The Grimdark Harvest: Evil Sunz Meganob

Okay, something weird happened this week. When the Renegade box was originally released I though that it wasn't a limited edition thing and that I would be able to get it in some years when I had the money. However it wasn't, so it was a big letdown when it stopped being sold, as buying a Knight in this box was so much more affordable than buying it independently.
However this week two Renegade boxes arrived at my local store misteriously and without any logical explanation! The first one was sold almost instantly, but the manager started asking people if they wanted the remaining one. My original plan from when the box was released was to pick it up with a friend, have a Knight each and build the scenery for a "basement" in where we both play but, unfortunately, my friend was pretty broke and said that he won't be able to afford it for some time. I tried and tried to find someone who wanted a Knight from the box, but no one did so, at the end, this happened:
med_gallery_92948_12550_911724.jpg
So yeah, I bought the box alone... However it is something I couldn't afford and had to ask money for it, specially knowing that Mass Effect Andromeda is being released next week for those with early access (such as me, the 10% discount it offers makes it actually cheaper to buy in that way). This means that I'm, sadly, going to have to sell one of the Knights and possibly even the building. The thing is that, while I'm at it, I though that I could convert it and paint it and sell it for a larger amount of money on eBay or other interested people to make it more profitable and decided to start a comission painting service.
I have made many commissions in the past, but it always was on a local scale to people that I more or less knew, so I decided to take this a step farther and sell overseas, as converting and painting others models is something that I actually enjoy, because it gives me the opportunity to execute ideas outside of what my army would usually be. So, if you are interested in a converted and painted Imperial Knight, or know someone that might be, do not doubt on sending me a PM.

However these are not reasons to create a WIP thread, so this isn't here for the purpose of selling my product but rather for the purpose of sharing my progress on it to receive feedback and be able to improve. Right now I don't know what I should make from the following list:
- Regular Imperial Knight: just changing the pose, making a fancy base and painting it well. It is simple but it doesn't offer as many possibilities as the other options.
- Renegade Knight: same as above but with Chaos motifs and maybe some minor conversions.
- Chaos Knight: this is where the fun starts. The idea would be to heavily convert the Knight to make it look daemonical and chaosy, with mutations and all of those things.
- Cerastus Knight: this is possibly the most difficult option, as it means that I have to change the model proportions and make his weapons from scratch, and I don't know if people would want to buy it...
I'm right now more inclined forward to the Chaos Knight option, as I believe that it is the one which offers more possibilities while not being as risky as the Cerastus, but I'm still pretty undecided, so I'm open to any suggestion, even other options that I haven't considered in here. If you want to see some of my most recent work for headlines of what I'm capable of follow the link of my signature to my WIP thread and, also, I'm making a web page that will be finished soon hopefully. Thanks a lot for your attention!

Edited by The Traitor

Chaos Cerastus Knight? :wink:

Haha, double difficulty... I will leave that conversion for a Knight that I actually intend to keep! ;)

So, at the end I decided to go for Chaos Knight, though I'm not going to mutate it too much so that it can still be used as a Renegade. And after a day of work this is how he looks:

gallery_92948_12966_447783.jpg

All of his armour plates are either blue tacked or simply fitted, as I don't want to commit suicide while I paint this monster, but otherwise he's coming along nicely, I actually expected it to be more difficult. Even though he's still at very early WIP stages I'm already quite happy about how he's looking, the mask conversion added a lot to the model.

sml_gallery_92948_12966_312370.jpgsml_gallery_92948_12966_757984.jpgsml_gallery_92948_12966_133226.jpg

So, what do you think about my humble Chaos Knight? I'm still thinking of how to pose the arms, any ideas? He'll have a chainsaw and a magnetised rapid fire battle cannon/ thermal cannon, but I want his pose to be different from the usual firing the cannon with chainsword downwards if possible, however, I don't know how :P.

Aw, man, that's looking pretty great! I don't think I've seen that mask bit being used in that way yet -- excellent idea! If I can make one suggestion, the banner between the Knight's legs looks a bit too clean and "goody two-shoes" for the general look you are going for, though.

Watching this develop with interest! :)

Face mask is looking awesome bud, I've used the lower jaw from that on one of the standard IK faceplates but wasn't sure how the whole yoke would work. You've proven it works incredibly well. :tu: Agree with Kraut about the banner needing a little work, the Bloodletters banners work really well in that space. ;)

Face mask is looking awesome bud, I've used the lower jaw from that on one of the standard IK faceplates but wasn't sure how the whole yoke would work. You've proven it works incredibly well. :thumbsup: Agree with Kraut about the banner needing a little work, the Bloodletters banners work really well in that space. :wink:

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I was thinking of -- or a warriors of chaos banner, maybe. Something a little more frayed around the edges than the prim and proper stock banner ;)

Very promising tronco. Maybe you can have the sword pointing onwards and the cannon down at his right?

P.S: The head is fantastic.

Thanks ;)! That is actually a good idea, will try it out when I start the arms.

Aw, man, that's looking pretty great! I don't think I've seen that mask bit being used in that way yet -- excellent idea! If I can make one suggestion, the banner between the Knight's legs looks a bit too clean and "goody two-shoes" for the general look you are going for, though.

Watching this develop with interest! :smile.:

Thank for the kind compliments, you're totally right about the banner, already changed!

Face mask is looking awesome bud, I've used the lower jaw from that on one of the standard IK faceplates but wasn't sure how the whole yoke would work. You've proven it works incredibly well. :thumbsup: Agree with Kraut about the banner needing a little work, the Bloodletters banners work really well in that space. :wink:

Thanks, I have the whole chaos chariot kit lying around from the Start Collecting box and, since that bit doesn't fit the aesthetics of my Harvesters of Souls, I decided to use it in here, even though I'll have to give it away...

heeey, the horned skull looks great! something that has helped me a bunch is the tentacle tool to make cables out of greenstuff, i found them great to use for chaos enhancements and demonic / mechanical upgrades!

keep thsis coming :biggrin.:

Thanks a lot! The tentacle maker is certainly great, just tried it out for the first time on my daemon prince sculpt and it was awesome! I may add some cables to the head, as they do make models look more chaosy in an unexplainable way :P.

Man that knight is looking stellar! Loving all the details so far, especially the "carved" runes in the armor. Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks brother, watch out my WIP thread for a tutorial on those!

It was great to get so much positive feedback guys, thanks a lot for the comments! So, even though it didn't advance as much as yesterday, here he is as he stands right now:

gallery_92948_12966_768250.jpg

Okay, so most of my work today went to the carapace, in where I've started greenstuffing two crossed chains, like if the daemon/ pilot was locked inside. I must admit that it is the first time that I sculpt something like this, and right now only the parallel links are finished, so I'll have to see it when I make the perpendicular ones to see if it is a good method. I've also added some fractures, like if the trapped inhabitant of the knight was trying to get out; and claw scratchs going inside the cabin, like if something beastly had been carried to there. I'm not fully convinced if that is what they transmit, so I don't know if I should leave them or if with the cracks there is enough detail in the carapace, any opinions?

med_gallery_92948_12966_439735.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12966_813683.jpg

I've also added minor details to other armour plates, lots of carved runes, as they're quite entertaining to make ;):

med_gallery_92948_12966_241080.jpg

Also, after reading your comments, I realised that you were totally right about the banner and I replaced it for a Chaos Marauder one, what do you think about it? Maybe too tattered now?

med_gallery_92948_12966_61206.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12966_316647.jpg

At last I've elongated the back exhaust pipes with plastirod, but I'm not too sure about the final result, maybe it is too orkish... What are your opinions on it? Yay or nay?

Love all the new details you've added, especially the carved runes and chaos marauder banner. I think the extended exhausts look a bit too simple at the moment which is why they might seem orkish. Once you've worked your GS magic it should look fine :thumbsup:

IF your selling this knight, I might be interested. If your selling it, would you mind if I pm you my email adress so we can discuss this off B@C?

Already sent you a PM ;).

Loving the horned head and the green stuff chain. Was that easy to sculpt?

Thanks brother! While the chain wasn't difficult at all to sculpt it was a long process, maybe I'll do a tutorial on that one of this days. You do need to make it in two stages however.

Love all the new details you've added, especially the carved runes and chaos marauder banner. I think the extended exhausts look a bit too simple at the moment which is why they might seem orkish. Once you've worked your GS magic it should look fine :thumbsup:

Thanks for the praise Vaircanum, there's still much more detailing left to do though! About the exhausts I tried adding some ornamentation, but it didn't work as well as I expected, so I'll have to add something else... How about fire coming out from it?

Excellent work so far. About the banner, is just fine, maybe cut the hooks, but it fits perfectly as ragged as it is.

Thanks a lot! Are the hooks too oversized? I actually like the look of them, they seem perfect to hang guts and other organs from... :P

This afternoon I mostly spent my hobby time building the arms, but I also finished the crossed chains of the cabin:

gallery_92948_12966_965817.jpg

I'm quite happy with how the chains turned out, and the second stage was way simpler and quicker than the first one once I figured out that I could make it from a single greenstuff tube... After I had already done a whole chain link by link... Is the difference too noticeable?

med_gallery_92948_12966_210864.jpg

I also toyed around with some poses, don't really know which to use:

med_gallery_92948_12966_152725.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12966_692432.jpg

med_gallery_92948_12966_187236.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12966_101615.jpg

Maybe I'll leave him as he is right now so that he can be posed as desired... Will ask the client what he wants if I get one before finishing the knight.

From the batch of poses, I'd go for the first one on the post :P

Also, about the hooks, is not that they're oversized (they are) but that they look like if they're gonna hook on the power cables. Maybe a couple of skulls instead? Or better yet, ask your customer, because my opinion doesn't have to match his :)

Anyway, your knight is coming along really good!

From the batch of poses, I'd go for the first one on the post :tongue.:

Also, about the hooks, is not that they're oversized (they are) but that they look like if they're gonna hook on the power cables. Maybe a couple of skulls instead? Or better yet, ask your customer, because my opinion doesn't have to match his :smile.:

Anyway, your knight is coming along really good!

I will not glue it until it is finished if I glue it at all, so I will not decide the pose until then... ;) You might be right about the hooks, I will try out other things and see, thanks for the input!

From the batch of poses, I'd go for the first one on the post :tongue.:

Seconded. The "Come at me, bro!" look never gets old, plus it goes really well with that facemask.

The GS chain is a thing of beauty. Excellent work all around! :smile.:

Yes, it is definitely a cool pose, it will surely be one of the top contestants. Thanks about the chain, I'm pretty happy with it myself and will try to use that technique again as soon as possible :P!

Maybe cut the hooks off and re-position them to face forward?

I was actually thinking of making them face downwards, but I will try that too and see how it looks!

He's looking great, I think pose 3 works best for me. But like you say maybe best to leave it poseable and the banner works great

Yeah, I will live him poseable at the moment but it is true that, specially for gaming reasons, it is kind of cumbersome having his arms and body rotating all the time...

Wow the chains turned out really nice! I like pose 1 & 2 (leaning toward 2). You could try adding some chaos arrows on the exhausts, also fire sounds great! Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks brother! The exhausts might be too small for properly looking arrows, but I will try it later. Also I don't know if I should sculpt fire on the four tubes or just in the taller ones...

So, I made some progress on him, basically chaosifying all around:

gallery_92948_12966_510625.jpeg

There is still some work to do, but it will mostly be smaller details here and there.

I like a lot how this shoulder pad turned out. "He was a hurricane of destruction through the lines of those that claimed to fight for the greater good, killing everyone who stood in his path and shooting his rapid fire battlecannon point blank. He impaled a filthy xenos in a Crisis battlesuit with his viciously-looking foe-reaper chainsword, raised him into the air and... devoured him with his shoulder".

med_gallery_92948_12966_299637.jpeg

Inspired by the actual Chaos Knight model from FW, I sculpted a huge chaos star going through his carapace and shoulder pad. Additionally to keep him really poseable I drilled the connection of the pistons in the gun arm, gluing them with a pin, keeping the arm movable downwards and upwards. I also sculpted some teeth in the battle cannon to make it look more daemonical.

med_gallery_92948_12966_526601.jpeg

At last, I've made some carvings on the chainsword, but will add a spike at the end in the fashion of the one that the FW model has:

med_gallery_92948_12966_312075.jpeg

I think that the next I will do will be working on the foe-reaper sword, as well as chaosifying the power plant in the back (more chains?). Hope you like him!

Awesome new details, the teeth look amazing! Will you have a  wrecked crisis suit on the base? I think fire in all four exhausts would be better than just the two taller ones. Brilliant work as usual, looking forward to seeing more!