BotL - Monthly fluff challenge

Kelborn

Sorry for doubleposting but here's what I got for both, the fluff challenge of February as well as a possible red page about the Grand Tournament. I recommend to read the story I've revised some time ago prior to this one.

As it's the first draft, I'm eager for adjustments! :smile.:

Time: 990.M30

The Grand Tournament

After the decisive victory over the so-called Black Judges of Olympia, was the worth of the Imperial Households from across the Imperium finally recognized and officially accepted. Without the deeds of Houses Atreis and Sardok would the final offense on the Obsidian Citadel have turned into a disaster. After the annexation of the Olympian realm, the Emperor decreed an event looking for its peers, a Grand Tournament for the Questoris Familia. Houses from across the Imperium were invited to participate and spectators from all imperial factions and all social classes were called to join the spectacle.

Ordained by the Emperor himself, the Grand Tournament took the form of a festival never seen before within the young Imperium. The Tech-priests of Mars worked night and day to turn the former battlefield of Olympia into a fitting arena, worth of the imperial ambition and the Emperor’s participation. What remained of the Obsidian Citadel was broken down and reused for the creation of stands framing the gigantic arena. Perfectly aligned, the arena was illuminated by the Olympian sun for nearly the entire day. Rows upon rows of stands for all kind of spectators were built, offering space for thousands of viewers, most notably those members and soldiers, who survived the intense war against the Black Judges, as well as high-ranking members of the imperial leadership. A separate lodge, overlooking the entire arena and the surrounding fields was designed for the Emperor himself and several of his sons, the Primarchs. The gigantic encampments, mostly in the form of drop keeps, of the Knight Households were placed in between the arena and the never-resting landing fields. Crafts of all classes continuously landed there to discharge their cargo and supply the Grand Tournament and its adjacent forges with all necessary resources. Such was the pomp and ceremony that accompanied these spectators; few could mistake the importance of the Grand Tournament. The opening ceremonies alone lasted for nearly a week until all Households had gathered and prepared the coming contests. Pilgrims of both, civilian and military origin, streamed to the close-by wreckage of the Olympian tyrant, Ammemnon. The remains of his giant cybernetic carapace were formed into an everlasting memorial for future generations.

While the opening ceremony unfolded, agreements were struck and webs of patronage and machinations were woven within the shadows of the giant arena. Wider alliances were bought and sold in the distant galleries of the ranks and deep within the mountain in which the forges and maintenance facilities of both, the lords of Mars and the Households were built into and were not uncommon to discover corpses discretely hidden in the corners of the former Obsidian Citadel. During the first week of the Grand Tournament, Households from every corner of the conquered galaxy came to represent their homeworlds and proudly face their distant brethren. Houses like Toho, Atreis or Dorath were welcomed with fanfare and cheering crowds. Others like Lothryk or Harkon were more met with suspicion as these Knights were known to be mavericks and outsiders, having only a handful of allies if any at all, like the Iron Bears in the case of House Harkon. Hundreds of manifold banners adorned the arena with the red eagle of House Atreis residing next to the chimera of House Ohrlacc and the chained skulls of House Sardok. Their Knights shined in all kind of colors of their homeworlds. It was a spectacle worthy to proudly present their deeds and legacies. Thousands of mind-wiped servitors were placed all across the arena and the Households refuge, recording everything of note for the wider Imperium and transmitting the hymns of the present Houses and their homeworlds.

The Tournament itself was based on a sophisticated system of victory points and several disciplines to participate. The overall winner would not only achieve eternal glory from the entirety of the Imperium by presenting their skills and proving their worth but furthermore, the victorious Household would earn a temporary seat at the High Questor in the Grand Council on Terra, representing all of the imperial Households. Among these disciplines were both, remnants of ancient Terran traditions, as well as adapted versions of the present Imperium and those of the Knights’ homeworlds. Unarmoured combat, with two scions fighting each other in classic melee duels, sharpshooting contests for both unarmoured and saddled combat, and simulated maneuvers for entire lances were but a small selection of what the tournament had to offer. Each won discipline would also bring a specific title to the victor, honoring the Scions skills.

Though enlisting all of those who attended this momentous festival is beyond the scope of this treatise, it may be considered to some readers, especially those who did not experience firsthand those glory days of the Imperium, to have at their disposal a list of the most important participating Households, as well as the most famous spectators of the Grand Tournament: the Primarchs and those of full representative rank of the Terran Court. For the sake of completeness, also noted are those high-ranking members of the Legiones Astartes of whom their Primarchs were not present.

Those of the Knight Households, which shined out or won at least one discipline of the Grand Tournament along with their earned titles:

• Amphorae-Vitae
• Atreis .……….......................................Kings of the Hill, the Lancemasters, High Questor of the Knightly Houses
• August
• Blinstrubas
• Cadmus
• Dorath
• Draconis
• Harkon.…………………………………………………...........…………….…………………….the Unwavering Shields
• Lostarot
• Lothryk.……………………………………………………………………….............…………………..the Blood Knights
• Minotos
• Mordred
• Ohrlacc…………………………………………………………………............……………………………the Pathfinders
• Qhapaq
• Sunhava
• Toho…………………………………………………………………………............………………….…the Blademasters
• Vyridion………………………………………………………………………….............…………………..the Eagle Eyed
• Zivich………………………………………………………………………………..............………………..the Hawk Eyed

Those present at the Grand Tournament:

• The Emperor
• Malcador the Sigillite, High Proconsul Imerpialis
• Kelbor-Hal, Fabricator-General of Mars
• Lords Militant Tabor Ludovicia and Haldane Ma’lon, Muster of the Imperialis Auxilia
• Grand Admiral Constansa Suati-Falkan, Imperialis Armada
• Constantin Valdor of the Custodian Guard
• Alexandros, Lord of the Vth Legion
• Daer’dd, Lord of the VIth Legion
• Kozja, Lord of the IXth Legion
• Niklaas, Lord of the Xth Legion
• Nomus, Lord of the XVIIIth Legion
• Pionus, Lord of the XIXth Legion

Those representing their Primarchs, who acknowledged the importance of the Tournament but were unable to join in persona:

• Cervantes de Leon, Disciple of Light of the XIIth Legion
• Dorran Kldier, Overlord of the VIIth Legion
• Tincomos, Myrvallen of the IIIrd Legion
• Thoruk, Izinduna of the XXth Legion

Edited by Kelborn

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I'm not used to this whole "judge" schtick so apologies if my analysis is not as through or in-depth as prior judges.

Forgeworld Historic Text Winner - Kelborn with The Great Tournament.

I'm always interested in seeing the Imperium during moments of peace as compared to the usual status quo of constant war, so this story instantly drew me in. I enjoyed reading about how even amid the festivity of an Imperial triumph the squabbling players of the Imperial Court still find time to make underhanded deals and bump off a few rivals in the backrooms out of sight. Another wonderful segment was the section detailing the various games and events of the Tourney both in and out of the saddle, mimicking that of real medieval Knightly competitions which I thought was a nice touch. All this combined with a complete lack of spelling or grammatical errors as far as I could see made The Great Tournament my favoured choice for the Historic Text award.

Black Library Narrative Text - Beren with the Sixth Orta Dossier

This one I like for the sheer level of detail it goes into on the mindset, customs and symbology of the Sin Eaters, showcasing how awfully far from the usual image of a Knight House they are thanks to the Drowned Men's "patronage". The far-flung origins of each Scion and the mystery of their pasts before being pressed into the 16th's service is intriguing, and I really like the little hints at their resentful state with the chains of fealty on their banner being shown as bent and cracked by the indignities the Drowned have forced them to endure. As for spelling and grammar I only found a single spelling error in the entire post, that being in the second sentence of the first Lins-Kragna and Prandar paragraph; "While the term us technically" and this is almost certainly just an example of autocorrect being overzealous. Congrats Beren, enjoy your Black Library Narrative Text Award my friend.

Edited by SanguiniusReborn

Thank you!

It means quite much to me for several reasons:

It means that my English improved over the last years (and that Grammarly is truly worth it :P). Furthermore, the GT was one of the first ideas I've worked on with the team back in the days when I had just joined the BotL.

I used FWs Council of Nikaea red page as a template. It was quite inspiring and gave me something to work with. Glad that you guys like it! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'd say that we continue with the fluff challenge after releasing our first books, eh?

So votes for April are still open.

For the general public, yes, the fluff challenge is on hold until we've passed our first publication date.

• 1 month later...

For the record, the challenge has returned. 

I intend to try to capture the heart of the Godslayers with an induction ceremony of a new legionary.

A Terrible Weight

Vsevolod gritted his teeth, more than happy that his face was hidden by the helm he wore. His goal laid tantalizing close. Only eight paces stood between him and his coveted goal: initiation into the Legiones Astartes. His senses may have been dulled by the ceramite containing him, but he could feel the gazes of dozens upon him. It was to this audience that Vsevolod fought to keep any hint of his discomfort from revealing itself. 

Non-legion for next month.

• Elite Mortal Regiments
  • Imperial Army
  • Knight House
  • Titan Legio
  • Mechanicum Forgeworld
  • Insurgo
  • Blackshield
  • Custodian
  • Aeldari
  • Ork
  • Other

Ooh, could quite like Aeldari - there are a few example battles against Aeldari (at least one potential exemplary ;) ), plus they'll be easier to integrate into the Xenos Auxilia, so 1 vote for the knife ears

Torn between custodes, blackshields and Insurgos...would like to do something for them.

Won't be able to write something this month, so I join Thorn: Aeldari

Torn between custodes, blackshields and Insurgos...would like to do something for them.

Won't be able to write something this month, so I join Thorn: Aeldari

*Edith*

Wait a sec - what about the Nightguard?

Edited by Kelborn

A Terrible Weight

Vsevolod gritted his teeth, hiding his discomfort as best as he was able. His goal laid tantalizing close. Only eight paces stood between him and his coveted goal: initiation into the Legiones Astartes. Standing at his goal was Chaplain Sokolov. Lined along the path to ascension were his would-be brothers. Despite the number involved, all were silent, watching. There would be no bellowing as befitting the Bears or catcalls from Lions. To become a Godslayer was a somber event weighed with duty. 

"Begin," Sokolov commanded.

Vsevolod had been standing in the unpowered armour for only seconds and already felt his breath shorter than he liked as he forced the first step forward. 

"We are not the Berserkers, slaved to aggression as we make war," Sokolov intoned.

Another step brought Vsevolod a quarter of the way. 

"We are not the Dune Serpents, hiding in shadows and sand."

Vsevolod could no longer hide his exertions as he struggled to bring his foot to the next step. With a tortured grunt, he managed it.

"We are not the Void Eagles, slaying enemies that we cannot see from above the heavens."

The next step brought Vsevolod to the halfway point. He could feel himself starting to sweat.

"We are not the Steel Legion, substituting technology in place of spirited valor."

Vsevolod paused and regretted it immediately. Merely standing in the armor was a challenge in of itself. If he waited too long, his body would cave before making another step. A spike of anxiety and fear filled him, though he took care to hide it. He did, however, use it to make the next step. 

"We are the heirs of an ancient tradition, beholders of a warrior's spirit lasting millennia."

Trying to maintain what little momentum he had, Vsevolod forced another step, though he could not stop a tired gasp from escaping his lips. No one commented on it.

"We stand in the mud, enduring every challenge with undiminished resolve."

Vsevolod pulled at his foot. For one, brief terrifying moment, his strength failed him as his foot remain rooted. Drawing on his reserves, he managed to drag his foot forward, only a few centimeters off the ground. 

"We are the slayers of the false, the guilty, and the cruel, fearing no man or god."

Vsevolod could no longer hide his agony as his body burned with exertion. A roar of pain twisted his throat as he threw his entire will into taking one. 

More.

Step.

A clank echoed in the room as adamantium slammed against the floor. 

With a small yet satsifed smile, Sokolov finished, "We are Godslayers."

Edited by simison

• 3 weeks later...

[i've finished my Godslayers' entry.]

A Call and Answer

++For the Eyes of the Lord of the Fifth Legion Only++

To better understand how and when to deploy and wield the Munetari ands its units, it is imperative to understand the differing traditions and elements that formed its foundation. 

While the greater Imperium can now readily identify the various armies of Il-Kaithe, barely any awareness extends beyond this obvious fact. In truth, several Craftworlds' warriors and denizens stand side-by-side the green-and-purple of Il-Kaithe. Despite the propaganda claim that only Il-Kaithe was recruited because of their own zealotry against our ultimate enemy, the truth of the matter is there was an intensive campaign to recruit all known Craftworlds. Seeing as only Il-Kaithe joined us, I view this as a personal failure to secure additional military strength against the Traitors.

For a time, it appeared Il-Kaithe would not be the only one. 

Although there is no truly accurate number of the number of Craftworlds, a conservative estimation from the scant information offered to us places the number well into the hundreds, and perhaps as many as a thousand with a number of Craftworlds who's existence is a secret even from a majority of their own kind. During the initial foundation of the Munetari, a full hundred were approached to join us in our own war of survival. 

It was always going to be a difficult negotiation. The Great Crusade had successfully destroyed a dozen or so Craftworlds, not to mention claiming former Aeldari worlds and outposts as our own. Furthermore, even with the collapse of their empire, the Aeldari are an arrogant people, so used to their own superiority in both individual power and collective technology. My own tools were constrained by expectation and Imperial Law. Countless visions forewarned failure if too little or too much was given or withheld. 

In spite of these limitations, hatred of the Annihilator proved an effective point of unity. In addition to Il-Kaithe, fourteen other Craftworlds considered pledging to our cause, including Aon'tai, Féin-Cineál, and Zahr-Tann. The largest among their number was the Craftworld Iyanden. It was hoped that if Iyanden could agree to terms, several of the smaller Craftworlds would pledge in turn. The desire for vengeance was strong among them. 

Alas, hatred alone could not coax Iyanden to the Imperium.

Iyanden rejected the Edict, leaving only Il-Kaithe to join the Imperium. This did not mean total defeat. Although I was unable to secure official alliance, a number of pacts would ensure that Il-Kaithe alone would shoulder the burden of the Insurrection among the Aeldari. Iyanden may not have been willing to tolerate lifting the Palatine Aquila, but they were more than willing to destroy the four-pointed star. 

Although the Fifth Legion is never to publically recognize Craftworld Iyanden as an Imperim-aligned actor, they are to be treated as soft allies. Included in this file is their identification rune, warrior colors, and a specific, classified vox code, along with communication instructions to open contact. In return, Iyanden has contributed a small force to maintain a presence among the Munetari, which is still active as of this report's date. So long as Iyanden forces continue to operate among the Munetari, their Craftworld and other forces are to be treated as Legion Auxilia. Likewise, Craftworlds Aon'tai, Dolthe and half a dozen others can be found represented among the Munetari. 

Similar details of their pacts, identification, and communication protocols are included in this file. 

A number of Craftworlds were wary of any diplomatic relations with the Imperium, given the history of the Great Crusade. They maybe still become potential allies depending on how well the Edict endures the end of the Insurrection. Craftworlds Saim-Hann, Zahr-Tann, and Muirgaythh are three such representatives. Their identifications, along with other Craftworlds in this category, have been included in case the Order of the Hand may be able to win them over at a future date. 

Of final consideration for this briefing are a number of Craftworlds who are hostile towards the Imperium and may even go as far as to threaten Munetari elements. It is imperative for the Halcyon Wardens to protect the Munetari, especially from hostile Aeldari forces. Doing so will only improve our standing with the Aeldari race which could lead to additional Munetari forces and potentially others joining the Imperium proper, while weakening hostile Aeldari elements. Craftworlds Biel-Tann, Kher-Ys, and Zandros are but a few identified. 

Official policy is avoidance, but the Halcyon Wardens are to be prepared for combat operations whenever these forces are sighted. Included are their identifications. 

By no means, should you treat this as an exhaustive list but merely as a foundation for on-going efforts to end and turn would-be enemies into reliable allies. So long as the Suzerainty exists, the Imperium will always have to consider war with our fellow mankind as a possibility on this plane of existence. Until the day the Suzerainty is reinteraged with the Imperium, it would behoove you and your successors to continue improving the Imperium's military capabilities, both within and without. 

- Alexandros Darshan VonSalim, Warmaster of the Imperium

Edited by simison

An Unexpected Guest

Cassion-ann of House Mach'aithe may have been young by Aeldari standards after only recently passing his two-hundredth birthday, but even he was struggling with all of the changes hammering his home. Il-Kaithe had spent a thousand years underneath the regime of Prince Kurom, Cassion-ann's father, who had charted Il-Kaithe's course with unwavering discipline. Centuries spent breathing fire against the Empire's decadence and urging anyone who'd listen to repent of their ways and leave the Empire to its fate. Thrice had his words nearly started conflict with other Aeldari. Cassion-ann had thought of him as a fool in private thoughts.

Oh, how prescient Kurom had proven to be. 

A week had passed after Kurom had abdicated his position as First-Among-Equals of the Il-Kiathe Noble Houses. The scion of House Dias'rea had lobbied hard to be selected to succeed Kurom, and Cassion-ann half-hearted efforts to live up to his father's wishes ensured his ascension. In public, Kurom had blessed the transition. In private, he had been furious with Cassion-ann. The younger Eldar had endured his father's words, secretly content to be free of leadership's burden. 

Then Kurom had died.

As had Cassion-ann's mother. The new Prince of Il-Kiathe, only a month into his position. Along with a full third of the craftworld. 

==Khaela Llyddaghan==

Once protector of Craftworld Llyddagh, this powerful Aeldari Titan was cut adrift when its home was destroyed during the War of the Dread Pearl. Having travelled to the besieged Maiden World in the hope of liberating it from the Mon-Keigh's Imperium, Llyddagh found itself vulnerable as the joint Imperial Fleet finally caught up with the Craftworld that had been harrying the human-held planets of the Koronus Expanse. After defeat on the world of Lileath'Fionnadh, Faensaar, the Steersman of this Titan, returned to a devastated vessel, its once-majestic spires toppled and its gardens bathed in the blood of his kin.

Upon that day, Faensaar swore vengeance upon the shrine of Khaela Mensha Khaine, and renamed his Titan Khaela Llyddaghan, Blood for Llyddagh: he had unwittingly donned the War Mask in perpetuity.

While some speculate Faensaar then travelled to Asur to take the teachings of Asurmen, and others state that it was another Asurya that taught him of the Path of the Warrior, what is certain is that the new Phoenix Lord would travel the stars and Craftworlds, founding shrines of his new aspect of the {Ebon Talons} and bringing them hope of revenge against the Mon-Keigh. Vanishingly rare, the black-clad Titans of the Ebon Talons bring their immense yet slender hammers to bear against similar warmachines of rival species.

Ever since, Khaela Llyddaghan and its ilke have been a thorn in the side of the Imperium and later the Suzerainty, and Faensaar the Asurya has been responsible for the destruction of countless god-machines of the Collegia Titanica. His roar of vengeance and rage when entering battle is ever the herald of the cry of panic and awe: "ASPECT TITAN!"