Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1850 - CAD w/Skyhammer & Shadowstrike Kill Team

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Noxnoctis22

Noxnoctis22

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 557 posts
I'm kinda stuck on what I should do with my DW CAD in the list below. I'm trying out a SHAF & SSKT combo and I want a DW CAD to lead them but I can't seem to get the CAD set right. Always seem to have a bit of extra points that I don't know what to do with. Any changes or suggestion on the list below?

Deathwatch (CAD)

Librarian - Bolt pistol; Force sword; Dominius Aegis

Veterans - 5x Stalker pattern boltgun              
Veterans - 4x Deathwatch frag cannon; 1x Deathwatch shotgun/SS; Drop Pod

Aegis Defense Line - Quad-gun

Skyhammer Annihilation Force

Devastator Squad - 4x Grav-cannon; Drop Pod 
Devastator Squad - 4x Multi-melta; Drop Pod

Assault squad - 1x Melta bombs; Jump pack

Shadowstrike Kill Team

Scout Squad - 5x Camo cloak; Boltgun 
Scout Squad - 5x Camo cloak; Sniper rifle 

Vanguard Veteran Squad - 5x Jump packs; 2x TH/SS; 3x LC/PF
Vanguard Veteran Squad - 5x Jump packs; 2x TH/SS; 3x LC/PF

* Models: 59
* Units: 15
* Warp charges: 1

Kargrym

Kargrym

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 94 posts
You have the points, give all the frag cannons Stormshields as well.

Per the FAQ:

Q: Can Veterans take a storm shield and a heavy weapon? It only says they need to swap out a bolter for the heavy weapons and a close combat weapon for the storm shield, but heavy weapons are normally two-handed.
A: Yes.

This FAQ makes makes my brain hurt.
  • Noxnoctis22 likes this

Noxnoctis22

Noxnoctis22

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 557 posts

I really do like you idea but it's 285 points for 5-man squad with 4x Frag Cannons/SS in a DP. Do you feel that it's worth the points?

A 3++ save 4 times over is a tough nut to crack though...

Kargrym

Kargrym

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 94 posts

I really do like you idea but it's 285 points for 5-man squad with 4x Frag Cannons/SS in a DP. Do you feel that it's worth the points?

A 3++ save 4 times over is a tough nut to crack though...

Is there something else you want to use the points for? If not then having everything with 3++ will be a giant pain in the ass to kill and you will get a second or by god 3rd round of killy death behind the enemy lines before they are finally tabled. You might run out of targets lol.

You could also make the Librarian level 2, add 1 SS on the frag cannons and give the shotgun/SS an Auspex to reduce cover on those solid shells from cover.

Azure Hammer

Azure Hammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 57 posts
  • Chapter Name: Deathwatch

This question isn't so much about the CAD portion, sorry, but with the Annihilation Formation...do they get chapter tactics? If so which do you go with?

Noxnoctis22

Noxnoctis22

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 557 posts

This question isn't so much about the CAD portion, sorry, but with the Annihilation Formation...do they get chapter tactics? If so which do you go with?

More than likely straight up UM.

Noxnoctis22

Noxnoctis22

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 557 posts

Updated list...

Deathwatch (CAD)

Librarian - Bolt pistol; Force sword; Dominius Aegis

Veterans - 5x Stalker pattern boltgun              
Veterans - 4x Deathwatch frag cannon/SS; 1x Watch Sgt. w/Auspex; Drop Pod

Aegis Defense Line - Quad-gun

Skyhammer Annihilation Force - Ultramarines

Devastator Squad - 4x Grav-cannon; Drop Pod; Locator Beacon
Devastator Squad - 4x Multi-melta; Drop Pod; Locator Beacon

Shadowstrike Kill Team - Raven Guard

Scout Squad - 5x Camo cloak; Boltgun; Land Speeder Storm w/Heavy Bolter
Scout Squad - 5x Camo cloak; Sniper rifle 

Vanguard Veteran Squad - 5x Jump packs; 1x TH/SS; 1x PF/SS; 3x LC/PF
Vanguard Veteran Squad - 5x Jump packs; 1x TH/SS; 1x PF/SS; 3x LC/PF

* Models: 60
* Units: 16
* Warp charges: 1

Noxnoctis22

Noxnoctis22

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 557 posts

Below is an image of the 4x Frag Cannons w/SS.

17240059_10209315486869803_6239201320441

Kargrym

Kargrym

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 94 posts
That looks badass. Normally I would say its point expensive but in your case it was spare.

Right now I am staring at mine wondering which is better. A guy with a storm shield and a guy with a frag cannon, or 1 guy with both.

For the price of 1 new guy with a storm shield, you could give 3 existing guys storm shields. I know bodies on the field and all, but still...

Tell me how they work out.

Noxnoctis22

Noxnoctis22

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 557 posts

I'll definitely let you know how goes.

A squad with 4 Frag Cannons & SS are putting out great firepower and won't go do easily either. I don't need cover either so they can fire right out in the open. They can't be ignored either but you'll have to get through that 3++ 4 times over.

We shall see...

Kargrym

Kargrym

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 94 posts

So how did the match go?

Edited by Kargrym, 20 March 2017 - 08:26 PM.

Noxnoctis22

Noxnoctis22

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 557 posts

I went 2-1, came in 7th place overall out of 18 players. 4th through 8th place was tight and was based on points from the 3 games. The 1 lose really hurt

Game 1 - WIN - Eldar - 13-5

Game 2 - LOSE - Ynnari/Tau - 1-19

Game 3 - Win - Tau - 10-9

The Frag Cannon unit was the auto delete unit. They landed and kill something getting me "First Strike" and Maelstrom Points as well. They would die every game but it would take 2-4 units to kill them with shooting. I'd have to play them more to see how the work against other armies. 

Kargrym

Kargrym

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 94 posts

so would you say that 4 fragcannon/stormshields were more effective than 1 guy in front using a storm shield an 4 frag cannons behind him? Was the auspex worth it? did they ever last more than a round?

Noxnoctis22

Noxnoctis22

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 557 posts

I can't say if they're more effective the way I took them over 1 extra Veteran with a SS as I haven't ran that yet. The auspex was only used once or twice in all the games, most targets were out in the open anyway. The squad on average was able to get 2 rounds of shooting in, maybe 3 but not sure. They killed something and my opponent made sure that they wouldn't be able to do that again, so in a way to took a lot of heat off other units for a turn or two.

Noxnoctis22

Noxnoctis22

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 557 posts

A few things I've thought of after my games...

1 - I took a DW biker w/MB & Power Sword instead of the Quad Gun. Didn't do much, can use those points else where. At least it did more than a Quad Gun would have done, faced no flyers.

2 - The ADL did pretty well for me. I always had it protecting an objective and when I had to go to ground to make sure I stayed on that objective a 2+ cover save was well worth it.

3 - Maybe making the Devastator Squads a full 10-man so I could combat squad them may have been better was I could fire on my targets the turn they land. Also would have given me some bodies to take the wounds before the heavy weapons.

4 - My VV squads may have been too strong. When they made an assault they would delete mostly everything in 1 turn. I would rather for them to be stuck in combat during my opponent's turn so they wouldn't get blasted in the face. It's a hard thing to manage but maybe I can tone them down and save some points.

So far that's a bit of what I took from the list and the games I played.

Azure Hammer

Azure Hammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 57 posts
  • Chapter Name: Deathwatch

How did you handle the Interceptor on the Tau? We have one Tau player who consistently shows up to the local Tournaments and since he knows he is going to face at least three marines he is always loaded down with Interceptor.

Noxnoctis22

Noxnoctis22

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 557 posts

How did you handle the Interceptor on the Tau? We have one Tau player who consistently shows up to the local Tournaments and since he knows he is going to face at least three marines he is always loaded down with Interceptor.

I just took it on the chin really. I haven't faced too much Tau in my games but 2 out 3 games this time was rough.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users