New Duardin conversion ideas?

So, looking forward to the new Duardian models and want to convert some up into AM, as per the B&C guidelines. I'd like advice on what you guys think to convert the infantry into lasgun toting Squats and such. I'm thinking I might need to go third party for the weapons, due to the arms. This is going to be down the line, but gives me an excuse to paint some Lemans.

You don't need to convert them lol. They are straight out Squats. Sadly you won't be able to post them as they are here on the B&C because GW sells them as "AoS" models ^^

BCK put up a post that we could post them as conversion's here or in the forge, thats why I wanted to make the effort of making them slightly more 40k. smile.png

I just read that - sounds good, still I'm unsure if we would be allowed to post them *without* conversions. I really like the style and my Squats will be mostly these guys *

Tbh, it's quite obvious the idea behind the army is to allow 40k players to get some Squats without re-doing "Squats" and also have a new army for AoS.

*mostly these guys as in:

Probably 1:1 as they come with a few new units converted (for example a dreadnought style walker, *maybe* some boltgun dudes). They are already looking quite 30k for me already, they are an ideal bridge between Space Dwarf, Mechanicum and Solar Auxilia styles imo. Old Squats had access to lasguns and boltguns, but so had Orks and Eldar - imo "these day Squats" would have unique weapons similiar to Adeptus Mechanicus/Mechanicum, not just the same stuff as guard/marines.

I'm also already thinking about some fluff for them - based and expanded on their old 40k fluff. I would expect their airships (fun fact, they even had airships in EPIC) would actually be anti-grav vehicles to counter the gravity issues on their planets. Only "problem" so far on that - I need an excuse why the Imperium would have to use Arkhan's stuff instead of Squat Antigrav technology :P

BCK put up a post that we could post them as conversion's here or in the forge, thats why I wanted to make the effort of making them slightly more 40k. :)

Yes, anything posted in the Forge will need to be suitably converted to be a part of the 40K aesthetic. The Forge Mods, IG Mods and Admins are going to have to discuss what the extent of conversions will need to be, but good ideas would probably revolve around weapon types being recognizably 40K and things that can be taken from the IG Codex, making transports appear to use 40K motive methods (anti-grav plating, jet engines, tracks or bulky tires), electrical wiring/conduits, etc. The kind of thing that would make it clear that we are dealing with something that exists within the realm of the Imperium, rather than some kind of separate Xenos race or stock fantasy models that would fall outside the allowances of the board.

around weapon types being recognizably 40K

You are aware how they look already, right?

gallery_79873_10492_25983.jpg

gallery_79873_10492_4073.jpg

gallery_79873_10492_89544.jpg

es, anything posted in the Forge will need to be suitably converted to be a part of the 40K aesthetic. The Forge Mods, IG Mods and Admins are going to have to discuss what the extent of conversions will need to be, but good ideas would probably revolve around weapon types being recognizably 40K and things that can be taken from the IG Codex, making transports appear to use 40K motive methods (anti-grav plating, jet engines, tracks or bulky tires), etc.

So you are basically saying: So, there is these new army that fits as Squats perfectly but we will decide how much people need to change them in order to allow them to post Squats on the forum because the boxes have an AoS stamp and we are the only one to decide how Squats would look in 40k. Seriously, get over it, it's about fun and creativity and finally beeing able to do Squats, not about forcing people to do stuff with their plastic soldiers^^

This isn't the place to debate the rules of the B&C, so let's get back on topic please.

The new range appears to lack a great deal of the equipment Guard use non-vehicle wise, so looks like some weapon conversion work at the least to get a system going to represent the various upgrades. I'm not sure if they're on 25mm bases from those images, it may be that Guard aren't the best fit for these Squats-as.

Squats are an Imperium Faction as well. Well...they used to be. I'd definitely say they could count as space marines add some scout arms for boltguns a little green stuff and boom. Or a fan dex etc. If you go with the Demiurg rout they are sadly an ally of the Tau empire.

Krash

I like the idea of them being purely abhuman, maybe from a high gravity tech world, where they churn out Tanks and heavy weapons. I think maybe a Armor heavy AM list or a Iron Hands SM army? I really want to see the kits, since the pictures show all different load outs, I'm hoping I can equip a whole squad with one weapon type. Weirdly enough, I can see them working well as GKs, with the Gatling weapons, Big Cannons, Jumpy Guys and Big Heavy Guys, and lots of Hammers and Spears.....hmmmmmmm

I'd also like to do a fan dex too.

Seeing as they already have chainswords and assault cannons they are already very 30k/40k in appearance. And they weren't always part of the imperium so having imperial tech and icons doesn't make sensense as a mandate as we don't require that of chaos.

I would love to see these used as squats but I'm at a loss for what exactly must be done to suitable convert them at a mininum. As for requiring grav plates etc... what did the epic squat derigibles look like?

They all look very armoured even power armoured btw. So I think they will be best used as a counts as heavy infantry. So SM, SoB, maybe scions...

My conversion ideas include chainswords and bolt pistols on the melee/pistol guys but then you are discarding some cool archeotech pistols, so idk.

Obviously they have a lot of heavy guns that look like artificer heavy weapons... some look like assault cannons some like missile launchers some like an energy weapn, grav, plas, or Volkite maybe...

So my final 40k assesment.

Bolters, boltpistol and chainswords as much as appropriate.

Imperial or admech iconography (not mandatory since they could be independent or precompliance) would be easiest to appease the mods. Not doing this should require other heavier 40king.

Purity seals and guitar string cables.ig and sm magazine pouches etc... ig and sm GRENADES.

That's all I can think of...

Edit... dead 40k stuff on bases...

They're lacking in armour though, and will likely never get tanks as Guard use them so if you did a tank heavy list you'd pretty much just be doing a Guard army anyway even with converted Dwarven tank commanders. The Squat theme would be through the infantry itself, so that'd where it'd be best to focus efforts.

I reckon these miniatures will be quite tall compared to standard Squat miniatures. I also reckon that there is a definite need to weapon swap them (as a minimum) so that they 'toe the line' of the Astra Millitarum lists.

I think that it is an interesting direction to take the fantasy Dwarfs in but, in my opinion, they are a bit too steam punk as they are to fit my idea of what the Squats should be; especially when trying to tie them into the Astra Millitarum lists.

.. and those 'anti-gravity spheres' are dreadfull.

But we all like different things...

They're lacking in armour though, and will likely never get tanks as Guard use them so if you did a tank heavy list you'd pretty much just be doing a Guard army anyway even with converted Dwarven tank commanders. The Squat theme would be through the infantry itself, so that'd where it'd be best to focus efforts.

Indeed - they are lacking on the tank side, so that's something to figure out (especially as it should fit the style of the GW airships). If FW's Custodes/Sisters showed one thing - I wouldn't use just existing tanks. That's not the way Forgeworld would approach them today.

Regarding rules and count as stuff - I understand that there are people who mostly play, but I couldn't care less about having to write homebrew rules - that said I would wait a few months for writing a full fan-dex, atleast from the rules perspective. Rules are just a framework, and this is a game. It's about fun smile.png

I don't think "just" using a exisiting Codex should be the only way to allow them here though - Squats always were their own army. The original EPIC list had infantry, (I think) bikes, tanks, lots of heavy tank stuff, airplanes/airships and trains (!).

Just some thoughts about already previewed stuff:

HQ:

gallery_79873_10492_99437.jpg

The Classic Squat HQ - Guildmaster/Warlord. He's already looking as he would wear Exo-armour (Exo-pattern power armour?).

gallery_79873_10492_13203.jpg

Some kind of Smith/Ancestor guy.

TROOPS:

gallery_79873_10492_13230.jpg

Core infantry with carapace armour. I would swap some of the normal axes for chain axes, and maybe allow them boltguns as alternate weapons.

ELITE:

gallery_79873_10492_4186.jpg

Hearthguard with Exo-armour. We totally need a close combat build for them tongue.png

FAST ATTACK:

gallery_79873_10492_84536.jpg

Guys with jump packs. They also have a chainsword/pistol build in the box, so that's no issue.

HEAVY SUPPORT:

gallery_79873_10492_41529.jpg

Airship/Anti-grav ship. They had them in EPIC already (way before other armies got flyers there).

They are btw all fully armoured and sealed - no bit of skin. They also have backpacks and their weapons have energy cabels already.

Here's some quick paint testers via Chef

gallery_79873_10492_66286.jpg

I really like the "Ultramarine" scheme. I think some weathering would also help to make them more "30k/40k". Also, we totally need thudd-guns, mole launchers and maybe (although I'm not a fan of that) bikes and attack bikes.

All these references you make are not Guard units though?

They are not, I never said that :)

We have to use the guard forum for discussions about them for now though, right? I'm really hyped for starting my own version of the Squats, based on their old 1st/2nd edition fluff btw.

gallery_79873_10492_479466.jpg

gallery_79873_10492_83213.jpg

gallery_79873_10492_5225.jpg

Squats: the original space vikings tongue.png

I have to say even as a fan of steam punk type stuff I don't like these. One of my mates told me about these because of that but I've thought about it and scrutinised pictures and they're just not for me. Squats were never a 40K steampunk army, these can only serve as exo-suits - the rank and file looked more like IG.

If anyone hasn't seen Inso's thread of awesomeness go check it out here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/306932-astra-imperial-guard-with-a-hint-of-heresy/

happy.png

The point being made is that if you want to go 'outside the guard box' then maybe this isn't the place to post the ideas... because this is ONLY the guard box msn-wink.gif (seeing as it is the Astra Millitarum section).

All the ideas are great but they aren't guard.

Now Squats fitting into the Astra Millitarum Codex are a different matter :)

I am seriously thinking of making a "Iron Priest" squat. With the unique design of the Stormfang/Stormwolf and helfrost weapons, having some engineers that know what their doing aka squats, would be extremly useful.

Imagine taking this guy https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/GAMA-KO-ArkanautAdmiral-Content.jpg

Giving him the proper colors and giving him a helfrost pistol from the normal Iron Priest https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Iron-Priest

Please keep non-Guard relevant discussion out of the barracks - leave the power armour at the door or you'll find it no protection against the commissariat msn-wink.gif

That's cool, but could you tell us which sub forum would be the right one for .... less guard-copy like squats :)?

Archived