Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

BotL - Monthly fluff challenge

Brotherhood of the Lost

• Please log in to reply
861 replies to this topic

Doctor Perils

Doctor Perils

++ CUNICULARIUS APOLOGUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 4,387 posts
  • Faction: Heretic Astartes (various)
Nightguard would be my vote - it's a long time since we explored them and they probably need updating
  • Kelborn likes this

Kelborn

Kelborn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,508 posts
  • Faction: BotL: XXth Legion - Predators
I'd second that.
tn_gallery_87379_12273_68539.jpg  tn_gallery_87379_12273_193556.jpg  tn_gallery_87379_12273_86064.png

Brotherhood of the Lost: XXth Legiones Astartes, the Predators http://www.bolterand...-the-predators/
Brotherhood of the Lost - The Icarion Insurrection: http://www.bolterand...od-of-the-lost/

Kelborn

Kelborn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,508 posts

Sorry for doubleposting but here's what I got for both, the fluff challenge of February as well as a possible red page about the Grand Tournament. I recommend to read the story I've revised some time ago prior to this one.

As it's the first draft, I'm eager for adjustments! smile.png

Time: 990.M30

The Grand Tournament

After the decisive victory over the so-called Black Judges of Olympia, was the worth of the Imperial Households from across the Imperium finally recognized and officially accepted. Without the deeds of Houses Atreis and Sardok would the final offense on the Obsidian Citadel have turned into a disaster. After the annexation of the Olympian realm, the Emperor decreed an event looking for its peers, a Grand Tournament for the Questoris Familia. Houses from across the Imperium were invited to participate and spectators from all imperial factions and all social classes were called to join the spectacle.

Ordained by the Emperor himself, the Grand Tournament took the form of a festival never seen before within the young Imperium. The Tech-priests of Mars worked night and day to turn the former battlefield of Olympia into a fitting arena, worth of the imperial ambition and the Emperor’s participation. What remained of the Obsidian Citadel was broken down and reused for the creation of stands framing the gigantic arena. Perfectly aligned, the arena was illuminated by the Olympian sun for nearly the entire day. Rows upon rows of stands for all kind of spectators were built, offering space for thousands of viewers, most notably those members and soldiers, who survived the intense war against the Black Judges, as well as high-ranking members of the imperial leadership. A separate lodge, overlooking the entire arena and the surrounding fields was designed for the Emperor himself and several of his sons, the Primarchs. The gigantic encampments, mostly in the form of drop keeps, of the Knight Households were placed in between the arena and the never-resting landing fields. Crafts of all classes continuously landed there to discharge their cargo and supply the Grand Tournament and its adjacent forges with all necessary resources. Such was the pomp and ceremony that accompanied these spectators; few could mistake the importance of the Grand Tournament. The opening ceremonies alone lasted for nearly a week until all Households had gathered and prepared the coming contests. Pilgrims of both, civilian and military origin, streamed to the close-by wreckage of the Olympian tyrant, Ammemnon. The remains of his giant cybernetic carapace were formed into an everlasting memorial for future generations.

While the opening ceremony unfolded, agreements were struck and webs of patronage and machinations were woven within the shadows of the giant arena. Wider alliances were bought and sold in the distant galleries of the ranks and deep within the mountain in which the forges and maintenance facilities of both, the lords of Mars and the Households were built into and were not uncommon to discover corpses discretely hidden in the corners of the former Obsidian Citadel. During the first week of the Grand Tournament, Households from every corner of the conquered galaxy came to represent their homeworlds and proudly face their distant brethren. Houses like Toho, Atreis or Dorath were welcomed with fanfare and cheering crowds. Others like Lothryk or Harkon were more met with suspicion as these Knights were known to be mavericks and outsiders, having only a handful of allies if any at all, like the Iron Bears in the case of House Harkon. Hundreds of manifold banners adorned the arena with the red eagle of House Atreis residing next to the chimera of House Ohrlacc and the chained skulls of House Sardok. Their Knights shined in all kind of colors of their homeworlds. It was a spectacle worthy to proudly present their deeds and legacies. Thousands of mind-wiped servitors were placed all across the arena and the Households refuge, recording everything of note for the wider Imperium and transmitting the hymns of the present Houses and their homeworlds.

The Tournament itself was based on a sophisticated system of victory points and several disciplines to participate. The overall winner would not only achieve eternal glory from the entirety of the Imperium by presenting their skills and proving their worth but furthermore, the victorious Household would earn a temporary seat at the High Questor in the Grand Council on Terra, representing all of the imperial Households. Among these disciplines were both, remnants of ancient Terran traditions, as well as adapted versions of the present Imperium and those of the Knights’ homeworlds. Unarmoured combat, with two scions fighting each other in classic melee duels, sharpshooting contests for both unarmoured and saddled combat, and simulated maneuvers for entire lances were but a small selection of what the tournament had to offer. Each won discipline would also bring a specific title to the victor, honoring the Scions skills.

Though enlisting all of those who attended this momentous festival is beyond the scope of this treatise, it may be considered to some readers, especially those who did not experience firsthand those glory days of the Imperium, to have at their disposal a list of the most important participating Households, as well as the most famous spectators of the Grand Tournament: the Primarchs and those of full representative rank of the Terran Court. For the sake of completeness, also noted are those high-ranking members of the Legiones Astartes of whom their Primarchs were not present.

Those of the Knight Households, which shined out or won at least one discipline of the Grand Tournament along with their earned titles:

• Amphorae-Vitae
• Atreis .……….......................................Kings of the Hill, the Lancemasters, High Questor of the Knightly Houses
• August
• Blinstrubas
• Cadmus
• Dorath
• Draconis
• Harkon.…………………………………………………...........…………….…………………….the Unwavering Shields
• Lostarot
• Lothryk.……………………………………………………………………….............…………………..the Blood Knights
• Minotos
• Mordred
• Ohrlacc…………………………………………………………………............……………………………the Pathfinders
• Qhapaq
• Sunhava
• Toho…………………………………………………………………………............………………….…the Blademasters
• Vyridion………………………………………………………………………….............…………………..the Eagle Eyed
• Zivich………………………………………………………………………………..............………………..the Hawk Eyed

Those present at the Grand Tournament:

• The Emperor
• Malcador the Sigillite, High Proconsul Imerpialis
• Kelbor-Hal, Fabricator-General of Mars
• Lords Militant Tabor Ludovicia and Haldane Ma’lon, Muster of the Imperialis Auxilia
• Grand Admiral Constansa Suati-Falkan, Imperialis Armada
• Constantin Valdor of the Custodian Guard
• Alexandros, Lord of the Vth Legion
• Daer’dd, Lord of the VIth Legion
• Kozja, Lord of the IXth Legion
• Niklaas, Lord of the Xth Legion
• Nomus, Lord of the XVIIIth Legion
• Pionus, Lord of the XIXth Legion

Those representing their Primarchs, who acknowledged the importance of the Tournament but were unable to join in persona:

• Cervantes de Leon, Disciple of Light of the XIIth Legion
• Dorran Kldier, Overlord of the VIIth Legion
• Tincomos, Myrvallen of the IIIrd Legion
• Thoruk, Izinduna of the XXth Legion

Edited by Kelborn, 01 March 2019 - 01:42 PM.

• simison and Beren like this
tn_gallery_87379_12273_68539.jpg  tn_gallery_87379_12273_193556.jpg  tn_gallery_87379_12273_86064.png

Brotherhood of the Lost: XXth Legiones Astartes, the Predators http://www.bolterand...-the-predators/
Brotherhood of the Lost - The Icarion Insurrection: http://www.bolterand...od-of-the-lost/

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,976 posts
  • Faction: Halcyon Wardens, Blood Angels

Judge for last challenge: 

1. Mikhal
  2. Blunt
  3. Kel
  4. San
  5. Demus
  6. Beren
  7. Sim

Checking with Mikhal first.

Project Leader of the Brotherhood of the Lost

The Second Son: Narrative of the BOTL Vth Legion Primarch

Brotherhood of the Lost has arrived on Patreon

gallery_92945_11930_24196.png

Nomus Sardauk

Nomus Sardauk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,148 posts
  • Faction: The Steel Legion
Okay, I'm not used to this whole "judge" schtick so apologies if my analysis is not as through or in-depth as prior judges.

Forgeworld Historic Text Winner - Kelborn with The Great Tournament.

I'm always interested in seeing the Imperium during moments of peace as compared to the usual status quo of constant war, so this story instantly drew me in. I enjoyed reading about how even amid the festivity of an Imperial triumph the squabbling players of the Imperial Court still find time to make underhanded deals and bump off a few rivals in the backrooms out of sight. Another wonderful segment was the section detailing the various games and events of the Tourney both in and out of the saddle, mimicking that of real medieval Knightly competitions which I thought was a nice touch. All this combined with a complete lack of spelling or grammatical errors as far as I could see made The Great Tournament my favoured choice for the Historic Text award.

Black Library Narrative Text - Beren with the Sixth Orta Dossier

This one I like for the sheer level of detail it goes into on the mindset, customs and symbology of the Sin Eaters, showcasing how awfully far from the usual image of a Knight House they are thanks to the Drowned Men's "patronage". The far-flung origins of each Scion and the mystery of their pasts before being pressed into the 16th's service is intriguing, and I really like the little hints at their resentful state with the chains of fealty on their banner being shown as bent and cracked by the indignities the Drowned have forced them to endure. As for spelling and grammar I only found a single spelling error in the entire post, that being in the second sentence of the first Lins-Kragna and Prandar paragraph; "While the term us technically" and this is almost certainly just an example of autocorrect being overzealous. Congrats Beren, enjoy your Black Library Narrative Text Award my friend.

Edited by SanguiniusReborn, 12 March 2019 - 02:34 PM.

• Doctor Perils, simison, Kelborn and 1 other like this
gallery_92945_11930_39378.pngtn_gallery_4536_13905_53919.pngFbm7BxJ.jpg6ACBl6j.jpg
Formerly SanguiniusReborn, proud Creator of the Scarlet Sentinels, my 18th Century British Redcoat Chapter and the Steel Legion, my Cyberpunk-inspired Lost Legion!

Kelborn

Kelborn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,508 posts

Thank you!

It means quite much to me for several reasons:

It means that my English improved over the last years (and that Grammarly is truly worth it :P). Furthermore, the GT was one of the first ideas I've worked on with the team back in the days when I had just joined the BotL.

I used FWs Council of Nikaea red page as a template. It was quite inspiring and gave me something to work with. Glad that you guys like it! :)

Nomus Sardauk

Nomus Sardauk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,148 posts
  • Faction: The Steel Legion
Attention brothers of the lost, the winner of this month's Black Library Narrative Text Award has been decided.
gallery_92945_11930_39378.pngtn_gallery_4536_13905_53919.pngFbm7BxJ.jpg6ACBl6j.jpg
Formerly SanguiniusReborn, proud Creator of the Scarlet Sentinels, my 18th Century British Redcoat Chapter and the Steel Legion, my Cyberpunk-inspired Lost Legion!

Kelborn

Kelborn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,508 posts

I'd say that we continue with the fluff challenge after releasing our first books, eh?

So votes for April are still open.

MikhalLeNoir

MikhalLeNoir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,714 posts
  • Faction: XIth Legion Wardens of Light
April? Dune Serpents. We should start to really flesh them.out

Open for Comissions, just PM me. The Wardens of Light were like golden blades, cutting down their enemies scarring the darkness.

gallery_92945_11930_15891.jpeggallery_78117_10471_62812.pnggallery_92945_11930_12458.png

Kelborn

Kelborn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,508 posts
The next one is a non legion entry. ..

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,976 posts

I'd say that we continue with the fluff challenge after releasing our first books, eh?

So votes for April are still open.

For the general public, yes, the fluff challenge is on hold until we've passed our first publication date.

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,976 posts

Until further notice, the Fluff Challenge will resume in May. We will be giving the spotlight to the Godslayers since they didn't have a proper month.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Brotherhood of the Lost

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users