Almagor's Dark Angels

Almagor

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in agreement, the Dreadnoughts look awesome.

My only comment is that iId make the barrels of the multi-melta bigger on the second one as it's.... Kind of tiny and not close to how large melta barrels are usually shown?

Thank you!

Purely aesthetically speaking, you are probably right. A slightly larger hole might look better. The art and models of meltas and multi-meltas are quite inconsistent. Some have large bores and some small. My reasoning is that the only reason to have a large bore on a barrel is if you are firing a large caliber projectile. Energy based weapons, weather las, flame, melta or plasma have no need for a large bore on the barrel.

How do you get the barrel so centered ? When I try it’s always slightly offset

1. I make a tiny indentation with a pin tack. If it's not dead center, I make another one, till I'm happy with it.

2. I make a pilot hole with a very small diameter drill bit

3. I expand the hole with progressively larger drill bits till I reach the desired diameter. Could take 2 stages for a small diameter like 1mm or up to 4 stages for a large one, like 3mm

Practice makes perfect.  Also, don't always succeed... Look carefully through this thread, you'll see quite a few of my blunders.

I'm in agreement, the Dreadnoughts look awesome.

My only comment is that iId make the barrels of the multi-melta bigger on the second one as it's.... Kind of tiny and not close to how large melta barrels are usually shown?

Thank you!

Purely aesthetically speaking, you are probably right. A slightly larger hole might look better. The art and models of meltas and multi-meltas are quite inconsistent. Some have large bores and some small. My reasoning is that the only reason to have a large bore on a barrel is if you are firing a large caliber projectile. Energy based weapons, weather las, flame, melta or plasma have no need for a large bore on the barrel.

That makes sense, yeah. I personally like the depiction in the Space Marine 3rd-person shooter game where the melta's wide barrel was so that a "cone" of thermal energy was projected from it. Which also fits the description I get from a lot of the Black Library novels (in that Melta weapons shoot out a cone of thermal energy)

Edited by Gederas

How do you get the barrel so centered ? When I try it’s always slightly offset

1. I make a tiny indentation with a pin tack. If it's not dead center, I make another one, till I'm happy with it.

2. I make a pilot hole with a very small diameter drill bit

3. I expand the hole with progressively larger drill bits till I reach the desired diameter. Could take 2 stages for a small diameter like 1mm or up to 4 stages for a large one, like 3mm

Practice makes perfect. Also, don't always succeed... Look carefully through this thread, you'll see quite a few of my blunders.

Ah, the tiny indent with a pin is what I wasn’t doing. I would try to use my exacto blade to make the initial hole and I could never get it centered enough. I’ll try the pin now and hopefully it’ll be better

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...