Gathering Storm 3 Lore (spoilers)

Ishagu

1am and I have finished the book Brothers... WOW

I must admit that it was a bit of a roller coaster emotionally and I did well up a little with joy at the vision of his rising from the auto relicary to cleave that Bezerker in two. A sight to behold it must have been.

And the scene where his companions can only watch as Fateweaver and his followers bind him in his of torment as he tries in futility to fight on through the daemons besetting the bridge of the Macragge's Honour. I can only imagine the utter grief at seeing Guilliman bound and being helpless to aid him.

So much in that story to draw up emotion, probably amplified by the background music of Gregiorio Allegri's choral masterpieces I have been playing during my evening buried in this book.

I hear you, brother!

One thing that irked me early on was the overuse of Stormravens in the story. Like...Thunderhawks are the main gunship darn it! But it looks like they're in the story quite a bit in the second act, so that's cool. 

Still reading. Page 47.

Act II was decent, Act III was mediocre.

Overall, a ripping good yarn full of lots of new information for me to input. I'm going to have to reread some fluff, because I think they royally screwed up with the Blackstone but maybe they didn't.

I was looking at the new map of Ultramar and I count about 27 planets (28 if planetoids were included) instead of the 11 that were previously stated. Maybe the planet count for Ultramar should be updated?

This means the population is much bigger than I thought. I previously assumed it was 4.4 billion when I was doing my Ultramar vs. Tau Empire post but now it seems like its more than 10 times that number.

It isn't. There are expanded views of the following systems: Macragge, Veridian, Masali, and Talasa.

Raaaaats. Yeah I picked up the digital version. I thought it was going to be the classic space marine map with updated boarders and stuff like that. Ah well, still looking forward to it.

Finished mine yesterday. Wow, after I realized that you have to read not like 'usual' book it's really good.

The part on Luna where he battled Magnus with the maidens on his side was just awesome and shows that he can deliver if he has to. Just awesome.

What I do like about the successors is that as an UM player you have an excuse now to use different painted Tacticals in you army. :D

Whta I didn't like. Tigurius disobeying a direct order form Marneus. That was way to quick. Would have liked a bit of development there. 

Overall nice book. And I shot the primarch for 20€. Woohoo!

I'm starting to wonder if Guilliman's decision to take Cato Sicarius as the commander of his Ultramarine force (1st, 2nd and 3rd companies) on his journey to Terra was in part...political. Cato has long vied for the position of Chapter Master and much of the 2nd company seems to ascribe to this notion as well, despite the fact that it is unheard of for a second company captain to go straight to chapter master. Perhaps Guilliman saw his ambition and realised that he would definitely undermine the leadership of whoever he left behind to guard Ultramar. Therefore, he took Cato with him because he would be far away from Chapter politics and in a place where the primarch could keep an eye on him. 

I'm starting to wonder if Guilliman's decision to take Cato Sicarius as the commander of his Ultramarine force (1st, 2nd and 3rd companies) on his journey to Terra was in part...political. Cato has long vied for the position of Chapter Master and much of the 2nd company seems to ascribe to this notion as well, despite the fact that it is unheard of for a second company captain to go straight to chapter master. Perhaps Guilliman saw his ambition and realised that he would definitely undermine the leadership of whoever he left behind to guard Ultramar. Therefore, he took Cato with him because he would be far away from Chapter politics and in a place where the primarch could keep an eye on him.

Or... OR... And bear with me on this...

Instead of reading into it and acting like a character flaw introduced to add flavor and humanity to a transhuman super-warrior monk is indicative of a defective Space Marine, we remember that Cato is a brilliant commander, respected by his men, and the most skilled combatant of a generation of transhuman super-warrior monks. He's commander of the Victrix Guard because of course he is. The primarch marches to fire and battle...into the braying of the very dogs of hell. Ultramar's best follow. And they are led by Cato censored.gif Sicarius.

Or... OR... And bear with me on this...

Instead of reading into it and acting like a character flaw introduced to add flavor and humanity to a transhuman super-warrior monk is indicative of a defective Space Marine, we remember that Cato is a brilliant commander, respected by his men, and the most skilled combatant of a generation of transhuman super-warrior monks. He's commander of the Victrix Guard because of course he is. The primarch marches to fire and battle...into the braying of the very dogs of hell. Ultramar's best follow. And they are led by Cato censored.gif Sicarius.

Heh, I understand your point. However, Fall of Damnos does go into the politicking quite a bit. There it is revealed that Cato has been having shady meetings with the senators and legates on Maccrage and is fostering a very separatist attitude within his company. The older veterans want no part in it but the new recruits are slowly starting to share in the idea of Cato being the new chapter master. Severus Agemman notices this of course and sends a small 1st company "reinforcement" to keep an eye on him.

All in all, I really do hope this aspect of the Ultramarines is further expanded upon. It really fits their Roman motif msn-wink.gif

I'm with Ed. Sicarius is a badass. Reckless maybe, but striving to do his best. It's kind of like the in-universe 'rumour' that the Ultramarines absorbed the lost legions. Some people in-universe see Sicarius vying for command of the chapter and assume malicious intent. Every marine should be fighting as hard as he can in every situation!

I'm with Ed. Sicarius is a badass. Reckless maybe, but striving to do his best. It's kind of like the in-universe 'rumour' that the Ultramarines absorbed the lost legions. Some people in-universe see Sicarius vying for command of the chapter and assume malicious intent. Every marine should be fighting as hard as he can in every situation!

Oh I don't doubt that he believes he is doing whats best for the Chapter. In fact, thats the exact reasoning he uses to justify his stance in Fall of Damnos. He believes it is in the chapter's best interest that he succeed Lord Calgar, not Agemman.

Oh I don't doubt that he believes he is doing whats best for the Chapter. In fact, thats the exact reasoning he uses to justify his stance in Fall of Damnos. He believes it is in the chapter's best interest that he succeed Lord Calgar, not Agemman.

He might be right.  And it would mean that Calgar is not the leader of men we are told he is if all this is brewing and he's still very much alive and well.

Either way, Cato is on Terra because he's the primarch's man now.

If you guys listen to the Chapter Tactics podcast I appear on the latest episode to discuss GSIII

Me and Pablo decide that Guilliman can break the 4th wall and takes Cato because he's protected by Plot armour :-P

If you guys listen to the Chapter Tactics podcast I appear on the latest episode to discuss GSIII

Me and Pablo decide that Guilliman can break the 4th wall and takes Cato because he's protected by Plot armour :-P

Do you have a link?

He might be right.  And it would mean that Calgar is not the leader of men we are told he is if all this is brewing and he's still very much alive and well.

Either way, Cato is on Terra because he's the primarch's man now.

Oh? What do you mean by that? I'm curious.

Archived