sons’ he said. ‘You have passed your last test, and are worthy to stand with us. Worthy to stand with me’ Said Nomus. ‘There is only success in unity. There is only success when we are one. Make ready my sons, for we will bring our cold wrath upon our enemies.’ As Senix stared at Nomus, he still felt tremendous pride in this stage of his trans-human life. But realized this time he hadn’t smiled.

Sorry for the late entry gentlemen, this took me longer than I thought. I'm new to writing, but either way I hope you guys enjoy it.

I can live with that.

By the way: should or could we make a price for the best story of the month? If it is one of our brethren he can choose a primarch bust by slaine if it is someone from outside he will get a surprise miniature or a comission ( not a primarch you dreamers, just something easy) by me. I was inapred by brother kage challenges where he has 2 prices to win. Why nit doing something similar.

By the way: should or could we make a price for the best story of the month? If it is one of our brethren he can choose a primarch bust by slaine if it is someone from outside he will get a surprise miniature or a comission ( not a primarch you dreamers, just something easy) by me. I was inapred by brother kage challenges where he has 2 prices to win. Why nit doing something similar.

I've dreamed about winning the lottery and using a million or two to fund the project. One of the ideas I had was to offer actual prizes for Challenge winners or worthy participants.

So, I'd happily support an actual prize for the challenge but unable to do so financially. And there'd probably be need a method to prevent repeat winners in a row.

Anyway, October is now a week away. Calculating votes:

Godslayers - Mikhal

Warbringers - Blunt, Mikhal

Wardens of Light - Blunt

And previous entries:

September - Eagle Warriors

August - Fire Keepers

July - Warriors of Peace

June - Grave Stalkers

May - Void Eagles

April - Dune Serpents

March - Steel Legion

Remaining Legions:

I - Lightning Bearers/Harbingers

III - Crimson Lions

IV - Void Eagles

V - Halcyon Wardens

VI - Iron Bears

VII - Berserkers of Uran

VIII - Godslayers

IX - Warbringers

X - Fire Keepers

XII - Wardens of Light

XIII - Eagle Warriors

XIV - Dune Serpents

XV - Grave Stalkers

XVI - The Drowned

XVII - Warriors of Peace

XVIII - Steel Legion

XIX - Scions Hospitalier

XX - Predators

Edited by simison

Woe, that looks like the numbers of voters in germany^^

I dreamed of winning the spanish christmas lottery and them pay ADB a million for a series of books and buy GW to make a truscale tabletop about the insurrection.

And make the Wardens of Light Canon^^

Edited by MikhalLeNoir