DIY ideas

recon0321

Hello everyone

I have a idea for a DIY chapter and I have a name picked out but it's taken by another chapter. the chapter in name is the Ash Scorpions. The reason I ask this is because I want to base their home planet off Arrakis from Dune and Nocturne obviously from the Salamanders..so I want the chapters name to reflect with their Home planet...any ideas?

Hello everyone

I have a idea for a DIY chapter and I have a name picked out but it's taken by another chapter. the chapter in name is the Ash Scorpions. The reason I ask this is because I want to base their home planet off Arrakis from Dune and Nocturne obviously from the Salamanders..so I want the chapters name to reflect with their Home planet...any ideas?

Actually, for the majority of the chapters the name doesn't reflect the homeworld (exceptions: Patriarchs of Ulixis and Praetors of Orpheus) as the canon implies the name is often picked before the homeworld.  That being said, nothing says you cannot do that. 

White / Black / Grey / Imperial Scorpions.   

Scorpion Lords

Patriarchs of [your planet name]

Guardians of [your planet name]

Praetors of [your planet name]

And what Draakur suggested.  

Hello everyone

Actually, for the majority of the chapters the name doesn't reflect the homeworld (exceptions: Patriarchs of Ulixis and Praetors of Orpheus) as the canon implies the name is often picked before the homeworld.  That being said, nothing says you cannot do that.

This is true, of course. I'm so used to people not caring or not realising that I tend to just respond without bringing it up. But yes, despite the amount of examples that suggest otherwise or stand as exceptions, it's typically the case that the Chapter name is decided well before the Chapter has a Homeworld, or develops a specific disposition, or any real culture or idiosyncratic practices at all.

Ok so I haven't figured out much to go off...I was thinking that the Chapter discovers the planet and it was a former Mining world for the AdMech and the planet was stripped bare of any useful resources. the chapter then decided to make the Planet theirs....and utilizes the underground mining tunnels as their chapter fortress..

It's not a terrible theme. Will the planet's population be tough, hardy zealots like the Fremen?

If you're not going to directly copy Arrakis, which I don't recommend you do, maybe they could be the Ash Wyrms, which implies a more lizard-y, dragon-ish feel than an actual worm, but it would be a nice nod to Dune without being too obvious hopefully? And it would be a name that doesn't directly tie to a homeworld they wouldn't have know about when there were created?

Desert color-scheme, inspiration from Dune, and a dash of Middle-Eastern culture and mysticism to top it off all off. If done juuuuuust right, that would be a home brew of the year, without question... I know, the temptation must be killing you now. Hehe

Ash Wardens is great. But how will you make using the scorpion a symbol make sense?

Are you stuck on Ash more than Scorpions? I was going to suggest that Their name be something space related and their name could be derived from Scorpius fluff wise so as to avoid being too tied to the desert?

One of the synonyms I found for scorpion is harvestman. As such, what about the Ash Harvesters.

The name can denote the colonization of their home world, combat doctrine, general demeanor to others, etc. There are many ways to harvest depending on what the harvest is.

This would also allow you to use the scorpion icon as a scorpion is a "harvester".

Just a suggestion, but I thought it might help. Been doing a little research on scorpions themselves who do indeed build a tunnel network, kind of like ants do, no matter what area or species they are. Adding the thesaurus searches and latin translations of many of the words you wish to use, this is the best I could come up with that goes with your theme.

Hope it helps!

It's not a terrible theme. Will the planet's population be tough, hardy zealots like the Fremen?

If you're not going to directly copy Arrakis, which I don't recommend you do, maybe they could be the Ash Wyrms, which implies a more lizard-y, dragon-ish feel than an actual worm, but it would be a nice nod to Dune without being too obvious hopefully? And it would be a name that doesn't directly tie to a homeworld they wouldn't have know about when there were created?

I really like Ash Wyrms. It fits the concept, sounds good, flows nicely.

While the Ash Wardens sounds alright, it doesn't quite roll off the tongue for me. I'd either change it to either the Wardens of Ash or the Ashen Wardens. That or if you're really wanting to use scorpions then simply replace Wardens with Scorpions. It's just how you feel which applies more to your chapter. Warden implies that your chapter see's themselves are protectors and more of a defensive apporach to things while Scorpion leans more towards a perhaps more animalistic/tribal approach and could mean they fight in a similar fashion to how a scoprion would.

I know this is major blasphemy but I know very little of Dune and that universe... so why in Terra's name would the be protecting ash? Or harvesting ash? What meaning is hidden behind their name? Do they literally collect/protect ashes? Is it a metaphor for something? And ashes from what? Plants, animals, humans, xenos, enemies, allies, who cares?

Hence why I suggested Ashen Wardens further up. Ash Wardens both doesn't roll off the tongue, as Dizzyeye said, but it's also kind of a silly name as soon as you break it down in my opinion, lol.

Just another point about Ashen over Ash. The definition of Ashen is either describing a persons' face as being pale along with being an adjective describing an object being like ash, meaning that the chapter can be described as rising from the ground after the Horus Heresy or a similar conflict in which only ashes remained. So yeah, its why Ashen Wardens seems like a better name to me.

Archived