Night Lords Novels & Suggested reading order

Can I get a recommendation for anything and everything - Night Lords:  Novels, Short Stories, Old Codices, Black Library, Forgeword etc.  - HH and 40k

and in some kind of suggested chronological order, I'm kinda funny like that.

I just went back and reread all the Word Bearers stuff in order to get the big picture of Calth.  I  even went back and reread Battle for the Abyss  yeah crazy i know but i never finished it the first time around.  Anyways long story short...

If  ADB's writing can make the Word Bearers sound super awesome, I'm interested to see what how great the Night Lords turn out.  I mean I was on the verge of starting a Word Bearers army ( and still might ) I enjoyed those books so much.   Plus I also collect DA so naturally I'd like to learn more about the Night Lords and Thramas Crusade.

I have listened to Throne of Lies and while the voice acting kinda distracted from the story - I'd like to know more about this story.  From what I gather it seems to kinda pick up in the middle of things.

Thanks in advance

I didn't read everything, but my suggestion would be:

Codex CSM 3.5

Index Astartes Book II

The Horus Heresy Book II - Massacre (FW)

For setting the mood, then:

Lord of the Night

Pharos

The Night Lords Omnibus

Red Tithe

I actually didn't enjoy how the VIII are presented in Pharos, they were clearly NPCs without any credit or warfare insight. The other books were really enjoyable, however.

perfect exactly what i was looking for!

re: Pharos - yeah wasn't a huge fan of Unremembered Empire and the Imp Secundus story arc so thanks - might skip that one now that I know NL are the side act.

Ok so the Omnibus includes:

Soul Hunter, Blood Reaver and Void Stalker, plus additional short stories.

Just out of curiosity does anyone have this on hand and can name the short stories?

Prince of Crows and Child of the Night - do they precede Savage Weapons?

Thanks again!  Putting together an order.

Savage weapons first, then child of night, then prince of crows.

The order doesn't really matter for the last 2 I think that's how they fall chronologically within the universe.

They do indeed better read in that order. With follow-up of Pharos and incoming NL novella

Ok perfect!  I've already been thru Savage Weapons because of the Dark Angels.

Is this the first appearance of Sevatar in the novels?

Would like to know more of his back story and Savage Weapons implies there is a long history between him and El Johnson during the 2 years of the Thramas Crusade.

Also currently reading fluff from FW Massacre - so if more back story on Sevetar is in there I haven't gotten to it yet.

So far really digging the history behind the Children of the Night in the FW book.

Ok perfect! I've already been thru Savage Weapons because of the Dark Angels.

Is this the first appearance of Sevatar in the novels?

Would like to know more of his back story and Savage Weapons implies there is a long history between him and El Johnson during the 2 years of the Thramas Crusade.

Also currently reading fluff from FW Massacre - so if more back story on Sevetar is in there I haven't gotten to it yet.

So far really digging the history behind the Children of the Night in the FW book.

Savage weapons short - it's a second Sevatar appearance in HH. First was during a traitors council before Istvaan 5 in 'First Heretic'.

'Would like to know more of his back story and Savage Weapons implies there is a long history between him and El Johnson during the 2 years of the Thramas Crusade.' - not so, Lion El Jonson does not know anything about Sevatar except the fact that he is a First Captain of NL. From Lion perspective - Sevatar is a little overzealous cockroach, nothing more teehee.gif

More fluff in Massacre, some mentioning in book 4 and 5. Also after the Prince of Crows but before 'Pharos' you need to listen/read short 'The Long Night'. It's directly about Sevatar.

If you are for the NL in general HH/W40K and not only Sevatar - then you should definitely read 'Lord of the Night' from Spurrier.

And you should wait for the incoming in 2018 'Angelus' HH book 8 from the Forge World. 1/3 of it will focus fluff wise on Thramas Crusade. And through it's a fluff book about DA/BA - it will contain a lot of info on NL in Thramas warzone

I would also recommend the following (first one not focused mainly on NL but featuring them):

1. The Masters, Bidding - featured in Treacheries of the Space Marines (Anthology)

By Matthew Farrer
The Dreadnought master of an Iron Warriors warband, Chengrel, has made his home from an crashed Ork Krooza on a planet where the Imperium of man doesn't reach, and finds an unexpected windfall in the form of a cache of Eldar Spirit Stones. He sends out envoys to his peers to invite them to win them with a bid and a story of destruction to impress him. He is answered by Hodir of the Night Lords, Drachmus of the Word Bearers, Emmesh-Aiye of the Emperor's Children, and Khrove of the Thousand Sons. Each has their own tale, and the winner secures a prize of priceless value.

2. The Painted Count (Short Story)

by Guy Haley
Gendor Skraivok seeks to master the unholy weapon that has chosen him to wield it.
Distrusted by his allies and despised by his rivals, Gendor Skraivok nonetheless seeks to claw back the leadership of the Night Lords Legion for himself, by fair means or foul...
Following the disastrous invasion of Sotha and the dimming of the Pharos' light, Gendor Skraivok languishes on board the VIII Legion flagship Nightfall. Distrusted by his allies and despised by his rivals, he nonetheless means to claw back leadership of the Night Lords from the pretender Captain Shang, by fair means or foul. And, rather than a portent of doom, the daemonic blade that seems to have chosen him as its bearer may be the answer…

3. there are also two short stories covering some NL plot in Renegades of the Dark Millennium (Anthology):

Bring the Night by Rob Sanders 

End of Night by Ben Counter 

but i have read them so long ago that I don't really remember what they were all about and I can't find any synopsis to post. I guess its time to reread them soon 

Lord of the Night

Its old and I guess it is dificult to find, but I have a soft spot for that one. The first night lord novel. Great story, great characters, great description of an hive planet.

From a character viewpoint, it studies the burden of memory, of doubting what the past truly was, and finding out how everything can become a lie. In this case, the question is: who was really Konrad Curze? It turns out even his closest sons had no idea.

I really recomend it. Specially if you read the night lord trilogy by ADB after that. It provides a lot of perpective on those questions. Thats what makes the night lords the most complex legion to my taste.

Lord of the Night

Its old and I guess it is dificult to find, but I have a soft spot for that one. The first night lord novel. Great story, great characters, great description of an hive planet.

From a character viewpoint, it studies the burden of memory, of doubting what the past truly was, and finding out how everything can become a lie. In this case, the question is: who was really Konrad Curze? It turns out even his closest sons had no idea.

I really recomend it. Specially if you read the night lord trilogy by ADB after that. It provides a lot of perpective on those questions. Thats what makes the night lords the most complex legion to my taste.

Perspective and some answers. But at the same time it shows that views can differ. At the same time asking new questions

Archived