BotL - Monthly fluff challenge

Kelborn

Negative. Some of the legion's remaining are some of the most threadbare when it comes to stories. We agreed and voted on the current rotation. The legions came first and they deserve to finish it out for this first round.

1 vote for Harbingers.

And here are the judges

1. Blind
  2. Thorn
  3. Simison
  4. Helter
  5. Shadow
  6. Kel
  7. Slips
  8. Beren
  9. Mikhal
  10. Blunt
  11. Skal
  12. Sig
  13. Demus

For those planning on participating this month, I would like to see fluff on the Godslayers AFTER their fall to Nurgle. However, that might prove restrictive so definitely message me with your ideas.

I look forward to being disgusted!lol

Blessings of Nurgle be upon you!

(P.s. if you want to do something pre-fall that's fine too!)

Edited by TheBlindPrimarch

With Phosphex and with Volkite.

The two lights merged in the shadows of the blackened chamber. One, flickering, came from the ghostly pale blue flames that danced and writhed at the far end of an adjoining corridor. The flames reached out,the image of grasping fingers, slowly crawling up the passageway. It was not there yet. They had time. For now the pallid fire made the location as safe a place as any aboard the damned ship. The other glow was a harsh glare of red, pulsing on and off in correlation with the activation of the weapon it emanated from. The weapon busy searing three corpses into ash. Those dead at least would be given peace. The walls themselves were scorched. Seared free from layers of rust that had sheathed once gleaming surfaces. Removed of taint for now. Six mortals clad in silvered metals and and whitened void seals. Stains show best on white cloth. A single giant who almost seemed to loom over them even when lowered, blackened plate marking him the son of no legion. The killer taking rest against a bulkhead as far from the others as could be managed. A Veletaris to cleanse the corpses so that this death would be their last. Two to cover the sealed portal, their weapons panning across closed maw. One who soldier by soldier swept her gaze over very piece of equipment they had. Her friend attempting, in vain, to reestablish contact with command. Another to keep watch on the ever closing flames. At least that would be a true death.

Every now and then the open entryway would be guest to a low and gut-wrenching drawl of sound. Not from the flames,but through the flames. Either to be abruptly cut off or to fade away into silence. Every time the sentry would bring his gun barrel to bear. Only discipline steeled him from loosing beams into the conflagration.

“Fethin' monsters.”

A thundering,rasping,derisive chortle. No sooner had the word slipped the sentry's mouth than the Astartes' laughter was echoing round the compartment. Three helmed heads turned to stare.

“I was named that once. By one of them believe it or not. Rather, what they once were.”

There was no true silence aboard a void craft, the countless systems devoted to maintaining its functionality and habitability never ceasing nor silent. Let alone one that was a war zone. Yet something close it fell upon the room. Shrouding noise in a dread gloom.

“How old is your unit?” Their acting leader tilted her head at the query . An Astartes’ queries were not to be questioned, and the killer seemed the best chance the Veletaris had of departing the wreck alive. Or at the very least, permanently dead.

“A year and four months, give or take.” A unit that had only heard of the Great Crusade's glories. A whispered myth now. Atypically inexperienced for the Auxilia's elites.

“Then you did not witness them as they once were and how they reacted to our victories. Hermenka. We left worlds like it a shattered husk of its past. It allowed us put their Primarch to his greatest skill and we were deemed savages for it. Monsters. I cannot say they were wrong, but even what my Legion has become is better than what they have fallen to. They sought to protect instead of to desecrate, to negotiate instead of slay.” His bitter laughter knifed through air. “Now they don't even have the brains left to see how far they've fallen.”

The flames were closer now. Their glare harsher and brighter. The light gave the sealed helm of the killer a ghostly cast. The sentry shifted nervously where he crouched. The pair still warded the closed entrance. Of the other three, two had completed their slotted tasks and the other had forsaken futile attempts at gaining word from command. The Mortar seemed to take little notice. Cold disgust had simmered beneath every word said. Now it rose to the surface like a serpent from its sleep.

"Your kind once would have looked upon them with gratitude and honour rather than disgust. Honour to serve by their side. Honour that these gods of war would lie down their lives for them. Now you judge them for their follies, and rightfully so. Even mortals stand above the damned."

He seemed to glare into the raging inferno. His choler grew with its proximity. Urging it to finish the task for which he had released it.

“There is one way in which they have not changed. They sought to make all level, all equal. They still do in their own lost fashion. Only now they do not seek to raise all to their level, but to drag them down. To drag us all down to their wretched state of existence.”

The Moritat pushed to his feet, mirroring the sentry. An armoured gauntlet crushed the access panel, leaving the light suddenly blocked. The door would give them perhaps a minute. The killer surged past his mortal companions like a force of nature. They tried to keep from their minds that decay was also such a force. The door which had stood sealed now opened even as the mortals formed up to follow. An unlit passage leading into shadow. A lone shambling figure twisted it's body towards them. It had an arm off, helmet torn free of its head. Ichor dipped from ragged holes to mix with clotted blood, a power axe jutted from its mangled stump. Its armour was pitted with unnatural rot and long dead eyes gazed towards them. A lone arm stretched out, fingers grasping. The Moritats eidetic memory flashed back, matching the remnants of insignias to when he had seen them last. A proud deliver in red-yellow, judging his slaughter. The corpse of the once-Astartes stumbled towards the group. Knowing the mortals waited behind him, the killer strode to meet it with volkite serpentas clenched in each fist.

“I will remove your filth. I will cleanse you of your broken dreams. With phosphex and with volkite.”

The judging is complete. 

With no other competition, I win the Forgeworld category with 'The Plainsrunner Tribe'.

Blunt's 'Task of a Shaman' wins the Black Library category for his in-depth look at their recruitment tactics.

Beren's 'Methods of the Hunt' is given a commendation for 'Best New Pet', while Thorn's 'Second Battle of Hagan Tertiary' receives 'The Funniest Plot Twist' commendation.

• 2 weeks later...

Blind, I'm thinking about a Forgeworld blurb about one of the hordes that makes up the new legion. I'm guessing that the Godslayers who retain their intelligence will be able to command their completely zombified kin. So, I was thinking about detailing one of the new horde commanders and how he uses his zombies. Sound good?

"Horde of the Dark Claw" Kriftos Plu

In life, Kriftos Plu was famed as a calm, cool-headed Septumvirate among the Godslayers. After the terrible events of Zbruch, Kriftos would emerge as a exuberant monster with a flair for the melodramatic. 

Previous entries:

June - Godslayers

May - Predators

April - Scions Hospitalier

March - Elite mortal regiments

February - Halcyon Wardens

December/January - The Drowned

November - Imperial Army

October - Warbringers

September - Eagle Warriors

August - Fire Keepers

July - Warriors of Peace