Building the IXth Legion

gav1892

Hello again fellow brothers and sisters of Baal.

A while back I created a blog as part of an attempt to build my "Imperial Vengeance Fleet", a set of BA and allies sent to scour the galaxy in vengeance for the imperium starting to fall. After a while I realised that actually I was really unhappy with both some of the painting, the posing of the models and the load outs I had given them. So.........to cut a long story short I sold 90% of my models on eBay to start a new BA project.

So the new plan is to build the entire Blood Angels legion, or at least my version of it. Its going to be a long project but I'm excited to get it started and see it grow. The aim is to make it a mix of 30k units and 40k units so I can play both.

So this is my intention, and no it won't be 100% codex compatible as I find it difficult to accept that a space marine legion wouldn't have access to the full armoury and options.

THE GOLDEN HOST

The Primarch Sanguinius (when we eventually get him for 30K)

Lord Commander Dante (40k)

Azkaellon/Sepharan (hopefully we will get a FW character)

29 Sanguinary Guard - 10 Finished - 15 ready to paint

The Sanguinor

THE ARCHANGELS 1ST COMPANY

Captain Raldoron (hopefully a FW character I can use as a 40K captain also)

Command Squad

50 Terminators (a mix of Maximus, Tartaros, Cataphractii) 10 Finished - 5 Ready to paint

The terminators will be assault heavy with a few TDA

30 Vanguard Vets

20 Sternguard

3 Contemptors

(WILL BE A WIP UNTIL WE GET TO SEE WHAT BA SPECIFIC FW UNITS WE GET)

2ND COMPANY "THE BLOODED"

Captain Donatos Aphael

Command Squad

Techmarine and Servitors

​Sanguinary Priest

Librarian

Chaplain

Tactical Squad Favus + Rhino

Tactical Squad Drazen + Rhino

Tactical Squad Gaius + Rhino

Tactical Squad Arvus + Rhino- Ready to paint

Tactical Squad

Tactical Squad

Assault Squad - Ready to paint

Assault Squad - Ready to paint

Devastator Squad + RazorbackReady to paint

Devastator Squad + RazorbackReady to paint

3 Furioso's - 1 Finished

3RD COMPANY - 5TH COMPANY

Captain with Command Squad - 

6 Tactical Squads

2 Assault Squads

2 Dev Squads 

3 Dreads in each

6TH - 7TH COMPANIES

Captain with Command Squad

10 Tactical Squads (potentially Primaris Marines)

3 Venerable Dreads in 6th

3 Deredeo's in 7th

8TH COMPANY

Captain with Command Squad (all JP)

7 Assault Squads

Squad of Breachers

20 Bikes - 6 + 1 Assault bike complete

Assault Centurions

3 Leviathan Assault Dreads

9TH COMPANY

9 Dev Squads (all with different heavy weapons inc grav cannon squad)

6 Dev Centurions - 3 Ready to paint

3 Leviathan Heavy Weapon Dreads

10TH COMPANY

Mix of scouts and scout bikers

(Struggling with this one as I think that scouts are the weakest kits aesthetically that GW make)

Land Speeder Squads

RECLUSIAM

Astorath the Grim

Squad of Erelim

10 Chaplains - 1 Chaplain in each company (1st and 2nd Company done)

(mix of JP, Bike and TDA)

Lemartes (leader of DC) - Painting

4 DC Chaplains

1 DC squad in Storm Raven (x5)

1 DC squad in rhino (x10)

1 DC squad in Drop Pod (x10)

1 JP Unit (X10)

3 DC Dreads - 1 Finished

SANGUINARY PRIESTS

Corbulo

1 Sanguinary Priest per company (2nd and 3rd Company done)

1 Sanguinary Novitiate per Command Squad

1 DC Sanguinary Priest

LIBRARIUM

Mephiston

1 Librarian per company (1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Company done)

1 DC Librarian

2 Librarian Dreads - 1 Finished

ARMOURY

Master Techmarine and Command Squad

1 Techmarine per company with servitor squad (2nd Company done)

A few rapier cannons, thunder fire cannons, quad mortars

TRANSPORTS

FLYERS.....

Golden Stormbird for Sanginius

Golden thunder hawk for Dante and SG

DC Storm raven

4-5 Storm ravens - 1 FINISHED

Squad of Storm Talons

2-3 Xiphons

Storm Eagle (1st Company)

2 Fire Raptors - 1 FINISHED

Assault Ram

Ground.......

1st Company will be manly LR with a few Spartans and a Mastodon thrown in

Other companies will be a mix of rhinos, razorbacks, LR, Drop pods and a few other specials like a Damocles and some command tanks for captains

A number of heavy artillery vehicles such as vindicators (FW and GW variants), Whirlwinds, Hunter, Stalker and FW medusa/basalisk

Squad of Sicarans 1 Finished

Fellblade, Typhon, Cerberus, Falchion

BAAL Predator squadron 2-3 1 Finished

So that my plans and I've no doubt missed things out but I will add those as I go but hopefully things like the ETL will keep me going on this endeavour

Hopefully I might get to play a lot more as well 

Edited by gav1892

A noble and expensive undertaking. 

Do you know where you'll start?

What might help you break up the monotony of painting 440 tactical marines is that the 6th Co and 7th Co can be fielded as fully bike or land speeder mounted respectively. That's the direction I'm going in, I feel. 

Yeah... This is pretty much my eventual goal; I'll stop when I have a Chapter, honest!

Didn't you have a Warhound? Was wondering what happened to it...

No but the plan is still to get one.

A noble and expensive undertaking. 

Do you know where you'll start?

What might help you break up the monotony of painting 440 tactical marines is that the 6th Co and 7th Co can be fielded as fully bike or land speeder mounted respectively. That's the direction I'm going in, I feel. 

Im probably going to start with the 2nd Company and the DC as well as getting as many of the chaplains/SP/Libbys done as I can. I was going to start with the 1st Company and work back but the problem is that we don't know what we are going to get from FW yet.

First pics will be up as soon as I get a chance. The kids have chicken pox which is slowing me down this week

Are you going to try and fully magnetise the army(not including things that don't have options i.e. standard bolter tac marines)? Also please can you do a guide on how you did the hands and combi-weapon. Thanks

Are you going to try and fully magnetise the army(not including things that don't have options i.e. standard bolter tac marines)? Also please can you do a guide on how you did the hands and combi-weapon. Thanks

Some of the army will be magnetised like assault squad jump packs, but mostly things will be done normally as I'm pretty sure I can squeeze every option in somewhere or another.

Which hands and combo weapon do you mean

Some of the army will be magnetised like assault squad jump packs, but mostly things will be done normally as I'm pretty sure I can squeeze every option in somewhere or another.

IDK, I think I'm going mad as I was googling how to do it when I came across your post and was still thinking about magnetising stuff so just sort of carried on without thinking. :wacko.: :biggrin.:

IDK, I think I'm going mad as I was googling how to do it when I came across your post and was still thinking about magnetising stuff so just sort of carried on without thinking. :wacko.: :biggrin.:

Lol thats ok Im going to magnetise my assault squads will put a tutorial up as part of the blog if you like

Ok so here is the first part of my build, and where better to start than with the man himself..........DANTE!

Love the character of Dante although I felt the model is a bit underwhelming for such an important character. Ive done a bit of chopping though not as much as I would have liked.

med_gallery_60125_11848_137252.jpgmed_gallery_60125_11848_23773.jpg

The first thing I changed was the hideous jump pack he comes with. In the fluff of my version of the force the only people who can wear the Sanguine Wings are Dante and those granted the honour by him. So straight on went a Sanguinary Guard winged jump pack, to hopefully make him look more like a chapter master. The next thing I changed was the Axe Mortalis, it just doesn't look big enough to be a relic weapon, so on went a modified Sanguinary Guard axe with one of the blades removed. Being fail cast I had to pin the hand and then use liquid green stuff to seal the join, I think its come out pretty well though. I really wanted to remove the whole left arm and replace it with a better pose but after testing it on a metal Dante model I had lying around I realised my skills with Green Stuff aren't quite good enough to replace the missing parts of the body when it was removed. I even tried replacing the inferno pistol with a wrist mounted Sanguinary Guard one, but it just looked weird, almost like Dante is actually a smaller model. Finally to get the pose to work I felt he needed to be in the air, so I used a spare TAU drone flyer base to create the base (its only a part finished base) and used Green Stuff to add a small area it could go into which is hidden on the join between model and jump pack.

I love the model and the rules are pretty good, however I wish the axe was AP1 and that he had a proper invulnerable save (instead of Iron Halo) but he is still a monster. I can't wait to actually get to play 40K with him.

Oh and he is also going to be kept for part of my first ETL vow :wink:

Edited by gav1892

This is one ambitious goal. Good luck!

I posted a thread here pretty recently where I've magnetised the heavy, special, and sergeant in my tac squad. Combi weapon is magnetised as well. There's a couple of pics in there but I can post more info there if that would help?

There are no Death Company Librarians, 30K or 40K. The closest to this is Mephiston Lord of Death.

Hence the reason why its MY version of the chapter. It wouldn't be a librarian who has fallen to the black rage but one that is attached to the DC to assist in the task at hand.

Im almost looking at the DC as another company 

Edited by gav1892

Latest update.

Decided to make my own Lightbox today to get some new pictures of my first 5 finished Sanguinary Guard (finished except the base as I'm not sure what to do yet). 5 more are built but I've just got to find some more FW Ashen Circle jump packs on eBay first.

med_gallery_60125_11848_316987.jpgmed_gallery_60125_11848_148268.jpg

I rebased these with the new size bases and repainted the power weapons as I wasn't happy with them

Edited by gav1892

I also took a quick break from painting Blood Angels to finish the Assassin models, which I must say were great fun. Definitely worthy allies to the IXth legion.

med_gallery_60125_11848_721125.jpgmed_gallery_60125_11848_980582.jpgmed_gallery_60125_11848_924702.jpgmed_gallery_60125_11848_702366.jpg

Looking forward to adding a few more allies to break up painting red

UPDATE - 20/03/2017

So I went on a bit of a building spree this weekend and managed to build the following

- 10 more sanguinary guard with banner (NOTE TO SELF NEXT TIME DON'T DO A CONVERSION WITH WHAT SEEMS TO BE THE MOST EXPENSIVE JUMP PACK EVER ON eBAY)

med_gallery_60125_11848_527360.jpg

- Re-based and part re-painted the Sanguinor, which is now finished

- 2 Tactical Squads for my 2nd Company

med_gallery_60125_11848_283719.jpg

- 1 Squad of TDA termniators

- 3 Grav Dev Centurions

- Librarian

I also managed to finish painting Dante, I was going to leave him for the ETL but I think I will have enough points to choose from anyway.

Pictures will follow for Sanguinor and Dante

Edited by gav1892

Yeah, the SG packs are in high demand, especially since the Plastic Calth box. Everyone wants easy MkIV Assault Marines.

Those are the Word Bearer Ashen Circle packs im using, got 5 more on order from eBay but had to get them from Germany and lets just say they weren't cheap! In fact it might work out cheaper to actually buy the kits from FW

Also there's practically no reason to ever build SG without their Jump Packs so it's not like people have them lying around in their bitz box. ^^

Agreed. I bought some SG from a friend but had 1 set of wings missing. Been a pain trying to get a set so that I can start to build my Erelim.

SG packs are also in high demand i think, due to heresy and whatnot. You might be able to recoup some money on sg by selling their packs and buying ashen circle. Unless you need SG packs also.

EDIT:

Nice to see things flashing up green in the first post, progress!

Edited by Xenith

SG packs are also in high demand i think, due to heresy and whatnot. You might be able to recoup some money on sg by selling their packs and buying ashen circle. Unless you need SG packs also.

EDIT:

Nice to see things flashing up green in the first post, progress!

Yeah thats the plan, I only needed 5 extra SG packs for my Erelim the rest will be sold or traded along with the SG banners

Looking forward to being able to knock a full company off as green to get me started