Storm eagle tactics

Bythehololight

I was looking at a storm eagle gunship, and considering packing 10 terminators into it and using it a a delivery system for them.

Then attempting to go tank hunting after dropping off the terminators.

Is this a good option or too much of a gamble? 20 man blob instead possibly?

2 reasons I'd stay away from them:

1.) the model is terrible to put together

2.) there exists better delivery systems. If you want to do 10 dudes, run a Spartan or a Caestus. Much more durable and have better weapons. If you don't want to drop big points/$$$ I'd go for an anvillus pod for 5 (I've used them to great effect) or a Kharybdis pod (also to great effect). The last two I'd highly recommend because I have never failed to get my unit where they need to be on table. Plus your dudes won't suffer S10 AP2 hits if your transport gets shot down.

Is it an assault transport like the spartan? Can the troops disembark the turn the storm eagle deepstrikes in?

It is an assault transport but you can't assault on the turn you deepstrike so earliest turn 3 assault or even later with bad reserve rolls (unless you are pertuabo in which case turn 2)

Is it an assault transport like the spartan? Can the troops disembark the turn the storm eagle deepstrikes in?

Cant charge the turn you deepstrike.

So while, yes, it can deepstrike T2 and disembark the troops, they basically have to sit there and get shot / shoot back. T3 Charge at the earliest outside of T1 Reserves.

A Spartan can: Move 12" and Flat Out T1, Disembark 6" Move 6" and Charge 2D6" T2 for the occupants.

A Kharybdis, 20 slot pod, lets you DS T1 with Inertial Guidance and flat out into a better position. Same move as the spartan T2.

Caestus is hardier but has the same issues as a Storm Eagle.

I deep strike mine turn one due to drop pod assault and just flat out with it or use its missiles. T2 I move 6", deploy 6", then assault 2d6. Guaranteed to get you where you need to go.

Capacity of 20 dudes or 10 terminators or a Primarch and a bunch of his best buddies.

It's a flying party bus. Oh yeah.

Food for thought... if you take storm eagle and skyshield landing pad you can deploy the Storm eagle on the pad during deployment so it can fly around turn 1 due to the pad's ready for take off rule probably expensive but it is a cool way of getting s storm eagle onto the board turn 1:D and if the pad is shielded the storm eagle gets a 4+ inv sv against shooting attacks

If I was going to use the storm eagle to transport terminators for 2500 point games.

Where I know 9 out of 10 people I could be playing against are running a Primarch.

How should I load up my terminators?

I was thinking 5 with dual lightning claws and 1 chain fist incase they end up near some armour.

I have an additional 5 terminators but not sure I should run a 10 man unit. They are tartaros, but I could proxy as cataphractii.

I'm running a BA army list with day of revelation Row.

The rest of my force is 2 assault squads with a apothecary each. One with chaplain one with my consul.

5 jump pack destroyers.

3 grav rapiers.

Leviathan

Veteran tactical squad and/or Support squad

Heavy support squad with volkite culverin

I'm still fine tuning my army list, and I'm trying to decide to take my terminators as anti Primarch unit, or for tearing up the opponents back field??

If I was going to use the storm eagle to transport terminators for 2500 point games.

Where I know 9 out of 10 people I could be playing against are running a Primarch.

How should I load up my terminators?

I was thinking 5 with dual lightning claws and 1 chain fist incase they end up near some armour.

I have an additional 5 terminators but not sure I should run a 10 man unit. They are tartaros, but I could proxy as cataphractii.

I'm running a BA army list with day of revelation Row.

The rest of my force is 2 assault squads with a apothecary each. One with chaplain one with my consul.

5 jump pack destroyers.

3 grav rapiers.

Leviathan

Veteran tactical squad and/or Support squad

Heavy support squad with volkite culverin

I'm still fine tuning my army list, and I'm trying to decide to take my terminators as anti Primarch unit, or for tearing up the opponents back field??

Dedicated Lightning claw terminators are to expensive for what they do. Maybe if you are raven Guard at least Talons with furious charge and prefered enemy characters you can kill something. But otherwise I'd always go bare minimum axes but honestly fists / chain fists are best (hammers are okay but most things don't last long enough to warrant the points every game for them)

Archived