The Grimdark Harvest: Evil Sunz Meganob

Great work really captures a fall to chaos vibe. Nothing I can say that hasn't been said so I'll just say again great work.

-Noctem

Thanks for the praise!

Awesome new details, the teeth look amazing! Will you have a wrecked crisis suit on the base? I think fire in all four exhausts would be better than just the two taller ones. Brilliant work as usual, looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks brother, the story was more of a joke than anything else, but maybe, just maybe, if I turn out to be too crazy, I'll sculpt a wrecked crisis suit on the base with greenstuff :P.

ooh, I can't wait for the finished product, looking good so far.

Thanks, the building is almost done but the painting could take a while...

This head looks really good on this knight !! Great job :wink:

Thanks a lot, it was a cool bit that didn't fit with the theme of my Harvesters of Souls, so I decided to use it here and see how it turned out.

Looking good! Cannot wait to see those details painted up.

Thanks for compliments! Actually you've brought up an interesting issue: I was thinking of painting the whole thing in white with black trims and details but covered in dark red tribal markings that occupied most of the space, which leaves me without any obvious colour to paint the carvings with... Lava orange maybe to match with the fire of the exhaust pipes and the base?

So, I know it's been some time, but the release of Mass Effect Andromeda combined with the two days of vacations I had in which I went out have seriously reduced my productivity this past days... However I'm back! I don't have too much of an update because of what I said before, but I wanted to post something ;):

med_gallery_92948_12966_186140.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12966_350563.jpg

First up, as promised, I made the hook of the Foe-reaper Sword and chained the power plant. The chains don't look as good as the last ones but on the other hand I like a lot how the sword looks now, making it more similar to the FW model (and giving that sweet reroll on the D table angainst super-heavies and gargantuans!).

med_gallery_92948_12966_471839.jpg

I also tried putting the hooks of the banner downwards as you guys suggested, and I have to admit that I like it better this way... What do you think?

med_gallery_92948_12966_7961.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12966_63758.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12966_85494.jpg

At last I sculpted the first flame burst coming out of the exhausts and, even though it wasn't an easy process, I'm quite happy with how it has turned out. I had never sculpted fire before, so I did a bit of searching through the internet, but everything I found involved using the pincers to "pull out" flames and I didn't like how it looked at the end nor did I own pincers to try it out! So I tried adding little cones and pointy tubes to the side which I like much more... Any opinions on it? Wouldn't anyone know by chance how GW sculptors make fire on their new models, like the new Guilliman's braziers :P?

Just have left the other three fires, properly magnetising the guns and most of the base before I start the painting stage, hopefully all of that will be done through the course of this week!

The hook looks great, is it all GS? The banner hooks certainly do look better facing down. This isn't a guide but Ashmantle has some brilliant flames sculpted on his salamanders that might serve as inspiration (including a brazier on the last page). Your flames are already looking pretty great (the picture in the middle in particular). Looking forward to seeing what you do for the base, crisis suit or not :teehee:.

Very very nice!

As for color maybe a pinkish glow in the cracks. I think that would look cool and I think that's a popular warp color haha. I think building parts floated when being constructed in pinkish aura in the older DoW games if memory serves.

The hook looks great, is it all GS? The banner hooks certainly do look better facing down. This isn't a guide but Ashmantle has some brilliant flames sculpted on his salamanders that might serve as inspiration (including a brazier on the last page). Your flames are already looking pretty great (the picture in the middle in particular). Looking forward to seeing what you do for the base, crisis suit or not :teehee:.

Thanks! The hook has a plasticard base, I added the greenstuff to give it volume. I checked Ashmamtle's work, certainly got inspired, thanks for the link! Also, I didn't make the wrecked crisis at the end, I think it would have been excessive...

Very very nice!

As for color maybe a pinkish glow in the cracks. I think that would look cool and I think that's a popular warp color haha. I think building parts floated when being constructed in pinkish aura in the older DoW games if memory serves.

Thanks brother! Pinkish is actually a pretty good idea, will try out some different schemes certainly. And yes, totally remember how it was in DoW, will try to achieve that!

I finished the fires, completed the base and magnetised the guns, just as I said, so here he is, all finished up:

gallery_92948_12966_159865.jpeg

med_gallery_92948_12966_618913.jpegmed_gallery_92948_12966_484562.jpeg

Tomorrow I don't think I'll progress at all, but if I catch good weather in Saturday I'll try and get him primed.

Ran out of likes. Superb work. Prime tomorrow, paint saturday xD

Thanks a lot! I wish I had the time, but life has been pretty busy lately...

The knight looks great completed! Is the base going to be painted as a bubbling swamp/lava? Looking forward to the seeing it painted (as well as Magnus :wink:)!

Thanks, the base is going to be painted as lava, just to change from my usual schemes. I'll get back to Magnus... eventually :(

As promised, I primed him today:

gallery_92948_12966_746957.jpeg

I decided to prime the armour plates in white to speed things up (actually forgot the chestplate :|) and I'll be making some progress on him through the week. However, I have an apocalypse game next Sunday and I plan to bring my Tetrard, but base colours are required on all models so I'll have to spend some time on my recent daemon prince...

thats very cool. I'll definitely be pinching some of the ideas for my non demon knights.

Thanks, it means a lot coming from you, your own knight was a great source of inspiration! However I would be very interested to know exactly what conversion on this Knight can be used for a loyal one, everything I did except for the base was chaosifying him! ;)

I toyed around with different schemes today and I'm tore between two concepts:

med_gallery_92948_12966_504473.jpeg

This is still very early WIP, only the some of the patterns on the shoulder pad are finished.

1: The shoulder pad shows a more baroque style, every inch covered in red patterns. While it is cool, I don't know if it is just too much.

2: The other piece of armour shows a more simple pattern, but it shows too much white, which I specifically didn't want to happen... The painted patterns of the shoulder pad without the rest of the things would also be an example of how this would look

Any opinions would be very much appreciated!

Wow amazing freehand as usual! I like the shoulder pad more as the bits of white showing through the red look nicer to me than the other piece of armor with mostly white. If you go with option one you could add to part of the fluff being that the patterns covering the armor hurt to look at and drove people insane. Looking forward to seeing more! 

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool shoulder pad.

Not to put words on Mechanist mouth, but I think he means non daemonically possessed knights instead of loyalist ones.

Thanks, that would make sense I guess :P.

Wow amazing freehand as usual! I like the shoulder pad more as the bits of white showing through the red look nicer to me than the other piece of armor with mostly white. If you go with option one you could add to part of the fluff being that the patterns covering the armor hurt to look at and drove people insane. Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks brother, went for option one at the end as you suggested. That is certainly some cool concept, but I suppose it will be the buyer the one to decide such things, it is going to be hurtful to give him away...

So, sorry for the delay but I'm back! I had to paint a daemon prince for an apocalypse game this Sunday (about which you can learn more in my WIP thread at my signature) and yesterday I was sick and my headache grew when I tried to paint so, as you can guess, it was not a productive day... However today I'm feeling great, I have a big exam in two days and need an excuse to procrastinate so the test shoulderpad is finally done!

med_gallery_92948_12966_709183.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12966_567806.jpg

I'm quite happy with the test so I'm calling it the official colour scheme from now on. Next up will be painting the carapace and setting the damm website, which has remained almost finished for ages and just needs to have images of my work added...

Wow that looks fantastic, love the patterns! Can't wait to see the whole titan painted like this. I honestly forgot that this was a commission at first, definitely going to be sad to give away. Good luck on your exam and finishing the website!

Vairocanum, on 05 Apr 2017 - 07:34 AM, said:

Vairocanum, on 05 Apr 2017 - 07:34 AM, said:

Wow that looks fantastic, love the patterns! Can't wait to see the whole titan painted like this. I honestly forgot that this was a commission at first, definitely going to be sad to give away. Good luck on your exam and finishing the website!

Thanks brother, exam went alright and I hope to get the site finished when I come back from vacations.

So, I'm going to leave for a week in where I won't be able to paint a thing, but wanted to leave this sneak pic before to shoe that I've made progress since the shoulder-pad:

med_gallery_92948_12966_284214.jpg

Edit: managed to make even more progress before I leave, I would say that at this point the base layer pattern is almost complete, though I will probably add some things when I come back.

med_gallery_92948_12966_829362.jpg

Re-edit: hehe I should have waited until I was gone to post this update at all, cause I've managed to scrap a couple of minutes more of painting and fixed the star, which I didn't like too much:

med_gallery_92948_12966_1553421.jpg

Edited by The Traitor

Maximvs, on 26 Mar 2017 - 9:53 PM, said:

http://bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_images/carbon_red/snapback.png

Very cool shoulder pad.

Not to put words on Mechanist mouth, but I think he means non daemonically possessed knights instead of loyalist ones.

Thanks, that would make sense I guess :tongue.:.

Death to the false emperor. ahem.. yes 'The Black Ruin' will be a chaos house dedicated to the black legion and I've got the second one to work on soon as I finish the first.

Your one is looking great in red and white and the patterns are brilliant. enjoy your time away.

I really like the asymmetry of the patterns, going to look even more amazing after finish all the shades! Definitely looking forward to seeing more, hope you have a good trip!

Thanks brother, I'm finally back! Shades definitely make it look better.

Yep, I am with Vairo on this, love the asymetry.

Shades will look awesome and I reckon bring it together nicely!

Thanks, asymmetry=chaos :P.

WOW! That looks amazing.

Glad you like it, but there's still a lot of work to be done on this chap...

Maximvs, on 26 Mar 2017 - 9:53 PM, said:

http://bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_images/carbon_red/snapback.png

Very cool shoulder pad.

Thanks, that would make sense I guess :tongue.:.

Death to the false emperor. ahem.. yes 'The Black Ruin' will be a chaos house dedicated to the black legion and I've got the second one to work on soon as I finish the first.

Your one is looking great in red and white and the patterns are brilliant. enjoy your time away.

Can't wait to see another knight from you! I mostly chose red and white to do something different from the Harvesters of Souls scheme, but I'm liking a lot how it looks so far.

The option 2 groin plate looks too Eldar!

More reasons to not pick it then! I believe that it is too late to go back now, so don't worry ;)!

So, I'm back from vacation and, even though I'm still a little fuzzy because of the jet lag, I managed to finish the carapace between yesterday's afternoon and today's midday:

med_gallery_92948_12966_387892.jpg

med_gallery_92948_12966_292879.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12966_48093.jpg

Next up is the second shoulder-pad, I'm still not sure on how I should make the mouth, completely black or red with a black throat freehand?

Can't wait to see another knight from you! I mostly chose red and white to do something different from the Harvesters of Souls scheme, but I'm liking a lot how it looks so far.

Don't hold your breath I'm completely bogged down with stuff at the moment from house renovations, masters degree work and about half a dozen projects on the go I won't be starting anything else for a while especially if the kids wont go to sleep before 9.

The colour variation on that carapace is beautiful from the deep red to the lighter is looks like blood has washed over the pure white underneath with foul chaos symbols. I absolutely love it.